Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Update

baz1631

well after 9mths sitting doing nuthin' the works being getting done on the rav! starting with the cheapest option:

new vsv: fitted

new scv's : fitted

new oil & filter: done

drain & refill with new coolant: done......................now big question ,,,,,will it start?.hope so, coz the price of a recon turbo is a no go right now! heres hoping :rolleyes:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baz1631

• anchorman

• Big Kev

• crofter

well after 9mths sitting doing nuthin' the works being getting done on the rav! starting with the cheapest option:

new vsv: fitted

new scv's : fitted

new oil & filter: done

drain & refill with new coolant: done......................now big question ,,,,,will it start?.hope so, coz the price of a recon turbo is a no go right now! heres hoping :rolleyes:

ok, car starts ok, but sounds a "bit rough" not getting enough revs (about 2500) any ideas? is it definately the turbo or hav I missed something? Any help would be appretiated !

I have just rebuilt my turbo for £130.00. can talk you throught it if that helps. i got the parts from Flea bay. I did need to do a small mod on the backplate but it seems fine otherwise. Not road tested it yet cos I've got to change the alternator which i'm just battling with.

Change the fuel filter.

While you're at it put some fuel system cleaner through to clean the jets etc.

I have just rebuilt my turbo for £130.00. can talk you throught it if that helps. i got the parts from Flea bay. I did need to do a small mod on the backplate but it seems fine otherwise. Not road tested it yet cos I've got to change the alternator which i'm just battling with.

That's an offer ye CANNAE refuse, Baz....nice one BFR....YOU ARE NOW AN HONORARY SCOTSMAN, IF NOT ONE ALREADY, but you need to move up here and NEVER moan about the weather.....tough assignment, mate....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

GOLLY GOSH....THIS IS MY 1000th POSTIFICATION...!!!! Ah should get a prize now....none of youz thought ANYBODY could talk this amount of drivel, eh ???? :yahoo:

GOLLY GOSH....THIS IS MY 1000th POSTIFICATION...!!!! Ah should get a prize now.... :yahoo:

Put your name down for a star Kev, some of us are already blessed :rolleyes:

<<<<<Over there <<<<<<

Kingo :thumbsup:

GOLLY GOSH....THIS IS MY 1000th POSTIFICATION...!!!! Ah should get a prize now.... :yahoo:

<<<<<Over there <<<<<<

Now, now, Kingo....if Les McGiddlepin sees fit to award a star, I am sure it will happen in the fullness of time. He is probably sitting out on his new decking, the nicest decking I have ever seen in what is more than likely the nicest garden in the whole of That England........all of the foregoing he is totally due, being possibly the nicest resident of said nation.

Please desist from trying to sway him in this manner.

Big Kev :shutit:

<<<<<Over there <<<<<<

Now, now, Kingo....if Les McGiddlepin sees fit to award a star, I am sure it will happen in the fullness of time. He is probably sitting out on his new decking, the nicest decking I have ever seen in what is more than likely the nicest garden in the whole of That England........all of the foregoing he is totally due, being possibly the nicest resident of said nation.

Big Kev :!Removed!:

cheers BK an' everyone else! might take ye up on that offer of a talk through. Just a thought, would dirty/BLOCKED/WORN INJECTORS have the same /similar effects as turbo? ie: white smoke/ missing/sounding rough?...... and is it feasable to renew the offending injector or do you have to renew all?...........still tryin' to avoid going down the turbo route!!new filter fitted just after breakdown.

Change the fuel filter.

+ 1 and bleed fuel injection system from an air

by the way -- have you ocasionally rotated the fuel pump and violated inj timing (i doubt)

cheers/Igor

<<<<<Over there <<<<<<

Big Kev :shutit:

cheers BK an' everyone else! might take ye up on that offer of a talk through. Just a thought, would dirty/BLOCKED/WORN INJECTORS have the same /similar effects as turbo? ie: white smoke/ missing/sounding rough?...... and is it feasable to renew the offending injector or do you have to renew all?...........still tryin' to avoid going down the turbo route!!new filter fitted just after breakdown.

Baz.....if the turbo can be fixed along the same lines as BFR has done, and even at double his current cash outlay, it will probably still be cheaper methinks than ONE injector, which seem to be extra eemly expensive...!!!

Big Kev :unsure:

Did you do the fuel filter?

Any over fuelling fault will cause it to white smoke.

Don't forget that BFRs turbo fix involved some engineering to make it work. You will have to have the same facilities to do it at the same price.

Did you do the fuel filter?

Any over fuelling fault will cause it to white smoke.

Don't forget that BFRs turbo fix involved some engineering to make it work. You will have to have the same facilities to do it at the same price.

Hi anchorman, yes .well i put a new filter on just after the "turbo went". (supposing it was the turbo) also new scv's/vcv / oil & filter/coolant. just concernd about the "rough running" and low revs (about 2000-2500 max, @ full throttle ). thought there might b something wrong with the injectors but dont know the resistance peramiters?.the scv's were definately :censor: with no resistance reading at all, and when new ones fitted ,started ok.but still white smoke and low revs.Beginin' to get really :censor: off! but determined to get it fixed :rolleyes:

Just a thought here Baz but is it smoke? or is it possibly steam? maybe from a blown head gasket. I saw a customer years ago who on the phone said he had white smoke but on investigation it was steam from a blown head gasket

Big Kev

With comments like that I'm sure Les McModerator will give you 5 stars...........your creep :lol:

Just a thought here Baz but is it smoke? or is it possibly steam? maybe from a blown head gasket. I saw a customer years ago who on the phone said he had white smoke but on investigation it was steam from a blown head gasket

Big Kev

With comments like that I'm sure Les McModerator will give you 5 stars...........your creep :lol:

sorry, Kingo....I know not that which you refer to....? He's obviously away on holiday....ah think a I'll steal his garden....

Mr. B. Rowntung

Big Kev

Now you've really got me confused! should i put it into a garage and get them tochange the head gasket? or get them to fit a turbo.....really gettin worried now, both can be very expensive :blink:

It can only be checked properly by somebody with experience and maybe some diagnostic equipment. If you've done what you can, find a garage with a good reputation to advise you :thumbsup:

It can only be checked properly by somebody with experience and maybe some diagnostic equipment. If you've done what you can, find a garage with a good reputation to advise you :thumbsup:

Thanks anch. I''ve done all I can(i think) and it has basicly just put the problem back too the begining , ie: lack of poweer, low revs, white smoke/steam and now ive noticed some "gunge" on the inside of the oil cap. usualy a sign of head gasket trouble or so im told!

Does it bubble in the header tank? Is the coolant discoloured in the tank?

just changed coolant and ran engine for about 10 mins. dont think the level droped that much and wasnt really lookin @ header tank! was too busy listening to engine nois which didnt sound normal , and watching the exhaust to see if it cleared.sorry! Ive had head gaskets go before and the engine still ran better than this one ,but they were petrol not diesel

just changed coolant and ran engine for about 10 mins. dont think the level droped that much and wasnt really lookin @ header tank! was too busy listening to engine nois which didnt sound normal , and watching the exhaust to see if it cleared.sorry! Ive had head gaskets go before and the engine still ran better than this one ,but they were petrol not diesel

Tried to atart car tonight with fully charged Battery, wont turn atall, but starter is hot ,checked fuses/connections etc, any thoughts?

Cylinder full of water causing a hydraulic lock maybe ?

Phil

Cylinder full of water causing a hydraulic lock maybe ?

Phil

Hi Phil, What cylinder?.cylinder heead?

I mean if you have a leaking head gasket, then its quite possible that water has filled the space on top of one of the pistons.

If you try to turn the engine over in this condition it would lock solid because the water cannot be compresed.

I am not trying to alarm you, but it is a possibilty.

Phil

I mean if you have a leaking head gasket, then its quite possible that water has filled the space on top of one of the pistons.

If you try to turn the engine over in this condition it would lock solid because the water cannot be compresed.

I am not trying to alarm you, but it is a possibilty.

Phil

OK, Thanks for the info. would this b possible if the car has not moved/ started for nearly 9 :censor: months?