Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Lights Again!

sywy

Just come back from town after the weekly shop, and the check engine/4x4/vsc warning lights have come on again!! However, this time the car has not gone into limp home mode. It seems to be revving normally. As it's Saturday afternoon, can't ring Mr T until Monday. Is this still an egr problem, like i had last time (a couple of yeras ago)? I'm not very technical minded when it comes to cars, so a bit reluctant to meddle with things in the engine bay. Is my car safe to drive? I will need to get to work on Monday, before I can ring Mr. T.

It will go into limp mode if it is severe enough to cause damage. Keep in mind that if you do take it in with the light on (so leave it on) they are very likely to rebuild the engine with upgraded parts as your motor is already registered with an "unsuccessful" EGR mod :thumbsup:

Can't be sure without a test drive but if you prefer, it is very easy to clean it out as shown in the pinned section.

Personally, I would err towards the free rebuild.

Thanks for the reply Anchs.

What is this free rebuild? I must admit I don't read these forums as often as I used to, so may have missed this news? Is there any info you can point me to, so that I am armed with the correct info when I do go in.

Thanks for the reply Anchs.

What is this free rebuild? I must admit I don't read these forums as often as I used to, so may have missed this news? Is there any info you can point me to, so that I am armed with the correct info when I do go in.

Toyota are now re-building engines proven to be using excessive amounts of oil. Clogged EGRs being one sign. They have extended the engine warranty to 7? years and 112K miles.

Best to let your dealer have a look at what's going on. Several members have now had re-builds. :thumbsup:

Would you believe it! I'm at Mr. T at the moment and the lights are no longer on! Have driven the car twice, and had the ignition on 4 times since it happened, and the lights have come on each time. Drove the car to work, lights were on. Started the car to go to Mr. T and the lights didn't come on! Took it anyway, and had the codes read. They reckon it was not egr, but just soot build up in the engine? I did see 'particulate filter' on his sheet of paper. Told me I just needed to give the car a good blast. I made sure it was going onto my record, in case it happens again. Will keep an eye on it.

Ah the dreaded DPF, the scurge of the diesel engine.In all my time on TOC forums this doesn,t seem to be a problem with Toyota diesel engines (might be wrong). If you go on to any other car forums especially Nissan and Renault this seems to be common place with them. Seems short journeys activate the problem,give it a good long blast up the Motorway that should clear it. (or so I read on other forums)

Regards Clare

Yeah, the owners manual of a new(ish) Astra I drove recently, stated that if the "cleaning cycle" warning light for the DPF came on, then not stopping driving was mandatory until it went out. How convenient!

Sorry I was late for work Boss, I had to keep driving!

Sorry Officer, I couldn't stop, due to the light on my dashboard! :D.

Would you believe it! I'm at Mr. T at the moment and the lights are no longer on! Have driven the car twice, and had the ignition on 4 times since it happened, and the lights have come on each time. Drove the car to work, lights were on. Started the car to go to Mr. T and the lights didn't come on! Took it anyway, and had the codes read. They reckon it was not egr, but just soot build up in the engine? I did see 'particulate filter' on his sheet of paper. Told me I just needed to give the car a good blast. I made sure it was going onto my record, in case it happens again. Will keep an eye on it.

Sorry Simon but sounds like your being fobbed off mate, Did they even look at your EGR ? takes 10mins to see how clogged it is.. and that sooted up engine is being caused by burning oil, no panic you have 7yrs 110,000mls but me thinks you want + deserve to get it sorted..Good luck :yes: Stew

They plugged in their diagnostics tool and read the codes. Didn't see any real real reports, but he said their we 2 codes logged. He had written down on a piece of paper TPMS (which I know about) and particulate filter. As you say, I have y 7 years, but I willkeep my eye on it, and will insist on getting something done if it happens again. The other thing that backs this up is that my driving style has changed since I got the car. I used to commute 30+ miles to work, before being made redundant about 2 years ago :( I'm now doing about 3 miles to where I currently work. So lots of short journeys. I know I'm really not using it properly, and am half thinking about downgrading to a small runabout, especially as my wife runs a VW Touran, and we mostly use that when we go on any long journeys. Thanks for your concern anyway :)

if you are only doing 3 miles each way thenthe engine will get clogged but that takes quite a while to happen. The light going out usually means it is an intermittent fault and after 3 completed engine on , drive , engine off cylces the light resets itself which is why when you went to the dealership it wasn't on. If i drive my petrol rav4 really hard for a long distance the engine light comes on but I have a cheap code reader I bought on eBay for about £20 and I reset the system with it and see if the light comes back onthe next time I start it. If it does its a genuine fault if it doesn't the warning system is being over sensitive

if you are only doing 3 miles each way thenthe engine will get clogged but that takes quite a while to happen. The light going out usually means it is an intermittent fault and after 3 completed engine on , drive , engine off cylces the light resets itself which is why when you went to the dealership it wasn't on. If i drive my petrol rav4 really hard for a long distance the engine light comes on but I have a cheap code reader I bought on ebay for about £20 and I reset the system with it and see if the light comes back onthe next time I start it. If it does its a genuine fault if it doesn't the warning system is being over sensitive

Just out of curiosity, what fault codes have you actually been getting when driving the 2004 Petrol RAV hard for a long distance.

Phil

Lights are on again!! This time have booked the car in for a closer look. Can't get in until 4th July though, as I need a courtesy car. Will keep you all posted on what they say/do.

Maybe this time they'll do what they should have done in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have just got my car back after 3 days of 'diagnostics'. Apparently, it is one of the affected engines. The dealer said that the will be replacing the whole engine, rather than stripping it down and replacing bits. The problem now is getting a new (reconditioned?) engine from Japan. They have no idea how long it will take!!

Can one of you technical gurus give me some advice please? My car has just ticked over 49k miles. It's due a service at 50k miles. I got a full Mr. T service history so far. Is it worth me getting the car serviced, after the new engine is fitted, baring in mind it will be a new engine?

Its up to you Simes.

It is near enough but don't forget that it should be an oil service and inspection. Your new engine will come with new oil and filter so you need to negotiate a very low price to make up the balance. Ask them to do the remainder of the inspection for £40 and see what they say.

Good idea Anchs. Will ask them when my new engine arrives. Hopefully get my book stamped too.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my new engine is here? I'm guessing it's here, as I've just had a call from Mr. T asking if they can book my car in. It's booked in on the 4th Aug, for a week, as I'm away back end of next week, which is when they wanted it, and they couldn't get it in any earlier. Did ask about a reduced service cost, but all they said was we'll see what we can do when I take my car in!? If you're looking in Kingo, how much would you charge for a 50k service while undergoing a engine replacement?

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Have just got my car back after 1 whole week at the dealers. I asked for a reduced 50k service to be done on it, which they have done, but they want to charge me £84 for it!! Does this sound reasonable, considering I had a engine (inc fluids etc?) replacement done under warranty? I am disputing it, and because the service manager had gone home, they will come back to me tomorrow. Unfortunately, they didn't give me the bill to take home, but I know there was a £50 labour charge for half hour's labour for the service. There was also a charge for disposal of oil, which I am most definitely not paying, as that should be charged to Toyota under the engine replacement. There was a fluids top-up?, and an oil filter. Should my oil filter have been replaced along with the engine? Can't remember the rest, as it was buried in a long list along with the parts for the new engine. Does £84 sound reasonable then? Or should it be closer to the £40 Anchorman suggested above?

EDIT: Forgot to ask the dealer, but how much is a 50k service anyway? under normal circumstances?

Anyway, your car can work well? Someone famous said, there is no free lunch. So go on your life, let them go. :rolleyes:

Simes

As far as I know your car should have had an interim service so basically just oil and filter. Had you not asked for the service they should have been done with the engine. Speak to the service manager tomorrow and if that is all they have done, ask him for a break down. He might just give you your money back. How is the car anyway?

Chris

I simply haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links