Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I Diagnosed This Correctly?

Leodanger

Hello all...

I hope you can help with this - I've tried researching what this fault code means, but want to check that I've gone the right way about narrowing down the problem.

My wife has a 2003 2.0L petrol Rav4 – the engine light came on today, and showed up a fault code P1135. This appears to be bank 1 sensor 1, which looks to be the one on the right of the exhaust manifold.

I tried disconnecting the right hand sensor from the loom (using the connection shown towards the right), and nothing changed on the code reader. I then plugged it back in, then unplugged the connection on the far left, leading to the left hand sensor. This gave an additional code of P1155. This leads me to believe that it's definitely a fault with the right hand exhaust manifold sensor. Am I right?

I picked this up from a Toyota forum regarding testing the heater circuit:

"You can check to see if the heater in the O2 sensor has failed fairly quickly. Unplug the sensor from the wiring harness. With an ohm meter measure the resistance across the 2 white wires. It should measure almost a short and most likely under 1 ohm. If you get no reading or high resistance the heater circuit has indeed failed and you need a new O2 sensor. If it reads almost a short the sensor is not at fault and there's a problem in the wiring harness."

I have a multimeter, but just wanted to check it was the same test in the Rav4.

So... have I checked things correctly, and if it is that sensor, does anyone have any recommendations of where to get the part for the best price (presumably I can get the part number off the sensor)?

Thanks very much for your help...

post-100271-0-90133000-1310074692_thumb.

post-100271-0-66309500-1310074706_thumb.

Hiya mate,

You could take a search on eBay as I've seen some genuine Toyota ones for sale on there in the past...

Item number: 300569837752... £120 Gen Mr T part (Which I bet is Denso part)

Item number: 330428725158... Denso £86.86

Item number: 270600453848... NGK £53.56

(NGK Oxygen O2 Lambda Sensor Toyota RAV 4 2.0 08.96->07)

Item number: 250745648826... £17.99

Or drop member Kingo a line and see what he can do. Thats another free Golf ball you owe me Mr Kingo! :drool::toast::yes:

• Like 1

I would conclude the same from your diagnosis and change the RH sensor. The manifold has a twist in it as it would normally be the other (LH).

See Fig 6 here;

4.3 oxygen sensor location.pdf

• Like 1

Thats another free Golf ball you owe me Mr Kingo!

I only get my balls out when a sale occurs :naughty:

A visit to Castle Stewart as opposed to castle Douglas, will potentially reward you with nice new balls if you can run quick enough after nicking them from the fairways/links where the Scottish open is being played the noo.

And to bring back to topic, you'll enjoy lots of fresh oxygen :thumbsup:

Lol... I can't wait :jawdrop::Jumpy: :lol2:

I picked this up from a Toyota forum regarding testing the heater circuit:

"You can check to see if the heater in the O2 sensor has failed fairly quickly. Unplug the sensor from the wiring harness. With an ohm meter measure the resistance across the 2 white wires. It should measure almost a short and most likely under 1 ohm. If you get no reading or high resistance the heater circuit has indeed failed and you need a new O2 sensor. If it reads almost a short the sensor is not at fault and there's a problem in the wiring harness."

I have a multimeter, but just wanted to check it was the same test in the Rav4.

I thought it should be about 15 ohms? There have been threads on here in the past talking about using a chunky 15 ohm resistor to fool the ecu. Might get the multimeter out tomorrow and measure it.

edit: just had a quick look but could only get the two connectors on the drivers side out without much swearing. The top one was 1.5 ohms and the bottom was 14 ohms. Oh , and the heater wires are black on mine. Now I am confused and will look at the others tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks VERY much for everyone's help, especially Anchorman – your PDF downloads are brilliant!

I'm confident now that I'm looking in the right place, but having phoned Toyota today for a price, I'm hoping you can all point me in the right direction again...

Toyota want £282.02 for the 02 sensor! My wife wants to just leave it, and while I am wondering if there will really be any damage to the engine, I did have a look at other options. Universal sensors seem to be out, but has anybody had any experience with these please:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_RAV-4_2.0_2003/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhausts/lambda-sensor/?710770415&1&728acc280393975da3fc904cff89d5eca78116fe&LAMS

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_RAV-4_2.0_2003/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhausts/lambda-sensor/?710828890&1&a91eee9bda3170fc2f1bb4972f2decd05e002b93&LAMS

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_RAV-4_2.0_2003/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhausts/lambda-sensor/?710825805&1&1e79f8664d7c343ff4a566f6461bab9547d18d33&LAMS

(The Bosch ones are cheaper... is there any reason I should get Denso? Looking at the info, there's a universal Bosch one at £80.40 – presumably this is one to avoid? Or there's a Bosch below that at £92.40, but they only do the LH one (which is what I need, assuming it means as you sit in the vehicle, not look at the engine bay). The Denso LH Pre Cat is £106.80.)

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mr2.htm

(Looks like I'd need part number 250-54007 – there seems to be one part for all the sensors, but this isn't a universal one, is it?! RAV4 is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/partsearch/az2.asp?manu=Toyota&model=RAV4

(These seem much better for price, but are they too good to be true?)

Or of course, is there somewhere else I should be looking... for what seems to be a common failure point, I'm guessing there are a fair few people on here who can recommend a store.

Cheers...

O2 sensors are a bit of a nightmare. I know of several that just run with the orange light on and they seem to pass MOTs OK. Where some owners have tried cheap aftermarket universal ones it has been unsuccessful so they seem to have to be the more upmarket ones.

Can somebody who has been through the process advise please?

• Like 1

I've never had any problems with eurocarparts their stock seems to be quite good.

If that's any help to you.

• Like 1

Thanks all... I'm erring towards the Denso from Euro Car Parts – am I right in thinking that this will just be the same as the Toyota original part, and give me no toruble?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_RAV-4_2.0_2003/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhausts/lambda-sensor/?710825805&1&1e79f8664d7c343ff4a566f6461bab9547d18d33&LAMS

Thanks all... I'm erring towards the Denso from Euro Car Parts – am I right in thinking that this will just be the same as the Toyota original part, and give me no toruble?

http://www.eurocarpa...9547d18d33

I recon it will be an all mate. Got to be cheaper than one which comes in a Toyota box. I bet if you called them and did a bit of haggeling you'd get that a little cheaper.

Just ordered the Denso sensor from Euro Car Parts, so I'll post up how it goes when it's here. Going to just fit it, and not tell the wife as she can't really afford the cost. "Oooh look, it must have sorted itself".

I checked the two black wires with my multimeter and got an open circuit. The R/H sensor came up with about 2 Ohms.

After a long search on t'internet I found out that putting "july25" in gave me 25% off! Got it with free delivery for £80.10. I think they always do offers, but finding a current one was tricky - thanks to the Sports Boat and RIB Forum!

• 2 weeks later...

It worked... I got a Denso left-hand (as you sit in the vehicle) pre-cat lambda sensor from Euro Car parts, fitted it, cleared the codes... no more problems. Thanks everyone for your help.

It was a little more complex than I'd hoped - ECP sent me a package with a torn open box, an open bag, and inside was a RIGHT hand sensor. I took it back to my local store who changed it quite happily, although this was made more complicated by me having got a whopping 25% off online. Still... they exchanged it, I got what I paid for – a new LEFT hand sensor (can't help thinking somebody had pulled a fast one sending back the wrong one as the RH ones are £20 cheaper).

As you can see from the attached pics – the new sensor looks exactly the same in the body, but has a slightly longer cable. Anyway, the jist of this is, if you've got a P1135 code on a UK 2003 ish 2.0L Rav 4, a Denso lambda sensor should sort it, and is half the price (less if you get a voucher code) than the Toyota part.

Thanks again to you all,

cheers...

post-100271-0-61642900-1311984265_thumb.

post-100271-0-61148400-1311984282_thumb.