Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Rear Brake Pad Change

Locust74

I recently purchased a 2010 Avensis 2.0D which now has 21k on it. At the service today Toyata advised that the rear brake pads are coming to the end of useful life which is a bit of a suprise as I am used to 50K plus from rear pads.

They offered to change them for me for £160.

I declined as I can fit them myself (pads from Toyota were £50-£60).

When I picked the car up, I was told that I couldnt change the pads as the computer needs to be reset after changing them (mine has the electronic handbreak).

Is this true? I cant find any other info on the net on this.

Advice please

I think that they maybe trying it on ...

You might want to ask them why they are going to charge you £160 when Toyota UK's Fixed Price Promise says £100 for rear brake pads on an Avensis?

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&nodiv=true&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3cnone%3e&edname=as_Landing&zone=Zone+Ownership&id=AfterSalesLanding

Thanks Heidfirst for this. I will talk to the garage tomorrow

I would still like to know from anyone else what this bit is about the computer resetting piece if anyone knows.

Thanks

I'd be interested to now the outcome of this. My car has done the same miles and I'm guessing I'm going to get spun the same line when my car goes in for a service next week.

Do any of you guys know if there are any easy ways we can check the pads (dash warning lights etc) and not just take the dealerships word for it that they are worn out. How much "meat" should be left on them before they are changed?

Call my cynical, but I'm loathed to pay all that money out if there's plenty of life left in the existing pads.

I'd be interested to now the outcome of this. My car has done the same miles and I'm guessing I'm going to get spun the same line when my car goes in for a service next week.

Do any of you guys know if there are any easy ways we can check the pads (dash warning lights etc) and not just take the dealerships word for it that they are worn out. How much "meat" should be left on them before they are changed?

Call my cynical, but I'm loathed to pay all that money out if there's plenty of life left in the existing pads.

The pads on the rear are 10mm when new and must be changed when they reach 2mm of pad material, the disc rotor is 10mm thick new and is only allowed 1mm of wear at 9mm thickness.

The front disc rotors are 26mm new and are are allowed 2mm wear down to 24mm, the front pads are12.5mm new and are allowed 10.5mm wear down to 2mm thickness of pad material.

The above refers to the 2003-2008 Avensis but this is very typical of most cars ...... but be aware that the dealers mechanic is looking at whether the pads will last until the next service and he will not know how aggressive the driver is on the brake pedal so he wiil go on the side of caution to avoid problems or accidents, not defending the dealer here but it is something to be aware of.

Hope this helps ... Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the feedback

Any idea on the piece about the computer needing to be reset. I can change the pads myself but obviously dont have the diagnostic equipment to reset whatever they are talking about or have I just been spun a line?

P.s. another dealer offered the £100 charge straight off for the pads change and thought that the wear possibly seemed premature so its going in for another check next week. It could be a binding problem so covered under warranty???

I have a 2009 2 litre D4D Tourer.

My annual mileage is 40k, I was surprised when told at the 30k service that ny rear pads needed replacing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links