Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedo Query

t-spiritpete

Hi again to all,

according to the Satnav the speedo in the Yaris is about 10% fast across the 30-70 mph range , now I realise that this can have an advantage to avoid speeding tickets but here's a thought ...... The car will need servicing 10% earlier and if the warranty on some parts is mileage limited to say 100,000 miles then the actual mileage will only be 90,000 miles! I guess this willl apply to a few different models but like I said just a thought ......... ;).

Pete.

According to my Satnav, the Yaris speedo is 1mph fast at 30mph and 2mph fast at 60.

Perhaps your satnav is wrong?

My Old Rover was 10% out my land rover was about 1mph off 2years ago with new tyres but now is about 5% out still to check the Yaris.

But I imagine that with time and tyre wear it will broaden the gap between the satnav and the speedometer in the car.

According to my Satnav, the Yaris speedo is 1mph fast at 30mph and 2mph fast at 60.

Perhaps your satnav is wrong?

Perhaps yours is :lol:!! Mines is a TomTom what's yours?

Actually my point wasn't that serious really .... just a bit of banter, thanks for joining in.

Pete. :thumbsup:

What the car is telling you your doing speed wise and what the ODO clocks are different. On the majority of modern cars the 10% speed gain is programmed into the software, so the car knows your doing only 30MPH, and thats what the ODO clocks, but the software programming will make it display 33MPH on the dash.

One way you can check this is to do a live data feed through OBD2 port when driving, and see what speed the diagnostics tool you are using indicates, as this will be the speed the ODO clock from.

As to older cable driven speedo units though, You may well be correct, in that that car has only done 100,000miles when it displays 110,000 miles.

What the car is telling you your doing speed wise and what the ODO clocks are different. On the majority of modern cars the 10% speed gain is programmed into the software, so the car knows your doing only 30MPH, and thats what the ODO clocks, but the software programming will make it display 33MPH on the dash.

One way you can check this is to do a live data feed through OBD2 port when driving, and see what speed the diagnostics tool you are using indicates, as this will be the speed the ODO clock from.

As to older cable driven speedo units though, You may well be correct, in that that car has only done 100,000miles when it displays 110,000 miles.

Great info mate, cheers.

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links