Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nurburgring Challenge 2011

Fawbs

Charity Page - http://www.bmycharity.com/nurburgringchallenge2011

Right guys i'm doing a Nurburgring charity run for help for Heroes in October. Everything goes to charity as you can see on the website you can donate online which makes things a lot easier. I'm hoping to push this around the car forums a lot so if you are part of another forum can i ask you please would you post this up, it would be much appreciated. Only started this up the not so long ago but i am starting to push the advertising as i am off work this week and have time to contact people and companies, see what i can sort out. In case you don't know what Help for Heroes is about there is a brief description at the bottom of the charity page or you can simply go here www.helpforheroes.org

The challenge we are undertaking is to get round the nurburgring in 9 minutes or under but we are all novices of the Nurburgring. You can start to see now why it is a bit challenging however if we discover we have amazing driving skills and manage to nail 9 minutes early on then we are going to push it to 8 minutes 30 seconds.

I hope everyone who reads this will decide to donate, its a fantastic cause as i'm sure many of you know already. We will be getting footage of us on the track so you guys see if we do it or crash out.

Thanks to everyone who donates in advance and please help us spread the word of the event.

Mike

PS - Anyone who wants to come along you are most welcome.

Great idea to do a charity Nurburgring run. However i think its a really really REALLY bad idea for everyone to try and get under 9mins. Its not easy at all. I've never got under 8mins and im a regular!

You'll have other cars, bikers, accidents, oil spills etc etc

And trying to do a 8:30 if you've never been before just isnt going to happen. There was a guy there when i went who has a ST205 with 610bhp! But even he wasnt getting any less than 8:30.

I've been going to the Nurburgring every year since 2005 (It was a trip organised here on TOC!) and even on my recent trip (end of last month) I still didnt get around below 10mins - the conditions just werent right.

There was so many things that werent right on our trip and it can so easily be the same for any trip.

The weather was patchy, one moment it was raining and the next it was sunny which meant as you were going around the track the grip was constantly changing.

It was very busy as well, so you essentially were constantly overtaking slower drivers and then having to move over very quickly to allow the nutters past in their 911 GT3 RS's.

I saw at least 3 written off cars at the side of the road in the 2 days i was on track and saw a brand new GTR lose it at Aremberg - nearly took me with him! He just managed to avoid crashing his car be there was a prat and powered out the gravel spraying my car in stones :(

On my very first trip i counted 5 - yes 5! Deaths over a 4 day Easter weekend :( Its a seriously dangerous place and unless you are well experienced and comfortable with your own car i would strongly advise against trying to do anything more than a comfortable lap.

Lastly my oil temps peaked at about 130 degree's! This caused my water temps to shoot up and then my stock rad cap let the contents of my radiator out through the bonnet vent all over my windscreen on my 2nd lap. So rather than push on and risk doing damage to the car i used up my laps and retired.

Im now in the process of upgrading all the cooling systems on my car as i was naive to think i could add 100bhp to a car and the standard cooling system would cope with it. I never noticed this in the UK as you just never abuse your car over here like you do at the Nurburgring.

The reason i mention this is that you being a GT4 owner yourself, you should consider upgrading your cooling systems too - even if you car is standard! You dont want to do what i did and get all the way there and find that you car is getting too hot - it just ruins your trip.

On an ST205 i would advise a proper boost gauge, a oil pressure gauge and most important of all an oil temp gauge. I would advise what im doing and get yourself an uprated Rad cap (Somewhere between 1.1 - 1.5bar) and a decent size oil cooler with a thermostat.

Sorry if i come across a bit preachy here. But in real life the track is nothing like Gran Turismo/Forza and it certainly isnt anything like Clarkson doing Nur in his Diesel Jag (Which in all honesty i think he never managed - 9mins 59secs? - C'mon!)

In real life the track will chew you up and spit you out if you make a mistake. There are very few run offs and many many places where you can easily kill yourself if you go too fast or understeer/oversteer.

Just dont want to see anyone getting hurt :)

Haha i know all this leeky, 610bhp? that must be sonic with the blue 205??? Yeh he's a regular track day drive so i doubt i will need to go for 8:30 but 9 minutes is possible, just about, i think haha. I know what you are saying mate but its for charity and you have to push things otherwise wouldn't be a challenge and as stupid as it is, if i did die i'd be doing something i loved.

Really i'm the only one going for 9minutes, the other 2 probably have better driving experience but its my car at the end of the day and if anyone is going to wreck it i'd rather it be me.

You should come leeky, got possibly another 2 gt4's coming at the moment.

Here's my spec list by the way:

ECU - APEXI POWER FC WITH HAND COMMANDER - THIS WILL BE GETTING MAPPED ON 6TH JULY BY RYAN FROM 2BAR TUNING, SHOULD BE LOOKING AROUND THE 450BHP AT 1.6BAR, WILL UPDATE ONCE MAPPED.

HKS 264 CAMS INTAKE AND EXHAUST

FERREA VALVES

DUAL SPRINGS

TITANIUM RETAINERS AND NEW FERREA COLLETS

SUPERTECH 8MM SHIMS

SUPERTECH NEW BUCKETS

VERNIER CAM PULLEYS

HKS KEVLAR CAMBELT

1.1MM APEXI HEAD GASKET

ARP HEAD STUDS + NUTS

CP 86.5MM FORGED PISTONS

CP PISTON RINGS

EAGLE FORGED RODS

800CC SARD FUEL INJECTORS

WALBRO FUEL PUMP

ARP 2000 CON ROD BOLTS

ARP MAIN BEARING STUDS + NUTS

ACL ROD BEARINGS 0.001” OVERSIZED

ACL MAIN BEARINGS 0.001” OVERSIZED

ACL THRUST WASHERS

F1 CLUTCH RATED TO 450BHP/420LBS FT TORQUE

F1 CHROMOLY 11LBS FLYWHEEL

40MM CORE GOLPHER ALUMINIUM RADIATOR

TRD 71DEG THERMOSTAT

4LIFE COOLANT

SWIRL POT AND HEADER TANK ADDED TO COOLANT SETUP

BIGGER GEARBOX COOLER

ADDITIONAL 10 ROW ENGINE OIL COOLER

FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER WITH LAGGED PIPES

NGR TYPE S BOV (ATMOSPHERIC)

GARRETT GT3071R WITH 0.86A/R TURBINE HOUSING, 4” INTAKE, 3” 4 BOLT EXHAUST

TURBO PRE RADIATOR

4” STRAIGHT INTAKE

COLD AIR BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED

EXTERNAL WASTEGATE WITH 0.9BAR SPRING

SCREAMER PIPE

STANDARD EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH DUAL ENTRY BRIDGE REMOVED

3” DOWNPIPE (CURRENTLY MODIFYING)

3” STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM

SLIMLINE PULL FANS WITH FAN SWITCH

Battery WHERE REAR SEAT WAS

PLATINUM PLUGS HEAT GRADE 7

POLYURETHANE ENGINE MOUNTS

JSP SOLID GEAR SHIFT BUSHES

JSP UPRATED CRUSH TUBES

RTP GAUGE PODS

GAUGES - WATER TEMP, OIL TEMP, OIL PRESS, BOOST

WHITELINE ADJUSTABLE REAR ANTI ROLL BAR

D2 ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION

REAR INTERIOR REMOVED

SYTEC FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

DUAL FED FUEL RAIL

MOMO 350MM STEERING WHEEL

BLITZ BOOST CONTROLLER DUAL SOLENOID SPEC R

Was kind of hoping some other toyota people would be up for this, be good to have a few models coming along.

LOL Sorry dude, like i said i didnt mean to sound like a preacher and didnt realise tuning wise where you were with your car :)

Yeah it was a bloke (didnt catch his name) with a blue car.

8:30 is quite possible with at least 300bhp, good tyres/brakes and balls enough to plow into corners with the faith there are no cars around the other side of the bend on their roof lol

I've already done two trips this year so its unlikely i'll do a 3rd as im gonna take the GT4 off the road for a while until i figure out what im gonna do with it.

But all the best with the trip dude :)

As Lee said I would strongly advise against chasing a time. People that go there chasing times, especially first timers with a unreasonably low time are far more likely to be going home by bus...

I don't measure my lap times as once you start pushing you are more likely to do something silly (that is why it is not legal) my trip before last I joined track after a friend on this forum, overtook him, did a lap around the car bark when I got off and and a gentle drive out the car park, up to the top of the hill and back.. I rolled in just as he was leaving the track and he timed his lap to be dead on 10 minutes.... that puts my time, with a conservative gestimate at 8 45 at least... that's on my 4th (or 5th?) in a Stock M3 (bar fully polybushed, wider tyres, KDS fast road geo). That felt fast to me, and certainly not something I'd achieve on my first trip, in a car that was designed to go around that track!

-in contrast the trip after that I probably didn't breach 10. Just because the rear tyres were mis-balanced.

I also see no mention of uprated brakes on your car. - Even brand new factory brakes will not be up to this task, especially on your first trip. My first trip I distroyed a freshly fitted set of pagid fast road pads and uprated disks. Toyota brakes are not good from the factory, you will need to upgrade. I'd also go with braided lines.

I also see no mention of uprated brakes on your car. - Even brand new factory brakes will not be up to this task, especially on your first trip. My first trip I distroyed a freshly fitted set of pagid fast road pads and uprated disks. Toyota brakes are not good from the factory, you will need to upgrade. I'd also go with braided lines.

Actually dude to be fair the stock brakes are way over spec'ed for a stock ST205. As you know they are the same 4pot front 2pot rears as the UK Supra TT.

When i took my UK Supra TT on my first Nur trip i experienced zero brake fade and again zero fade on my recent trip in the GT4.

I know Toyota own pads are a bit shoddy on some models but the Stock pads and discs for the ST205/JZA80 are VERY good. Rebranded Ferodo i believe... (Not DS2500's but the Fast Road model below them whatever it is)

I think they would be more than able to handle as much as 500bhp so I wouldnt consider replacing them unless i was heading for some really insane power.

I thought you had UK brakes on yours Lee.....

And you didn't go fast enough in your red supra to get proper fade :P

Mine caught fire lol

Haha i know all this leeky, 610bhp? that must be sonic with the blue 205??? Yeh he's a regular track day drive so i doubt i will need to go for 8:30 but 9 minutes is possible, just about, i think haha. I know what you are saying mate but its for charity and you have to push things otherwise wouldn't be a challenge and as stupid as it is, if i did die i'd be doing something i loved.

Really i'm the only one going for 9minutes, the other 2 probably have better driving experience but its my car at the end of the day and if anyone is going to wreck it i'd rather it be me.

You should come leeky, got possibly another 2 gt4's coming at the moment.

Here's my spec list by the way:

ECU - APEXI POWER FC WITH HAND COMMANDER - THIS WILL BE GETTING MAPPED ON 6TH JULY BY RYAN FROM 2BAR TUNING, SHOULD BE LOOKING AROUND THE 450BHP AT 1.6BAR, WILL UPDATE ONCE MAPPED.

HKS 264 CAMS INTAKE AND EXHAUST

FERREA VALVES

DUAL SPRINGS

TITANIUM RETAINERS AND NEW FERREA COLLETS

SUPERTECH 8MM SHIMS

SUPERTECH NEW BUCKETS

VERNIER CAM PULLEYS

HKS KEVLAR CAMBELT

1.1MM APEXI HEAD GASKET

ARP HEAD STUDS + NUTS

CP 86.5MM FORGED PISTONS

CP PISTON RINGS

EAGLE FORGED RODS

800CC SARD FUEL INJECTORS

WALBRO FUEL PUMP

ARP 2000 CON ROD BOLTS

ARP MAIN BEARING STUDS + NUTS

ACL ROD BEARINGS 0.001” OVERSIZED

ACL MAIN BEARINGS 0.001” OVERSIZED

ACL THRUST WASHERS

F1 CLUTCH RATED TO 450BHP/420LBS FT TORQUE

F1 CHROMOLY 11LBS FLYWHEEL

40MM CORE GOLPHER ALUMINIUM RADIATOR

TRD 71DEG THERMOSTAT

4LIFE COOLANT

SWIRL POT AND HEADER TANK ADDED TO COOLANT SETUP

BIGGER GEARBOX COOLER

ADDITIONAL 10 ROW ENGINE OIL COOLER

FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER WITH LAGGED PIPES

NGR TYPE S BOV (ATMOSPHERIC)

GARRETT GT3071R WITH 0.86A/R TURBINE HOUSING, 4” INTAKE, 3” 4 BOLT EXHAUST

TURBO PRE RADIATOR

4” STRAIGHT INTAKE

COLD AIR BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED

EXTERNAL WASTEGATE WITH 0.9BAR SPRING

SCREAMER PIPE

STANDARD EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH DUAL ENTRY BRIDGE REMOVED

3” DOWNPIPE (CURRENTLY MODIFYING)

3” STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM

SLIMLINE PULL FANS WITH FAN SWITCH

BATTERY WHERE REAR SEAT WAS

PLATINUM PLUGS HEAT GRADE 7

POLYURETHANE ENGINE MOUNTS

JSP SOLID GEAR SHIFT BUSHES

JSP UPRATED CRUSH TUBES

RTP GAUGE PODS

GAUGES - WATER TEMP, OIL TEMP, OIL PRESS, BOOST

WHITELINE ADJUSTABLE REAR ANTI ROLL BAR

D2 ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION

REAR INTERIOR REMOVED

SYTEC FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

DUAL FED FUEL RAIL

MOMO 350MM STEERING WHEEL

BLITZ BOOST CONTROLLER DUAL SOLENOID SPEC R

and original brakes :eek: :eek: I had to change out the brakes on my number 1 RAV... but then I leave braking til when its really needed.

I thought you had UK brakes on yours Lee.....

And you didn't go fast enough in your red supra to get proper fade :P

Mine caught fire lol

UK and JDM both have the same 4 pot front 2 pot rears on the ST205. On the Supra's you get these brakes on the UK Cars or optional on the JDM TT's.

But yeah, the Supra 2 pot brakes are a bit pony.

LOL You should have seen me this year dude ;) The ST205 was proper rapid round Nur!......until the Rad cap gave up :(

• 9 months later...

afternoon boys, i am taking my avensis there this yeah. not quite as modded as your cars, by the time i go i should have lost some ride height with new shocks, already have upgraded to ebc green stuff brakes, p zero nero tires with a few other things.

would quite like a sport cat which would need to be custom, do you think it would make that much of a performance difference?

D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links