Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Egr Valve Clean

plasticman007

Hello everyone,

I had the 56 plate 4.3 T180 now for several weeks and have been reading up information about them on the forum.

I also looked through the paperwork that came with the car and noticed that the AA were called out by the previous owner. This turned out to be an EGR valve issue and this was cleaned and replaced according to the details given and all was OK. This was when the car had done 20k.

Reading a lot about cleaning Egr valves every 10 to 12k and as the car has now done 32k I thought I would give it a check out. Sure enough it was clogged up with the black deposit. I have now cleaned it all and it looks as good as new.

Just a couple of question, is this a sign that there could be a problem and the engine needs to be looked at. Should I let Toyota know about this so it is on record. I know Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years or 112k so want to make sure everything is OK and due to the Rav being a 56 plate I only have 2 years left to resolve any problems.

Also I have noticed one or two owners have had problems with the 4.3 DMF having had the problem with my 4.2 I don,t really want this to happen again. With my current Rav having only covered 32k do Toyota give any warranty on the DMF.

The Rav has full Toyota service history and has just had it 5 year equivalent to the 40k service.

As always many thanks in advance for any advise

Cheers

Nothing to worry about with the EGR. Had mine changed under warranty as well. It is common amongst other diesels not just the Rav 4.I keep it clean and only use BP Ultimate or Shell V Power, that makes a big difference. As you have just cleaned it and by the sounds of it not been done for a while you could use an additive to clean out the lines etc. I used Rectech and it also made a difference, giving me an extra 4-6 miles to the gallon !! Link here..... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123102&st=0&p=1102073&hl=additive&fromsearch=1entry1102073

AS for the DMF dont think you have any worries, few and far between failures.

My 2006 T180 has been in my local dealer since Mon and I'm picking it up tonight... :yahoo:

I took it in complaining about the poor fuel economy... They inspected the egr valve and said that the engine needed some items replacing...

Anyway it turns out that they have replaced the pistons, injectors, egr valve and cat all under warranty...

I'd definately recommend taking to your dealer before cleaning the valve yourself....

atb Tom

My 2006 T180 has been in my local dealer since Mon and I'm picking it up tonight... :yahoo:

I took it in complaining about the poor fuel economy... They inspected the egr valve and said that the engine needed some items replacing...

Anyway it turns out that they have replaced the pistons, injectors, egr valve and cat all under warranty...

I'd definately recommend taking to your dealer before cleaning the valve yourself....

atb Tom

when you say poor economy what are you getting? Before I cleaned the EGR Iwas getting 24 mpg!! Now I get 30-32 mpg.

atb Tom

when you say poor economy what are you getting? Before I cleaned the EGR Iwas getting 24 mpg!! Now I get 30-32 mpg.

I was getting at best on a motorway run approx 29 - 30mpg with my normal weekly commute coming down to 27-28mpg. At best since Feb I had only managed to get 320miles to a tank (well the range showed zero and the needle was on empty), although when I filled up I could only squeeze 48litres in! Whenever the car has been filled up the max range it ever shows is approx 320miles!

I picked up the car last night from the dealer - all the work had been completed. Got in and turned on the ignition, straight away the range showed 380miles and it wasnt even a full tank, looking good so far!!! Drove to work this morning and the mpg computed at 35.4 for the 22mile trip.... Will brim it tonight and see what mileage I can get out of a tank....

Thats good for sure!!. It depends what you have on the Rav. I just did a 450 mile round trip without the mountain bikes for the first time in a while. I averaged 36.6 mpg for the first 350 then floored it for the reat averaging 32.6. So off later to fill her up to see what the real mpg is. Need to try and convince myself to keep her with the constant rising fuel costs. I may take the roof bars off and see what difference that makes.

• 1 month later...

I have a Verso 2.2 D4D 140 on a 57 plate, which is basicly same the engine, (fitted in Lexus IS, RAV4, Avensis, Corolla). I also took it in complaining of poor fuel economy. After being fobbed off the first time they have now said they are going to replace the injectors, EGR and a short engine. Apparently there is an issue with this engine consuming too much oil (mine has generally got through 1.5L per 10,000miles since new (now done 50,000), which then causes the EGR to coke up.

The new short engine is remanufactured from other blocks returned under this warranty replacement scheme, with new Pistons, Rings, Liners etc to cure the oil consumption issue to permenantly solve this issue.

I would suggest all owvers of 2AD-FTV & 2AD-FHV (2.2L D4D) engines of similar age to take them to their Toyota dealer and request they have this work done too.

BTW: Generally I was getting 52mpg (doing quite a bit of long didtance motorway driving at 80mph), the fuel economy issues seemed to start suddently at 44,000 miles consistently returning 42mpg for similar journeys to before.

On my trip to Scotland last week, my T180 averaged 43mpg. i reset this on the way home and it was 45. Normal day to day driving around the doors im getting about 36. When i fill the tank to the brim the readout says 401 miles. Mine is the original engine with piston rings, head gasket replaced under warranty. 70k miles now. EGR was staying clean when i was doing a 30 mile trip to work. Now I am only doing 10 miles a day the EGR is sooting up pretty quick but my mpg is still good

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links