Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 D4D Smoke

ESSandARR

Hi all,

I thought I would pop in and ask the forum if anybody has any ideas what could be wrong with my 2004 Avensis 2.0 D4D.

Two months or so ago I was cruizing along at 60mph, I looked in my mirror and there ware plumes of white smoke billowing from the exhaust (as if the car was on fire) so I pulled over and turned the car off, checked my oil and water... all fine.

Started the car up again and the smoke continued to plume out of the exhaust while ticking over so turned the car off and called a local mechanic who said it should be fine to drive in to the garage (less then 2mile) so after the phone call i started it up and drove 2 mile and the car was fine, no smoke, no loss of power, just as normal. Anyway the mechanic had a look and sail it could have been water in diesel, dirty fuel and something sticking in the engine (cant remember exactly what he said)but to keep an eye on the oil and fluid levels.

The car has run fine for the 2 months but every now and again a stream of light smoke trails from the exhaust when driving along and it is gradually getting worse. I have noticed a very slight drop in power when it is about to do this...but the wife doesnt feel it.

I have cleaned the EGR valve and also used injector cleaner and most recently had to change the glowplugs due to only 1 working.

1 other issue when under acceleration is the amount of black smoke that is emmited from the exhaust.

I am sorry to have gone on a little bit, but if anybody has any ideas that i could try before Mr.T gets hold of it I would be greatful.

Many thanks.

Hi all,

I thought I would pop in and ask the forum if anybody has any ideas what could be wrong with my 2004 Avensis 2.0 D4D.

Two months or so ago I was cruizing along at 60mph, I looked in my mirror and there ware plumes of white smoke billowing from the exhaust (as if the car was on fire) so I pulled over and turned the car off, checked my oil and water... all fine.

Started the car up again and the smoke continued to plume out of the exhaust while ticking over so turned the car off and called a local mechanic who said it should be fine to drive in to the garage (less then 2mile) so after the phone call i started it up and drove 2 mile and the car was fine, no smoke, no loss of power, just as normal. Anyway the mechanic had a look and sail it could have been water in diesel, dirty fuel and something sticking in the engine (cant remember exactly what he said)but to keep an eye on the oil and fluid levels.

The car has run fine for the 2 months but every now and again a stream of light smoke trails from the exhaust when driving along and it is gradually getting worse. I have noticed a very slight drop in power when it is about to do this...but the wife doesnt feel it.

I have cleaned the EGR valve and also used injector cleaner and most recently had to change the glowplugs due to only 1 working.

1 other issue when under acceleration is the amount of black smoke that is emmited from the exhaust.

I am sorry to have gone on a little bit, but if anybody has any ideas that i could try before Mr.T gets hold of it I would be greatful.

Many thanks.

Hi mate, if you haven't already done so change the fuel filter. Some black smoke is normal on a diesel under load but as I have said in other replies a good hard drive under load at 3500- 4500 rpm for a few minutes does help clear the crap out. The white smoke can mean water in the fuel, some of it will be caught in the fuel filter but some will get through.

Pete.