Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Dust

L22KMD

Is it just me or does the rear discs on the auris chuck out loads of dust,done 15 miles between washes and rear wheels were black,are the discs made of coal or similar..........

Yep it's totally normal. Brakes are nowadays made of environment-friendly materials so they are providing lots of dust in the beginning. Buy some aftermarket, harder brake pads if you want to get rid of it. For example "Yellow stuff" from company called "EBC"

If you see brake dust on your wheels it means your brakes are doin the job :thumbsup:

Mine is the same but only the front im using Mintex now but the OEM pads gave alot of brake dust

Rear pads do little braking so I dont understand why your wheels are getting coated.

Get your brakes cleaned at a garage they have a special liquid and air pressure to clean brakes your brakes may just need a clean.

mine are the same,much more dust from the rear than the front,just as bad after toyota cleaned them up and fitted new pads to cure the brake squeak

It may be down to corrosion; The rear discs are generally under much less stress than the fronts and the corrosion doesn't get cleared as well - I often see front discs shiny as anything but rear discs tend to have a fine patina of rust which creates a lot more dust when the brake callipers actually clamp down on it.

This gets worn but also increases the wear rate on the pads so you get extra dust from the brake pad and the rust!

I noticed this from day one... have done 12K in 15 months and my fronts (the inside part of wheel) are like new, no brake dust at all. Rears are like fronts "should" be and accumulate black brake dust within 10's of miles.

I can only conclude that it is either down to materials or that with modern electronic braking and sensor ability that the rears actually do work harder and are pushed to the limits of braking vs traction rellying on the sensor to prevent trouble although tyre wear is non existant on the rears so that maybe doesn't hold water.

I have just had my Auris for 5 months and keep it clean regularly. And I am astonished at the quantity of brake dust on the rears.

I concluded that the pads must be of a different material. Although I am seriously considering fitting Green Stuff pads ( known for the low dust) I am also concerned that this act may nullify my Warranty in that area.

Anyone with experience of this? I guess T will use any excuse to avoid warranty jobs.

My rearview mirror was loose in it's holder on the windscreen and I asked T to fix under warranty. they said that the previous owner must have replaced the windscreen with a non-Toyota one and hence they could not perform this work under waranty.

Krait

The problem with better compound pads is that they are designed to work at higher temps, so they need to be warm before they work properly.

If you need to slam on the brakes on a short journey, they may not work as well as expected and you might not stop in time. I'd rather clean the wheels more often than deal with an accident.

Me too. Never experienced such a lot of black brake dust on the rear wheels even after a short journey. Must be leaving a cloud of black dust behind me! Hope that it does not mean they will need replacing frequently as they seem to be on a self destruct mission. Dread to think how long they will last.

This is an issue with ALL brake pads, no matter the make, or the car they are fitted to. Since the removal of Asbestos from their construction they fade faster and eat themselves quicker. It would seem health of those around you are more important than the paint on the wheels?! ;)

I also have the same "problem".

I don't know if it has any relationship with the fact that the front discs are ventilated and the rear aren't.

I have seen this on old cars, but with new pads, so I too believe that the problem is in the pads material.

i also have the same heavy dust build up on the rear wheels, it went into toyota for some warranty parts and they told me its a different compound they use compared to the fronts, but they still cant feel the rear brakes juddering so got to go back yet again

i also have the same heavy dust build up on the rear wheels, it went into toyota for some warranty parts and they told me its a different compound they use compared to the fronts, but they still cant feel the rear brakes juddering so got to go back yet again

This is obviously to do with brake distribution/efficiency, different compounds front and rear, i have the same on my Auris,nothing to do with vented discs or not, the calipers are just clamps that exert pressure on the disc/rotor,probably 60% front,40% rear, deal with it, do you think you know better than Toyota designers and engineers.

BTW. have you ever been behind someone going down a steep hill and they hit the brakes 2 miles before they need to, when they get to the bottom they have no brakes because they are red hot, these are the dopes who go into main dealers and complain about design and poor quality, i have seen them all and it still amazes me how thick some of them are.

This is obviously to do with brake distribution/efficiency, different compounds front and rear, i have the same on my Auris,nothing to do with vented discs or not, the calipers are just clamps that exert pressure on the disc/rotor,probably 60% front,40% rear, deal with it, do you think you know better than Toyota designers and engineers.

BTW. have you ever been behind someone going down a steep hill and they hit the brakes 2 miles before they need to, when they get to the bottom they have no brakes because they are red hot, these are the dopes who go into main dealers and complain about design and poor quality, i have seen them all and it still amazes me how thick some of them are.

Negative post, did SRsmithy say something earlier that I missed? Bear in mind that the majority of people who drive are not mechanically minded, and the first port of call for some is the dealer.

At no point did smithy say he was smarter and knew better than the dealer, brake juddering is a serious issue and is not normally poor distribution on the brakes as that would cause the car to pull and not judder. most likely a worn pad or warped disk - best to get a mechanic to look it over and offer their opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brake dust is one of the 228 items on the survey J. D. Power sent to consumers. It was added in 2006 after years of having consumers write in “brake dust” as a quality concern.“Increasingly people were bringing it up,” said David Sargent, vice president for automotive research at J. D. Power, who added that brake dust is given the same weight as more serious, mechanical malfunctions.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

This issue is observed on both Auris and the same Corolla model for other markets. The isssue is caused by the rear brake calipers. There is some defect in the caliper which is causing this abnormal use of the brake pads. Mine had the same issue, it had literally eated the rear pads for 15K miles and the front pads were still like new. I had the same situation, a lot of black deposit on the rear alloy wheels. After changing the rear calipers completely, the issue is gone. Now after washing the car, and 100 miles of city driving, the rear wheels look clean while the front start to have little black dust. It is not normal for any car to use the rear brakes more than the front. I believe you should address this issue to your Toyota dealer. Mine was fixed under warranty..

Regards,

George

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links