Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back Door Check Strap

Cmar-Ireland

Hey Folks,

This will probably sound a bit strange to you, considering ye prefer the door to open to 90°

On my Irish spec Rav4 the rear door opens fully out to 90°. This is great for loading, but it's a concern that if the door swung open to far, that the edge of the tail lights can damage or dent the door.

I have seen several Rav4s over here with dents in that area that are caused but this.

Here's an example... You can see the door was over extended so the light and bodywork below the light put a dent in the door.

rav4j.jpg

So what I'd like to do is modify the existing check strap to allow the door to open to 60° but if I need to open it fully for loading then it's easy to do.

Any bright ideas on how to do this?

Cheers

Dear me - the trials and tribulations of owning 5 door RAVs ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, its obviously a problem....perhaps when the check strap becomes loose or stretches. You could add some supplementary rope or string but death by hanging becomes an issue.

Its almost like a looped strap where you can remove a pin to allow it to open further? Or like double glazing windows where you need to release a safety catch before you can throw yer mother-in-law out through the open window. I'd guess it would be easy to make up such a bracket, and fixed to the lower door and floor of the rear of the car but the question is maybe whether the weight of the door would be too heavy for such a contraption.

In the UK 5 door oil-burning RAV owners buy a conversion to open the door wider and I have never seen anyone complain about the door opening too wide.... unless they are too embarrased to say !

Try sending a message to Parts King to see what the UK conversion costs, and whether it would fit your car.

Then again, if the car is made for the Irish market, are you sure the door isn't meant to open inwards ? (sorry - couldn't help that - shouldn't be funny with fellow colleagues from Gods own country)

I want to change mine to a 90* one, hate the loading restriction on my rav, can't get anything big in the back. Trust me, you don't want that limited strap on there..

I have the standard UK check strap which is going spare, I took it off my 4.2 to fit the 90° version.

Make me an offer and its yours ?

Phil

20p if it includes the fitting ? :shutit:

The door opens outside the frame. Are you sure that isn't the result of the wind catching the door and straining it?

It's weird that such close neighbours have different version for opening a door! Makes you wonder who makes these decisions blink.gif

I'll have to have a closer look at the door and see if I can come up with a temporary set up to limit the opening. Last thing I want is to dent the door on our new Rav.

Maybe a bit of a hunt around the salvage yards will give me a few ideas.

@Phil, how much would you be looking for your check strap?

Cheers

When I fitted an extended rear door check on my 01 model I found that it still had the check facility at 60degrees as well as at 90

Could that type fit your model,I wonder.

As mentioned above,I bet Kingo has the answer,

Del

When I fitted an extended rear door check on my 01 model I found that it still had the check facility at 60degrees as well as at 90

Could that type fit your model,I wonder.

As mentioned above,I bet Kingo has the answer,

Del

Exactly what i was going to say Del :yes: And i seem to remember Anchs saying the Std 4.3 check strap fitted to a 4.2 gives 80dgr opening which would seem to be the ideal solution if Anchs can confirm this :thumbsup: Stew

The 90° check strap fitted to my Rav4 has a 60° notch, but I don't think it's enough to hold the door.

I would be interested to know more about a 4.3 strap fitted to the 4.2, definitely sounds like an ideal solution.

It does go to about 70-80 degrees. You have to swap the anchor plate from the 4.2 strap to the 4.3 but it is easy.

Any pics of the 4.3 strap on the 4.2 anchorman?

OK, courtesy Wollaston, here are the pics of the 4.3 strap fitted to the 4.2 - i.e. how far the door opens;

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

Looks like a great solution. Any ideas on how to get one?

You could ask on the forum if anyone will let go of an old 4.3 strap they have replaced.

Just posted a wanted ad anchorman, is it okay to mention the ad in this forum?

I guess its already done!

Anybody got an old one?

I might do. it depends if the insurance company write the car off and whether I keep it or not. My XT4 has a 90deg one on it now. if the car goes i will want that back so will need to put the 60deg back on. If i keep the car, then yes, it will be available.

Weblers

@Weblers: I'm looking for a 4.3 check strap, not the 60deg 4.2 version.

@Weblers: I'm looking for a 4.3 check strap, not the 60deg 4.2 version.

It's a 4.3 I have just knackered the engine in. I have both check straps (60deg and 90deg). If they write off the car but I keep it I will keep the 90deg strap in which case you can have the 60deg one. If I don't keep the car you can have either of them as I could swap it before they take the car.

Make sense?

So does the 60deg 4.3 strap open to 70-80deg when modded to fit the 4.2 ?

Okay, so I was in a nearby car dismantlers today and I picked up a 90deg opening 4.3 check strap.

43checkstrap.jpg

So now I'm looking for a straight swap for a standard opening 4.3 check strap from one of you guys on here.

No cost, except postage.

You post me your standard opening strap and I'll send you on this 90deg one.

Then I can use the standard 4.3 with my own 4.2 back plate and have the 80deg opening on my 4.2.

yahoo.gif

Anyone up for a trade ?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, An update to this thread.

I fitted a standard (UK spec) 4.3 check strap to my 4.2 the other day.

The mount for the body side is different, so it needed to be swapped across.

The 4.2 mount is just held on with a pin, so can easily be tapped out.

The 4.3 is riveted, so it needs to be drilled out.

The result is that the rear door opens to about 80deg.

Very easy mod and I'm delighted with the result.

New check strap fitted.

img1831vo.jpg

Fully opened.

img1832qi.jpg

Fully opened

img1834ar.jpg

Thanks to Anchorman for the info on using the 4.3 check strap and thanks to Vicegrips for swapping his standard strap for the extended one I had.

I could not survive with tha Rav without the check strap. Makes a massive difference to the door and access. Just parking on a slope head first proves a challenge or guillotined fingers 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links