Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Rattle

Big Kev

Hi All and One,

Have just done a search on the above titled title, but somewhat inconclusive. The rattle from directly on line with the speedo "bump" on the dashboard definitely seems to be coming from very base of windscreen. It started months ago as a slight annoyance, but has become really annoying and louder now on our Nagasaki road surfaces.

Anybody got any suggestments as to how to cure....? Toyota service Bulletin thingy....?

Big Kev :crybaby:

Hi All and One,

Have just done a search on the above titled title, but somewhat inconclusive. The rattle from directly on line with the speedo "bump" on the dashboard definitely seems to be coming from very base of windscreen. It started months ago as a slight annoyance, but has become really annoying and louder now on our Nagasaki road surfaces.

Anybody got any suggestments as to how to cure....? Toyota service Bulletin thingy....?

To find out exactly where the noise is coming from is the main thing and I would start by taping the most suspected parts with making tape to isolate the noise then You can decide the game plan for the remedy ?? Problem with these !Removed! annoying rattles is that they often come from somewhere else... Good luck Big Fella............

Charlie.

?? Problem with these !Removed! annoying rattles is that they often come from somewhere else...

Charlie.

Spot on Charlie, they ALWAYS come from where you don't think they are...

I suppose a Suitably Scottish Solution would be to get one of those big tins of expanding foam from B&Q and spray it into Every Orifice, should fix it I suppose :thumbsup:

Failing that I've just obtained 50 litres of decent Rioja (@ €0.80/ltr) help y'self to a bit of that and you won't be bothered about rattles.

Thinking horizontally..

Lee

Have you checked if yer dashboard is loose; or things rolling about yer ashtray; or a bottle of buckie lodged behind the glovebox?

If its the windscreen then any movement would have resulted in a break in the water seal...I've found the bodywork flexes and the windscreen on the 4.1s start to become detached from the body.

Possibly a referred noise where it is happening at one point and then the vibration is travelling along the metalwork. Theres a round bar in behind the dashboard which if loose (and it defo shouldn't be) would cause noise along the length of the bar...its attached at each end and a bracket or two in the middle - I'll know for sure when I remove the rest of number 1s dashboard this week.

Possible plastic vent duct come loose from its fixing below dash?? Maybe you would have noticed a force 8 gale around yer ankles?

I have a rattle inside my drivers sun visor, but it sounds like its coming from the dashboard.

Hi All and One,

Which 'Funnerbird' are we talking about here Kev?

Hi All and One,

Which 'Funnerbird' are we talking about here Kev?

Funnerburd Wan, David...the diesel one which has not YET been reversed into the neighbour's car, the SRWANATEY, the wan whom which I drive. All previous answers do nothing to alay my fears...I am well aware that the noise more than likely originates miles from where I think I am hearing it.

Confound it, as they say in Glasgow.

Big Kev :angry:

Hi All and One,

Kev, others are having the same problem. You might find some ideas here:

Dash/windshield clicking

Windshield noise

Noise from pillar

Kev

Are you sure its not the rim on the top of your glasses?

Try the loose mirror test and try changing the air direction on your heater.

Check your gear stick. i had a rattle that was definately comming from the dash until I noticed that as I changed gear it stopped.

i did have an annoying squeeck as well after the windscreen was changed 3 times in three months, damn stones. it eventually stopped as the sealant finished curing but seemed to take a very long time. I did get Auto glass back to check it but they couldn't find a problem. All ok now though apart from the rattling gearstick which I can't be ubikd with at the moment.

I have a rattle inside my drivers sun visor, but it sounds like its coming from the dashboard.

I refuse to believe it's this simple, but I had a longish journey today, and prompted by pgp reply, I moved the sun visor into different positions....not a trace of the bloomin' rattle...!!! Indeed, by putting it in the fully up position and gently tapping it at the removeable side, I can easily emulate the noise.(Bothy...that means "copy"....)

Thanks to all for your replyments, especially to pgp for reminding me what Sir Jock Stein said..."keep it simple", and to Junebug for multiple option posting. I keep forgetting to tune in to our cuzzings' site across That Pond Thing.

I found it mildly distasteful that certain members insinuated that the rattle may be the parts that Anchorman dropped down my heating vent whilst doing my phone and i-pod kits....everybody should be allowed 15/16 errors y'know.....he is trying to help.

Don't do many decent jaunts these days....that Rav's a nice car btw....

Big Kev :yahoo:

I refuse to believe it's this simple, but I had a longish journey today, and prompted by pgp reply, I moved the sun visor into different positions....not a trace of the bloomin' rattle...!!! Indeed, by putting it in the fully up position and gently tapping it at the removeable side, I can easily emulate the noise.(Bothy...that means "copy"....)

Thanks to all for your replyments, especially to pgp for reminding me what Sir Jock Stein said..."keep it simple", and to Junebug for multiple option posting. I keep forgetting to tune in to our cuzzings' site across That Pond Thing.

I found it mildly distasteful that certain members insinuated that the rattle may be the parts that Anchorman dropped down my heating vent whilst doing my phone and i-pod kits....everybody should be allowed 15/16 errors y'know.....he is trying to help.

Don't do many decent jaunts these days....that Rav's a nice car btw....

Glad you got it sorted BK 'cos if you hadn't I was going to suggest you tried THIS thinking the rattle may have been coming from the upper set.................

I also have a rattle, but emulates from the sunroof when open....

I also have a rattle, but emulates from the sunroof when open....

Does it stop if you put your hand on the sliding 'blind' part?

I forgot to mention I have another annoying rattle which sounds to be coming from the rear seat area.

Turns out is is in the headlining, I think it is the courtesy light cables rattling, if I slide the inner sun roof cover all the way back it must touch the offending cables and the rattle stops, so I leave it open all the time.

Phil

Shock - is this another problem emanating (for BK that means coming from rather than to) from the design instabilities of the 5 door RAV having to carry excessive hinges ?? BK has helped to confirm my fears - having found his sunvisor hinge is a problem....and I bet you don't have Hinge Insurance either :lol: :lol:

I forgot to mention I have another annoying rattle which sounds to be coming from the rear seat area.

Turns out is is in the headlining, I think it is the courtesy light cables rattling, if I slide the inner sun roof cover all the way back it must touch the offending cables and the rattle stops, so I leave it open all the time.

Phil

Its probably that seat belt anchor. It wants rolling up and pressing firmly into its holder in the roof.

I thought that too, but it's not that, if you apply upwards pressure to the headlining just behind the drivers head position it stops, playing around with the rear seatbelt has no effect at all.

So it must be local to that area, and the inner slide being opened certainly stops it as well.

All I can think might be there is a wiring loom, but I am not going to remove the headlining just for that, according to the blurb its a big strip down to get it out.

Phil

Shock - is this another problem emanating (for BK that means coming from rather than to) from the design instabilities of the 5 door RAV having to carry excessive hinges ?? BK has helped to confirm my fears - having found his sunvisor hinge is a problem....and I bet you don't have Hinge Insurance either :lol: :lol:

As they say in fencing, Bothy..."touche..." Or as they say in Lanarkshire fencing..."do ye waant tae buy a 42" Samsung?"

As they say in fencing, Bothy..."touche..." Or as they say in Lanarkshire fencing..."do ye waant tae buy a 42" Samsung?"

Both Big Kev and Bothy giving lessons on English - we're all doomed :P

Hey BK, could be your fillings rattling around your skull from the M8 potholes?

I was in Dundee yesterday (got to go on the big Rowan Viking drilling rig in the docks there - there's a big beastie) and there are still some shocking alloy wheel breakers on the road up.

Does that mean it's safer south of Adrian's wall?

Both Big Kev and Bothy giving lessons on English - we're all doomed :P

Hey BK, could be your fillings rattling around your skull from the M8 potholes?

I was in Dundee yesterday (got to go on the big Rowan Viking drilling rig in the docks there - there's a big beastie) and there are still some shocking alloy wheel breakers on the road up.

I defy anybody living or regularly driving through and around the East side of Glasgow to not suffer from road rage and/or drive like a drunk to avoid the alloy breaking holes. The local authorities can put Germoloids ointment on yer actual 2014 Commonwealth Games....fix the roads. Or why don't we just withold road tax...? Silly idea...then we would have to bring the troops home from whatever/wherever.

Wolfie Smiff....Two Things Popular Affront.

I found that the rattle that I thought was coming from the bottom of the screen/dash was acutally coming from behind the centre console thing on the roof which houses the sunglasses holder and interior light etc. Pop the glasses holder off and the lens off the light and there are a couple of screws. Undo them and the whole thing drops down to give access. Bit of strategically placed packing in there sorted mine out. Worth a go if other ideas don't cure it.

I found that the rattle that I thought was coming from the bottom of the screen/dash was acutally coming from behind the centre console thing on the roof which houses the sunglasses holder and interior light etc. Pop the glasses holder off and the lens off the light and there are a couple of screws. Undo them and the whole thing drops down to give access. Bit of strategically placed packing in there sorted mine out. Worth a go if other ideas don't cure it.

Cheers Pogle,

My central light console is slightly different from yours, but having removed it previously to fit an auto dipping mirror, it did squeak a bit back then. Fixed with some foam draught excluder stuff. Was out and about today...sun visor may have been the culprit right enough....no rattle.

previously to fit an auto dipping mirror, it did squeak a bit back then. Fixed with some foam draught excluder stuff.

Was gonna suggest that Kev before you found it. The cable to the factory fitted rain sensor and mirror on some models has a plastic cover over it and the cable can "tick" nicely :angry: against the cover. It did on my first 4.3