Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Get Your Car Back On The Road After Sorn?

corollat3sport

hi guys,

my insurance has ran out and there is a new law that if your car is not insured then you get fined.....however there is an exception if your car is on private property and off the road but you have to do a SORN which i have done today, the reason for this is insurance prices increasing and becoming ridiculous censored.gif

anyway i was thinking what will i have to do to get the car back on the road and un-SORNED when i have the money for insurance, i have MOT and tax, just no insurance

i should have the car back on the road by the beginning of july so what do i have to do when i want it back on the road?

basically how do i insure a sorned car back onto the road in july

thanks guys :D

when you want it back on the road, just retax it....

you must insure it first, you need a certificate of insurance to get a tax disc!

well the car has an mot until april n tax till the end of august, i only declared a SORN because of the new law

if i insure it lets say in july, will that un-SORN it?

No, you'll need to re-tax it to "de-sorn" it.

Declaring it SORN means "Statutory Off-Road Notification" meaning you are not using it on the road, ergo voiding the road tax.

You can claim back for the tax you haven't used by sending the tax disc back to the DVLA.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012526

well the car has an mot until april n tax till the end of august, i only declared a SORN because of the new law

if i insure it lets say in july, will that un-SORN it?

If it's MOT'd till next April 2012, taxed till the end of August, why don't you go for one of these Monthly payment insurances? t'will save you the hassle of declaring SORN and claiming back the unused road tax (which you only get full months for anyway)

Seems to me a much easier way of doing things and staying legal??

:thumbsup:

That sounds like a good idea actually. Surely the governments gotta come up with a much better system for SORN & Tax refunds now this new insurance things in place?

That sounds like a good idea actually. Surely the governments gotta come up with a much better system for SORN & Tax refunds now this new insurance things in place?

Ok - so you need petrol for the car to go...

The Government says you have to have the car insured, and taxed....

So:

1) 80 percent of what we pay for petrol is tax, increase this tax to take into account the price of road tax and stop this annual scrabble to find the cash - you buy petrol you pay road tax - you use the car more, you buy more petrol you pay more road tax... simples (and this from someone that drives a road tax free Prius - I must be mad)

2) you need petrol for the car to go and the Government wants you to insure your car...

you get from the insurance vampires a credit card - not the blood6 great bit of paper they give you now - as a certificate. This has a chip that contains your registration number, make and model and date and type of insurance as the paper does at the moment.

when you get to the pump, you put this card into a slot - the slot reads the number plate and make/model which is checked by the garages cctv - if it's valid the pump is activated....

You can't borrow someone elses plate 'cos the number plates/make-model have to match

and in one fell swoop you have paid your road tax and if you haven't paid any insurance you can't drive 'cos you can't get any petrol!

so no more driving without insurance or road tax!

it would be a simple matter to check valid mot's at the same time - it's done with anpr cameras so why not in petrol stations too

or is that too simple a solution for governments to implement?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links