Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Turn To Be An Utter Pillock !

CharlieFarlie

Yesterday evening I did the unthinkable !! I pulled in to refuel My Rav 4 T180 and filled it up with 60 quids worth of super unleaded !!!! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@ I hear You say but I was as usual in a hurry and My mind (Small)was elsewhere !! As I pulled the nozzle out I realised what I had done .......MMMMmmmmmm Realising the damage that could be done I pushed the car off the forecourt and into a recycling bay. So the RAC Who were absolutely brilliant took the car to a Pals garage and kindly dropped it off. Mark and Me disconnected the pipes from the bottom of the tank but only 48 or so litres came out. So We undid the tank and tilted it over and out came the remaining balance of the 60 litre tank capacity.... Pillock or what !! After refuelling with £79s worth of the best Diesel all is AOK.

Any way the point of My silly story is just a reminder of how easy it is to take Your eyes off the ball !!

Today I went to Halfords and bought an RAC Fuelsafe which is basically a replacement cap in very bright Orange colour (RAC?) The cap is removed with the end of the Diesel pump nozzle which is of course larger in diameter than a Petrol one so cannot be removed with one of those ... Cost was £29. So I would recommend one of these........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How glad am I that I did not do the above To My beloved Jaguar XF !!

Charlie.

If you do it the other way round it still runs fine, or at least it did for me. stuck £20 of diesel in my petrol car and it run sweet as nut. :yahoo:

Yes but Your petrol car does not have the hugely complex high pressure fuel or Diesel pumps that the Diesel has !! Literally thousands of pounds worth of damage can be caused if the engine is run until the coughing and spluttering starts ......

Not an excuse cos there isn't one !! The pump on the right was Unleaded. The centre pump was Diesel the pump on the left was the super unleaded which I thought was the fancy Diesel. The pump head and the pipe were all black. Not green.. Why have the Diesel in between two petrol pump heads ?? Why not have the two petrol pumps to the right and the diesel on the left and both petrol hoses in green ??

Anyway as I say No excuses it was just one of those things ............

Thats life,Charlie me old mate,we live and learn,We live and learn.

No consolation tho',you have,I suspect qualified to join a club that has many,many members.

Glad no harm was done and you are back on the road :thumbsup:

Del

Easy mistake to make, the pumps near me have black pumps for super unleaded and that super diesel (name?) with a yellow band round them stating which it is in small writing, if you not on the ball one morning its easy to grab the wrong pump.

Norfolk police spend thouseds of pounds each year on repairs to their cars cos drivers are filling with wrong fuel.

Your not alone Charlie. we all make mistakes.yours costed you very little. it could have been far more expensive.

Show me someone who has never made a mistake,and i will show you a liar.

Yesterday evening I did the unthinkable !! I pulled in to refuel My Rav 4 T180 and filled it up with 60 quids worth of super unleaded !!!! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@ I hear You say but I was as usual in a hurry and My mind (Small)was elsewhere !! As I pulled the nozzle out I realised what I had done .......MMMMmmmmmm Realising the damage that could be done I pushed the car off the forecourt and into a recycling bay. So the RAC Who were absolutely brilliant took the car to a Pals garage and kindly dropped it off. Mark and Me disconnected the pipes from the bottom of the tank but only 48 or so litres came out. So We undid the tank and tilted it over and out came the remaining balance of the 60 litre tank capacity.... Pillock or what !! After refuelling with £79s worth of the best Diesel all is AOK.

Any way the point of My silly story is just a reminder of how easy it is to take Your eyes off the ball !!

Today I went to Halfords and bought an RAC Fuelsafe which is basically a replacement cap in very bright Orange colour (RAC?) The cap is removed with the end of the Diesel pump nozzle which is of course larger in diameter than a Petrol one so cannot be removed with one of those ... Cost was £29. So I would recommend one of these........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Charlie.

Been there Charlie,,,,T-Shirt now worn out....petrol in diesel Peugeot....mates still slag me about it.

Big Kev :censor:

Sounds like we should get a job-lot of fuel angels for you lot for xmas :lol:

Been there also felt like a ****** after it and my mates? still ***** themselves every now and then at the recollection of it.

me i just put it down to a senior moment :rolleyes:

Woody

Sounds like we should get a job-lot of fuel angels for you lot for xmas :lol:

Cheapest Fuel angel on eBay £50.... RAC one from Halfords which has a universal fitting kit and is absolutely brilliant £29 .....I fitted on Yesterday the device is very bright (RAC ? ) Orange so that alone will serve as a reminder !! You have to insert the diesel nozzle into the cap to remove it.. The petrol one being slimmer will not remove it so even if You are half asleep and miss the luminous Orange cap You will still be OK.. Comes with a tool that will remove the cap if You want to fill from a jerry can or similar This part I have stowed in the bag along with the jack ect...

This device can be easily removed and used on Your next car if its a Diesel So will last for Years ... Brilliant !!!! :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Been there Charlie,,,,T-Shirt now worn out....petrol in diesel Peugeot....mates still slag me about it.

Kev. Its just so easy to do !! At least I realised before starting the engine !! RAC wanted 310 quid to drain it !! They kindly offered to drop this to 278 quid when I said No Ta !!! Once on the ramp the pipe to drain is obvious. BUT a screwdriver has to gently be pushed up the tube to open what is either a non return valve or an anti syphon device........ Then the fuel runs out very fast... BUT only 45 litres came out so We had to remove the bolts closest to the nearside of the car that hold the tank straps then with the aid of one of those gearbox hydraulic jacks We gently lowered the nearside of the tank and the rest then flowed out....

Total job time 45 minutes ... 278 quid ???? My botom .....................

Charlie.

Kev. Its just so easy to do !! At least I realised before starting the engine !! RAC wanted 310 quid to drain it !! They kindly offered to drop this to 278 quid when I said No Ta !!! Once on the ramp the pipe to drain is obvious. BUT a screwdriver has to gently be pushed up the tube to open what is either a non return valve or an anti syphon device........ Then the fuel runs out very fast... BUT only 45 litres came out so We had to remove the bolts closest to the nearside of the car that hold the tank straps then with the aid of one of those gearbox hydraulic jacks We gently lowered the nearside of the tank and the rest then flowed out....

Yeah, I guess they would charge roughly that to syphon your bottom :eek:

On the subject of diesel, noticed tonight that price dropped 2p/litre at local garage. Anyone else seen prices going down?

Unfortunate mistake to make, but I'm sure I remember you stating on here that there was no difference between cheap fuel and premium fuel, so how come you were putting the 'good stuff' in?

Charlie.

Yeah, I guess they would charge roughly that to syphon your bottom :eek:

On the subject of diesel, noticed tonight that price dropped 2p/litre at local garage. Anyone else seen prices going down?

diesel went down by 2p in oban a couple of days ago :yahoo:

Yup

Even the naughtiest of the A30-side service stations have dropped now. The best of the bunch round here away from the influences of big supermarkets is the Shell station at Sourton Cross west of Okehampton at 137.9p down from a peak of 143.9. It is a help but it still hurts and I bet it won't last. :crybaby:

Thinks............ I can get a case of wine delivered from Majestic or Virgin for the same amount of dosh as a tank of diesel. Mind you at that price there probably won't be much difference in the taste. :g:

Mike D

No joy yet on the Isle of Man,diesel still £1.49 per litre

Regards Clare

Clare its £1:41 in the Midlands .... :crybaby: :crybaby:

Unfortunate mistake to make, but I'm sure I remember you stating on here that there was no difference between cheap fuel and premium fuel, so how come you were putting the 'good stuff' in?

Because You lot convinced Me !! Honest ! So I genuinely thought I was putting in the top quality Diesel .... Ah well the device that now sits on the filler will hopefully prevent it happening again..

Charlie

Have you noticed any difference (apart from the cost)?

No Mate to be absolutely truthful not one little bit !! But I just thought it was worth the little extra just to keep everything as good as it can be . I've started Well I did before I came away for 8 weeks putting it in the XF as well. It seems all these modern Diesels with common rail technology suffer from one woe or another ???

I remain absolutely and totally convinced that the regular diesel sold at any of the retailers is the same as supermarket stuff but concede that the posh stuff should be different .... Well I hope it is !!

The difference might have been marginal and slow to progress. Maybe a tank of regular would highlight a difference? I know it does in my car.

Totally agree about the modern engines suffering more than the older lumps without all this high pressure and ECU control.

I remember my 1.9 Peugeot 306 D Turbo being bullet proof and returning a constant 55mpg no matter how it was driven, and that was an engine made in 1998. Good times :)

Yeah, but back then they didn't need to worry about stupid crap like emissions and lung cancer :lol:

It is true tho', while the common-rail diesel engines are better peformance-wise, they're a lot more delicate; Gone are the days when you could throw any old crap oil into the engine and expect it to work! :crybaby:

I never noticed much diff between supermarket and 'proper' diesel (My Shell FuelSave experiment has been rather disappointing; Not really noticeable difference!), but the 'super' diesels like V-Power do show some performance differences (Mainly at high revs which makes them useless for fuel economy :lol:)

The difference might have been marginal and slow to progress. Maybe a tank of regular would highlight a difference? I know it does in my car.

Totally agree about the modern engines suffering more than the older lumps without all this high pressure and ECU control.

I remember my 1.9 Peugeot 306 D Turbo being bullet proof and returning a constant 55mpg no matter how it was driven, and that was an engine made in 1998. Good times :)

Yer the XUD engine was a peach. Had the same one on my 1992 Citroen ZX. Loved that car :thumbsup:

• Like 1