Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Engine Noise Under Acceleration

davidcharman

My 56 2.2 D4D Rav4 has recently developed a noise when accelerating. It seems to be when the turbo is working(2000 to 3000rpm) the noise dissapears when the revs are above 4000rpm. The noise is a mix of loud diesel rattle and a lighter chattering. I have checked the wastegate which opens when reved and I am going to check all the turbo to manifold piping. Has anyone else experienced this kind of noise? The car has done 80 000 mile and performance is normal no loss of power.

Thanks

David

Welcome to the club David.

Take it into Toyota and let them listen. You may well get an engine FOC if there is something fundamentally wrong as they are doing a rework campaign at the moment.

My 56 2.2 D4D Rav4 has recently developed a noise when accelerating. It seems to be when the turbo is working(2000 to 3000rpm) the noise dissapears when the revs are above 4000rpm. The noise is a mix of loud diesel rattle and a lighter chattering. I have checked the wastegate which opens when reved and I am going to check all the turbo to manifold piping. Has anyone else experienced this kind of noise? The car has done 80 000 mile and performance is normal no loss of power.

Thanks

David

I have noticed this on My car over the last couple of days !! But Im not sure if its that rasp that comes from the exhaust.... Its only there if the engine revs are low and I accelerate with the engine under load ....... My car is at 44.000 miles and also has no loss of power. In fact it goes very well ... :unsure:

Charlie.

I think you might be experiencing the noise from this thread

Thanks for the replies, I couldn't find anything yesterday so have ordered a new auxillary belt and will fit at the weekend. My noise sounds exactly like the other thread, I will remove and check the pipes if the belt fails to silence it and if not book a test drive with my local dealer.

I fitted a new belt Monday evening and the noise has gone, have run the car all week and still no noise. So fingers crossed it's fixed!!