Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn Question

Lorna2

Hi everyone! This is my first time to post here but I have been reading here before out of general interest.

I have a lovely 2008 Yaris TR. It has recently developed a little problem. On 2 separate occasions the horn did not work. The 2 days were both hot days but I had the window open instead of having the air-con on, so the air-con is not the cause. No warning lights appeared on the screen and no other problems. I did not have any headlights/sidelights on, I had no radio on either. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause? How long would it take to fix such a problem? I would be going to a main dealership. (Its a bit annoying when you want to give some idiot a good blast of the horn). The MOT will be due next year and I have heard a car can be failed if the horn doesn't work on the day. So if I leave it I risk failing MOT next August. I've never taken a car to MOT before, but I'm keeping my Yaris as I love it.

I look forward to hearing from some of you soon!

Check the connections to the horn. they are exposed to water and can corrode and fail to make good contact.

Had that on a Mark1.. Cleaned connections with emery cloth and used electrical grease to keep watertight.

Hi Michael

Thanks very much for your reply. I've a few questions for you now! How do the connections get exposed to water? What part of the car does the water get in? Obviously somewhere around the front, I know that much. Is it rain that gets in or when I wash it? Would they see that when they service the car? Is it something they look at for the big service at 3 years old? I know you fixed it on your Mark 1 but I wouldn't be doing anything like that,do you have any idea if something like that would cost to fix in the dealership?

The water comes through the radiator grille and into the cable connectors which attach the horn to the wiring loom. Solution: disconnect and clean. Time : 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.