Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Renew Toyota Warranty?

Lorna2

Hi

Did anyone bother to take out the renewal offer of a warranty from Toyota? Is it worth it? I'm a little bit tempted to avoid paying out more IF the car needed repairs, BUT I feel I would be wasting my money buying the warranty. Any opinions welcome...

You're probably better off putting the money in an ISA/savings account :)

The problem with the warranty is there is a lot of stuff it doesn't cover, you are forced to use dealers for everything or risk voiding the warranty and IIRC it's quite expensive for what it does cover :unsure:

I suppose if you can get it at a reasonable cost it might be worth it...

Hi Cyker

Its a bit on the dear side at £297. Then for those who do high mileage its £337.50. Those prices are for paying by direct debit, its more if you pay without direct debit, as for most things now.

I did that for pet insurance too, put it in a savings account. Pet plan wanted around £300 to cover my shih tzu :eek: , other cheaper policies didn't offer the full cover that would be wanted. I got it for a couple of years after he got bladder stones, but not any more. I asked the vet how much would be a reasonable amount to have put past and he said around £300 or so. The decision was made!

Think I'll do the same for the warranty. I wouldn't trust some other warranty company,if I was getting it I would just get it from Toyota. But I'll keep the money saved instead. They might end up getting it off me anyway if I get another Yaris/IQ :)

I would always go to the dealer anyway for work, its hard to find someone to trust. I've come across some idiots in independant 'repair garages' so sticking to dealership.

.....(not expecting to have to use the warranty cover anyway...)

Lorna - obviously the choice is yours whether to do the extended warranty or put the cash in an ISA.

Word of warning - if you do an extended warranty, do it with Toyota, not an outside warranty company.

Toyota extended warranty is exactly that, an extention of the existing warranty and I believe the same items are covered.

An outside company is an insurance which will only pay out (if they pay out at all) a-after you have paid the bill for the repair or b-if the item has actually broken rather than simply faulty.

Kingo is the guy to talk to about the warranty...

T

The extended warranty is just that, an extension of the original warranty

Plus points:

Backed by Toyota

Covers most items (but not wear and tear) its very comprehensive

You dont have to pay for a repair and claim it back

Claims have no stupid claim limits like off the peg policies, which often only cover you for claims up to say £500-£1000

Against points

More expensive than off the peg warranty

Not sure there are any more? You must have the car serviced but you would anyway wouldnt you?

Please DO NOT go and buy an off the peg warranty without reading the small print, particularly in regards to number of claims and claim limits, plus how are repairs handled? With this type of warranty a part MUST fail, unexpectedly and without warning, for instance, a noisy wheel bearing would NOT be covered with an off the peg warranty

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't trust an off the peg warranty from some warranty place, I would only go to the manufactuer. I heard all about those off the peg warranty places ripping people off, not listening to the dealership, and insisting that their own staff have to look at the car etc.They would use any cheap part they could get their hands on instead of good toyota parts.The off the peg warranties are a waste of money.

Kingo, I totally agree with your plus points. The only thing stopping me is the cost I suppose, as its not up to just me. I'm hoping to get a job soon so would take it out then. Its only more expensive because you get what you pay for.

Does it have to be taken out as soon as the manufacturer's warranty runs out or could I take it out later, say maybe in a few months time? Does it matter if there is a lapse? I always get my car serviced at my local Toyota. I actually took out a service plan, which I found to be good value.

I got a puncture one time and went to an independant tyre fitter,(BIG MISTAKE) I asked for a good tyre so the man suggested his budget tyre. I refused it so he put on another one. He didn't even bother to balance the wheels. Only went to that dump because I was stuck. Got my next tyre from Toyota. Got wipers there too.

The extended warranty can be taken out anytime up to 7 years or 100,000 miles whichever is the sooner. You are right, you do get what you pay for

Cheers

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo

Thanks very much for your reply. Its good to know I can take the warranty out anytime, might get it later.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links