Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tomtom Satnav

DFC

Have just bought a YARIS TSpirit.

Am being annoyed by voice messages from the SatNav on local journeys. How do you switch the SatNav off without also switching off thge radio?

Have just bought a YARIS TSpirit.

Am being annoyed by voice messages from the SatNav on local journeys. How do you switch the SatNav off without also switching off thge radio?

You can either switch off the voice instructions (change preferences menu) or if you are not actually using the Tomtom you can move two screens to the right by clicking on the blue arrow on the main screen and killing off any selected routes. Toggling between the Tomtom screen and the radio screen is done by pressing in the volume knob.

Hope this helps

Good morning DFC. I wish I knew!!!! There's times when it is really clever and times when I would like to throw it out of the window. Could always turn down sat-nav volume. Only had car 2 months and 1000 miles so not used to sat-nav yet I suppose. We bought the T Spirit as well. 1.33 petrol as we only do low mileage now. MMT version. Had one in Spain but diesel. Petrol is smoother and quieter. Average MPG about 50. Chose MMT so my wife could drive again. She can drive manuals but prefers autos. There is a blanking plate for when you take sat-nav from car when parked. About £17.00 from Toyota dealer. Not quite so obvious something has been removed.

Regards, Pete.

Good morning Newsboy. Thanks for that.

Regards, Pete.

Many thanks Newsboy. Solves the problem. Go to main screen 3 of 3 and "clear route". No need to turn off voice and then a toggle to the radio screen turns off TomTom for both sound and vision. Exactly what I wanted.

Many thanks Pete. Have the manual T Spirit with 1.33 petrol and after one week with only 250 miles on the clock is doing 47.6 mpg but improving all the time. Thanks for the tip about the blanking plate - must try to get one. We didn't like the all-black interior so the garage suggested we get the seats re-upholstered in beige leather to match the internal door trim. We took a flyer as there were no examples or photos to see and its worked out beautifully. They did the door panels above the door trim (arm rests) too so the inside is much lighter and well worth the extra expense.

Regards DFC

be aware that you can also download and install a "silent" tomtom voice for when you want a tomtom navigation route to view on the screen but don't want it reading out the directions aloud.

I actually have that as my default voice - that way, I still get speed camera alert sounds but don't have to suffer the street by street navigation directions....

There is no need to download a "silent voice" although frankly I have never come across this. Just turn off the voice via the Tomtom preferences screen and you can have visual instructions without the sound and still move between the TT screen and the radio screen. However if the TT voice is turned off it also turns off the strange mechanical voice that provides traffic information from the RDS TMC traffic receiver. Info will still appear on the side bar however if you have a route selected so it is necessary to keep an eye on it.

I found the traffic information side really does work well and got loads of warnings when approaching a jammed up M25 recently even though the overhead gantries were completely blank. Once or twice in Europe I did get spurious warnings of problems over 100 miles ahead which promptly disappeared from the screen 20 minutes or so later.

Like all these things it needs using with a bit of caution and common sense!

if you "switch off" the voice, you lose the speed camera alerts too if you have them installed and configured.

If you install the silent voice, you can still hear the speed camera alters, even though you're not bothered by the turn instructions.....

if you "switch off" the voice, you lose the speed camera alerts too if you have them installed and configured.

If you install the silent voice, you can still hear the speed camera alters, even though you're not bothered by the turn instructions.....

Your car must be different from mine! I have the voice switched off and the speed camera alerts are still working.

Your car must be different from mine! I have the voice switched off and the speed camera alerts are still working.

Please accept my apologies. I have just checked my Yaris and you are right, the warning tone for speed cameras does disappear with the voice switched off.

Could you please advise on how to get the "silent" voice and how to use it?

Again my apologies.