Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Wheels

renault12ts

Hi all, first post, hope you can help.

My Rav4 is four wheel drive. When one front wheel is jacked up off the ground, would you expect to be able to move the wheel freely, or would you expect some resistance? If you feel resistance, how much?

Thanks.

Welcome to the club.

You can rock back and too about 30mm freely (maybe just the pads rubbing) but to turn it fully requires quite a lot of effort due to the resistance in the transmission.

Why?

Welcome to the club.

You can rock back and too about 30mm freely (maybe just the pads rubbing) but to turn it fully requires quite a lot of effort due to the resistance in the transmission.

Why?

I have a terrible noise from the front when the car is in motion. It's not the engine because this ticks over nice and quietly. The noise is there on freewheel (say going down a hill). I was trying to hear if it was a wheel bearing but could not spin the wheels enough to hear. There is no movement in either wheel when rocked at 9/3 or 12/6. The CV joint boots are intact at both ends on each shaft.

At a loss as to what to do next, more used to Mercedes than this one.

Have you checked things like a stone lodged between the disc and the dustshield. On one of my RAVs the dustshield corroded and scraped along the disc creating a scraping noise.,

If its not that it might be a wheel bearing starting to collapse possibly - the car is a bit prone to the nearside bearing for some reason

Have you checked things like a stone lodged between the disc and the dustshield. On one of my RAVs the dustshield corroded and scraped along the disc creating a scraping noise.,

If its not that it might be a wheel bearing starting to collapse possibly - the car is a bit prone to the nearside bearing for some reason

Thanks. Is there a good way of checking the bearing, or is it strip it and see?

If you can get any movement at all by hand you could try the 'screwdriver stethescope' method :unsure:

If you can get any movement at all by hand you could try the 'screwdriver stethescope' method :unsure:

Thanks I'll try that...should I wear a white coat too? ;)

I have had the wheel bearing go on the left wheel of my car. Couldn't tell much when the car was going straight but made a god awful noise when you turn the wheel. Like a grinding sound.

Thanks I'll try that...should I wear a white coat too? ;)

Not essential but you may want to consider rubber gloves............

Thing I found was that the bearing collapses quickly and then begins to wreck the hub. I bought a spare hub from PK (Pie King) as we'll need it when the bearing goes again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links