Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suspected Wheel Bearing Or Hub? Issue.. Diagnosis Required..

celicascot

Our (95)ST202 Celica has a bearing whine from the front right of the car along with a vibration especially under braking, the car also pulls slightly to the left, the tracking was checked recently and adjusted. We concluded that it must be either the drivers side wheel bearing or driveshaft support bearing.

I used a stethoscope to listen to both wheelbearings and the D/S Support bearing but could not tell much difference from the sound recordings.. if anything its the passenger side wheel bearing sounds slightly noisier!.. but we know thats ok.

As you can see from the video @ aprox 30 secs the whole wheel looks like its slightly buckled or wobbling however @ 1 min you can just see some movement on the driveshaft hub side, it doesn't come across as well in the video as it does in real life so you will have to take my word for it.. we have also swapped wheels around to be sure its not the wheel but the problem still persists.

The car has had a new wheel bearing on this side 2 years ago so we suspect that while the bearing may not be making any noise the hub itself may be the root of the problem.. or could it be something as simple as a loose driveshaft end nut? Any confirmations on the wheelbearing diagnosis or alternatives theories welcome..

See

and watch from 30 secs then again at 1 min.

if the vibration is through the steering wheel, i'd suspect a sticking brake caliper has warped the brake disc.

Personally i would just change the driveshaft and the hub. Both are about £50 each from a breakers.

Its not one of those jobs where you wanna take everything apart, change one of those two things, put it back together and find it was the other one.

It could be both the shaft and the hub anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links