img005.jpg

img006.jpg

img007.jpg

img008.jpg

Just a little teaser!

What's MultiDrive S?

A newer MMT? What's the difference?

A proper Auto CVT with manual shift option via Steering wheel padles

I think it's the box in the iQ. Probably some type of CVT. No doubt someone on here with have a definitive answer! I wonder how much it will be. More than the outgoing model I should think. Regards.

Quick question. If a CVT box does not have gears in the conventional sense how can it have any kind of gear change? Paddles etc. Or are they "fake" gear changes so that there is some kind of "feel" to driving a car so equipped? Regards.

You have got it in one, system is the same as that used in the new Verso-s.

I think it's the box in the iQ. Probably some type of CVT. No doubt someone on here with have a definitive answer! I wonder how much it will be. More than the outgoing model I should think. Regards.

It is the same CVT box that I have in my New Verso S

In fact the new Yaris will share the same floorpan and mechanicals as well as the 1.33 litre engine and CVT gearbox as used on the New Verso S that was introduced in the UK March 2011

The gearbox has 7 selectable ratios when operated in the "paddle shift" or gear lever mode and is almost seamless when in full Auto mode

Like the Verso S, the Yaris model with the Multidrive S (CVT) gearbox has slightly better fuel economy returning 54+ MPG

So, is that some kind of fancy electronic system and if so why?

Sooo... is this the CVT system with the reliability problems under load or an updated one...?

I'd still much rather have an eCVT. Speaking of which, when's the HSD Yaris making an appearance?

Glad that the diesel engine hasn't been killed off like we were expecting tho' :)

Still no sun-roof or digital dash :(, but I'm curious what that centre screen does; Seem to be an MFD of some sort?

It looks significantly larger than my Yaris... :(

I'm starting to warm to the new look to it but feel at the same time that it is losing the cuteness of the previous two Yarises; the car is growing up just as a person does. Really like the Touch & Go multimedia system but with it taking up a small space, it leaves the rest of the dashboard looking a little . . . bare. Don't like the 'old style' instrument binnacle much, rather prefer the centre-mounted digital dash of the previous cars though the amber-backlit dash of the outgoing versions wasn't bad.

Also I've noticed the combined fuel economy figures for the 1.33 engine are WORSE than the current cars' yet the 1 litre & the D-4D have been improved. Has the 1.33 lost its standard stop/start system? If so, why?

Questions, Questions, Questions. We'll all just have to wait and see. It does look very nice though. A bit like some other new models out now. Jazz, possibly? I won't be getting one for a while as I've just bought the current model. Got a good deal on it as well I think, see my post from the 20th,as long as it's as reliable as the other 2 Toyotas I've had. Regards.

At last someone at Toyota has found a bit of sense and maybe they've seen/listened to all the negative opinions of the MMT? Could this be the end of Toyota's venture into MMT and it is now gradually destined for the scrapheap of failure? I wonder how many potential return customers, like myself, they've lost because of this "experiment"?

I'm driving a Honda Jazz at the moment CVT(7) with manual facility and if Toyota's version is the same then it's an excellent transmission.

This does seem like Toyota, along with some others, will go over to CVT. I can imagine the CVT 'box being more expensive to make. I've looked at many videos and forums on them and they do seem like quite clever engineering. I'm on my second Yaris with MMT and no problems yet. Gear change is smooth under normal driving. Not really a system for boy-racers though. Except maybe with paddle shifters! Now those do I like. My wife tells me off if I use them too much. She likes the auto bit. Have there been any problems with Toyotas fitted with CVT?

I remember CVT from many years ago and they were not good at all. Daf Dafodil anyone? Regards.

Just a comment on the post about MMT being destined for the scrapheap of failure. Toyota aren't the only ones to have used them. Honda, I think Mitsubishi and Mazda as well.Let me know I imagine it's taken a while to get CVT 'boxes up to standard. I wonder with so many cars using them will we see problems emerging? Still quite a few makers not using them and fitting 'boxes that increase CO2 and MPG. Regards.

If it's a friction driven CVT I'm not going anywhere near it!

If it's a friction driven CVT I'm not going anywhere near it!

With a 5 year warranty, why not?

Kia have a 7 year warranty but I still wouldn't get one :lol:

Long warranty's are nice but the reliability is more important... The long warranty is of small comfort if the car is in the garage all the time!

CVTs are super smooth but they have a bad reputation for long-term reliability, esp. in high torque situations (Accelerating, towing, going up hills, carrying large loads...) and I personally don't think they have proven themselves yet...

The eCVT in the HSD is miles better - All the benefits and none of the downsides!

If I was going to get an automatic Yaris Mk3, I'd deffo pick the HSD version over a CVT any day of the week!

CVTs work OK # if the oil is changed regularly (See Jazz every 24k miles)

But I would not buy one either...

# edit: but not Ford ones: disastrous...

Friction driven? Does that mean no belt? I read that Nissan use a system like that I think. Can anyone give answer on that? Regards.

Quick question. What´s an eCVT compared to CVT? Regards.

All the normal CVTs I know of use a friction belt (At least they use steel belts and not rubber ones now!) on variable pulleys or rollers.

The eCVT is what Toyota call the gearing system in their HSD; It's not a 'real' CVT, but uses variable inputs and a planetary gear to achieve its CVTness.

Unlike friction-based CVTs, it can't slip as it uses actual toothed gears and is way more reliable.

Thanks for that.

I would've been interested if they got the old 1.3 engine back but the 1.33 is !Removed! compared to it...I'll wait until they listen to me.

And a Ford is better than any Toyota? Think not!!!!!! Regards.

I would've been interested if they got the old 1.3 engine back but the 1.33 is !Removed! compared to it...I'll wait until they listen to me.

Really? What's wrong with the 1.33?

I thought it was just the gearing... :unsure: