Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Re: Basic Service .

Zincubus

Hey guys , just a bit of advice please !

I am useless with cars and just manage to fill her up with petrol .

Our annual mileage is just 4000 !!!!

On Wednesday out Rav 4.1 W reg 2000cc is booked into the local Toyota garage in Bury , Gtr Manchester for a MOT .

We have always had it serviced at the same time as the MOT but this year we just cant afford a service .

I asked Toyota if they would do a check on all the important things ...I was thinking power assisted steering fluid , cooent levels and brake fluid etc but the girl ( after saying they'd do a basic service for £80 )just said that they do a " standard safety check" anyway.

Any ideas ??

Could somebody just list the IMPORTANT things I should ask them to check/ replace after they've done the MOT , please .

Thanks !!

the Visual Safety Report should cover 39 checks, you'll get a paper report & it's free

Hey guys , just a bit of advice please !

I am useless with cars and just manage to fill her up with petrol .

Our annual mileage is just 4000 !!!!

On Wednesday out Rav 4.1 W reg 2000cc is booked into the local Toyota garage in Bury , Gtr Manchester for a MOT .

We have always had it serviced at the same time as the MOT but this year we just cant afford a service .

I asked Toyota if they would do a check on all the important things ...I was thinking power assisted steering fluid , cooent levels and brake fluid etc but the girl ( after saying they'd do a basic service for £80 )just said that they do a " standard safety check" anyway.

Any ideas ??

Could somebody just list the IMPORTANT things I should ask them to check/ replace after they've done the MOT , please .

Thanks !!

sorts of simple things is brake fluid level is ok.... screen wash in washer bottle and they work; wipers are clearing screen properly (no streaks);...

to be honest, I'd go to an independednt garage rather than use a dealer in case simple things need fixed... otherwise you pay £80 an hour for labour at the dealer.

Tyres - I'd guess the free safety check would warn you or a tyre place would check. Tyre pressures are at 26. bulbs all work.

And take it for a longish drive before it goes in for the MOT to burn out the crap in the engine - fill up with Shell VPower (higher octane)

I'm with you 100%,Bothy, re your suggestion to consult an indie garage.

Also,surely the MOT will cover the main points,is,nt that the idea of it? :unsure: it costs enough but gives peace of mind.

Del

I think what they are offering you is good

But here is what I would do (without knowing the year of your car or if its auto)

Read you car manual and stick to its schedule for changing of all your car fluids.

*Regular oil changes are important in all Rav's. Use a good fullsynthetic if your car is reasonably new or a semi synthetic or synthetic based 10W30. Change every 6000k maximum with a new oil filter if synthetic base oil. 8000k with a full synthetic.

* A new air filter every 20,000 to 30,000k. more often if you use dusty roads, then you aso need to get it blown out with an air gun to clean it every 6mths

* Add a fuel system and injector cleaner to your petrol tank every 6 mths

* Change your gearbox or auto transmission fluid at 100,000k (Even if the garage says its ok, insist on changing it)

* Same goes for your 4wd fluids (Differential oil, not sure if they also have a transfer case)

* Cambelt and tensioners at 100,000 km

* Brake Fluid - Brake Fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water. Most people never change their brake fluid and this will cause problems later with seized and rusted brake cylinders. Manufacturers of fluid say to change it every year. Every 4 years or 50,000k is probably ok..unless your car is sitting outside in th erain or long grass.

Cooling system / antifreeze - as you know this stops your coolant from freezing and protects your system from rust etc. What most people dont know is that after a year or so, this same coolant loses it effect and can actually start to eat at your metals. Your car will need a special coolant. Check with your Toyota dealer on how often you should get them to drain and replace it

There are a few more things that can be done after 200,000k's. Ive probably forgot some but Im sure someone else will mention them ..

A VSR is exactly that, a VISUAL report. They will not remove wheels or actually make any adjustments, but will report anything that is not likely to last for the foreseeable future. MOT's are similar but should not be used to say the car is fault free, cars can have faults that would be advisory but not failable

Kingo :thumbsup:

The point I was trying to make is that a MOT pass is proof the vehicle is satisfactory from a safety point of view,as laid down by law,at the time of the test,so a good place to start.The tester will also report any likelihood of anything that may need attention in the future re the things that he/she has checked.

Whilst in no way disagreeing with Kingo's post(PERISH THE THOUGHT!)even a major service only covers the points recommended by the manufacturer and in no way can they state that the vehicle is fault free,but will be better for the attention. :thumbsup:

This is only my semi-qualified opinion and should be treated as such. :unsure::blink:

Del

The point I was trying to make is that a MOT pass is proof the vehicle is satisfactory from a safety point of view,as laid down by law,at the time of the test,so a good place to start.The tester will also report any likelihood of anything that may need attention in the future re the things that he/she has checked.

Whilst in no way disagreeing with Kingo's post(PERISH THE THOUGHT!)even a major service only covers the points recommended by the manufacturer and in no way can they state that the vehicle is fault free,but will be better for the attention. :thumbsup:

This is only my semi-qualified opinion and should be treated as such. :unsure::blink:

Del

hi guys! regarding collant....is 50/50 a good mix? or should it be stronger/weaker?

Del

hi guys! regarding collant....is 50/50 a good mix? or should it be stronger/weaker?

I think that a 50/50 mix is the right way to go when it comes to coolant. Just make sure its the correct one for the engine as Toyota (As well as other manufactures) have Pink/red ect for different ages of cars :thumbsup:

Quick update !

Well the W reg Rav4 passed her MOT with flying colours ALTHOUGH ........ the visual safety report unearthed a few worrying things.

1) Front Brake pads showing wear ...NS 50% 50% , OS 50% 50% .

Notes

Discs - Front inbalance on RBT advise discs and pads - approx cost £220 . the guy said that if we ever did an emergency stop the car would probably not stop straight but may veer to one side as indicated in the RBT tests. They say we really need new front brake discs and its advised to have the corresponding pads replaced at the same time !!??

Not urgent but it has put that 'doubt' in my mind.

(Back brake pads ok only 30% wear across the board.)

2) Suggest relacement of both front tyres due to wear.

NS 4-4-2.5 2.5-4-4 OS ( both badly worn in the inside section which apparentally is probably due to the wheels needing to be aligned - cost £80) .

Not urgent but they suggested new tyres in the next few months and certainly before Winter.

We cant afford to do either at the moment but I was wondering in WHICH order we should have the jobs done .

Thanks !!

PS We only do about 80 miles per week ( towns not motorways).

I would suggest have the tracking (wheel alignment)checked first,sometimes this is a free service by some tyre depots.

If it is found to be incorrect and remedied it should make your tyres last a little longer.At your stated annual mileage that could be quite a while longer,but have them checked at the same time as the tracking.Or to put it another way get a second,other,opinion and see if it matches the first!

Standard practice is to always fit new pads and disc's together as they "bed in" with each other,but there are members on here with a far greater knowledge than I,so take heed of their advice on this.

Hope this helps.

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links