Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7 Year Extended Warranty Question

catseye27

Anchs - You're possibly right of course!

I've seen (or have in past) new powertrain development deliberately decoupled from vehicle programmes. Although usually with a specific new vehicle platform targeted, with a possible fall-back plan to an older engine, if the devel of the new one goes t*ts up. That's probably skewing my expectation of how they've developed the thing.

I'm not sure what would have been an alternative eng for the 4.3. Don't think the old 4.2 2l would have been quite up to it.

Yeah, but still the pressure to deliver the unit on time for the target platform is huge and only a supreme being can delay a vehicle programme.......

"Thank you for you well balanced concerns Mr engineering erk, but I'm actually going to take no notice of you (mainly because I can't grasp the gravity of what you are on about) and carry on regardless. My teflon overcoat will protect me............Challenger go with throttle up."

I hereby claim my honorary membership to the cynical grumpy old *******s club. :D. Proud to be an "erk" (with or without "watter on the brain"). :thumbsup:

Bin it Keep it Or blag a rebuild ..... To be honest I would not want to do this as is just daft if its not needed ..

Would it be fair to suppose that if My July 2006 car with 44K miles would be burning oil if there were a problem and if it isn't then there isn't Or could it just start burning oil at any time ?? The car has never been thrashed and has a full and comprehensive Toyota service history and I do not want to part with it any time soon.. Its just such a useful and versatile vehicle ...... Thanks

Charlie.

Sent my email off to Mr T today basically asking if my vehicle was potentially in the batch of possible excessive oil consumption issues. I agree with Charlie, why touch it if not needed. In all reality i don't intend to put pressure on Mr T to re-build my engine. She seems fine at the mo, but would be nice to have re-assurance from my dealer that should the engine develope the symptoms then they will do whatever is necessary.

Went in cold when looking to buy my vehicle, knew very little about the RAV4. Just wanted a vehicle which you sat high in, dog friendly, not to big, would tow a caravan and good looking. The short list was latest CRV and the Rav4. Rav4 won easily. Just out of interest, is the 150hp unit free from the oil consumption issues and when were these units shipped into the RAV4?

Cheers

Norman

2009. The ones with chrome around the foglights. They are different again to the earlier models - superb.

Yeh, that looks like the one. Found a 2009 brochure and seems the SR uses the D-Cat 150hp unit and the XT-R a D-4D 150hp unit that year. The XT-R unit has better fuel consumption.

So is this 150hp engine free of known problems such as excessive oil consumption?

You have to go post 2009 for the newer engine (the RAV with chrome around the foglights) although that XT-R with manual box is not a D-CAT engine.

2009. The ones with chrome around the foglights. They are different again to the earlier models - superb.

YES

Hi

Thought i would update you on my dilemma. My dealer has been very accommodating. Cannot get my money back under the 30 day no quibble warranty scheme but could change for another Toyota. The RAV4 is the car we wanted and still do. The dealer has re-assured us that there would be no issue with an engine re-build if this was required so have decided to keep the current vehicle. Will be checking and keeping a record of oil consumption for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to my thread.

Norman

Hi

Thought i would update you on my dilemma. My dealer has been very accommodating. Cannot get my money back under the 30 day no quibble warranty scheme but could change for another Toyota. The RAV4 is the car we wanted and still do. The dealer has re-assured us that there would be no issue with an engine re-build if this was required so have decided to keep the current vehicle. Will be checking and keeping a record of oil consumption for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to my thread.

Norman

Norman . How can that be called a no quibble guarantee then ?? Mate I don't suppose for one minute that You or I will have a problem.. If We believed every horror story about any of the cars We choose to buy We would be back on Horse back... You are right the Rav is a cracking car and if serviced well and is not currently burning oil and My one is not should go on for ever .. Well a blooming good few Years anyway .... Good luck with it anyway Mate I sincerely wish You the very best with the car ......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Charlie. Did not expect my money back, terms of 30 day no quibble contract basically states an exchange car of equal of greater value. As you have said, every car has a horror story. You just hope your vehicle is not one of them. It was just reassurring to have the Toyota manager confirm that there would not be an issue with a re-build should my car end up with excessive oil consumption.

I note from another thread that you were considering the CRV. It is all a matter of opinion but my wife and i took both the RAV4 and CRV(57 plate) on a test ride over the same route, same day. We both immediately fell for the RAV4. Althugh the engine noise on the RAV4 was greater, road noise on the CRV was very intrusive. The salesman blamed the excessive noise on the road surface! If you do a research it will be noted that this is a common complaint.

Good luck with whatever motor choose.