Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Embarressing

wedryjoel

I have a 94 2.0 gt 16v (pop up lights ( I think gen 5))

Well coming back from her buying a vauxhall tigra 1.4 and she was following me I floored the throttle and she stayed with me . Do i have a problem with the car....

Both cars are standard... And I can't have sh#*!y vauxhall's keeping up... :ffs:

Not that much m8!! But the weight difference between the cars is quite considarable.. obviously top end the celica is quicker, it's just through accelleration

And nearly 10 years of engine developement.

So are you saying this is normal or could the cat be blocked. I drove the tigra and it is a nippy little thing... But you won't budge me from my sillycar :group-cuddles:

Just compare the weight of the tigra against your car, you'll see it weighs much less. You have probably 150hp she will have around 120 so there's a good chance she would have a higher bhp/ton figure than you hence the acceleration of the Tigra will match or better yours.

The tigra would have 89bhp been a 1.4 litre. So you have got more bhp than your wife's. Perhaps you need a good service and tune up mate. The tigra will seem nippy but you should out run it easily.

jerry!!

Yep looks like Jerry is right. The 1.4 Tigra should do 0 to 60 in 10.5 and top out at 118mph I dont know the official 0-60 for the Celica but I doubt its over 9 seconds.

:lol: I think I found the problem!! The clutch does'nt feel right.... As a new owner to the celica I'm not sure how they should feel... Off hand can any of you guys or lasses tell me how much it costs to replace a clutch... Is mr clutch the way to go? :thumbsup:

Replacement clutch :crybaby: Thats going to be expensive. Kiss good bye to £200 + :eek:

jerry!!

The weight of the celica is a huge drawback but yeah a clutch is not the cheapest or easiest thing to replace. If its some comfort replacing the clutch in mine would've cost well in excess of $1000NZD (about 400 pound) but mates rates applied in my case.

I've rarely found the weight of the celica is a problem. I've blasted a good few tigra's off the road and they never had a chance. I also have a Gen 5 and even though she is an older car, she can hold her own with virtually anything. Its well worthwhile getting her serviced regularly and also ensuring they use fully synthetic oil. I got mine flushed clean as I wasn't too sure what oil the previous owners used. Enjoy, celicas are the best! (impreza may be faster but boy, are they ugly!)

in response to your tigra problem, i practically got wasted by an astra sxi in my gen 5.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tigra?? Astra SXi???

Not being funny but is anyone else shocked at this???

My old girl (a '93 GT with 110K on the clock) is still a spritely performer despite her age / weight / mileage etc.

I've had a go with a few motors in my time (my mates are into cars too) and the closest have been one mates Saxo VTS and another used to have a CRX del-sol Si-R- these were identical in acceleration to my GT (done on a private road, of course).

Therefore i'm surprised at this- were these vauxhalls modified at all??

Another tip if u aint owned a gen 5 for long is hold it in second quite a bit past the red line, then ur still on TVIS (or whatever its called) when u drop it into third ;)

Tigra?? Astra SXi???

My old girl (a '93 GT with 110K on the clock) is still a spritely performer despite her age / weight / mileage etc.

I've had a go with a few motors in my time (my mates are into cars too) and the closest have been one mates Saxo VTS and another used to have a CRX del-sol Si-R- these were identical in acceleration to my GT (done on a private road, of course).

Another tip if u aint owned a gen 5 for long is hold it in second quite a bit past the red line, then ur still on TVIS (or whatever its called) when u drop it into third ;)

No Mate

the astra was completely standard and as good as kicked my *****,

ok i got him at 110 all the way to the top end, but off the mark he took me off the motorway!

what you reckon about power boost valves?

Tigra?? Astra SXi???

:thumbsup: I love the gen5 and it is quick.. But not owning one before I not sure on its habbits...

If i'm in second gear it accellerates to 45mph at about 4500rpm to 5000rpm quite quickly, And if I keep my foot down nothing really happens until it reaches 6000rpm where the car seems to accellerate again to 60mph+ very quickly :thumbsup: Is this normal, or is the clutch dodgey... And sorry but when following the wife and her little tigra, she couldn't get away but i could gain...

:wacko: Mmmmmmmmmmmm......... interesting..........

the kisk at 4500 could be to do with the torque being at the top of its curve, but only taking off at six? Not sure matey.

Could be that clutch u mentioned- does it rev then the speed kinda "catches up on itself?"

maybe my mates VTS and delsols are just knackered, and i'm being lead into a false sense of security :lol:

what you reckon about power boost valves?

These are quite a handy tool when other things have been messed with i believe. They allow the fuel regulation to be adjusted, and when set on a rolling road can optimise other modifications (dont quote me on this, this is not through experience!)

How effective they would be on a standard car i don't know i'm afraid :wacko:

I do know that they are avaliable for celicas from FSE (www.fensport.co.uk) and HKS (www.celicabits.co.uk) ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links