Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Engine In A 2006 Rav - Good Idea?

webleymk3

Following the debacle of my flooded engine, i have sourced a 2009 Rav 4 diesel engine.. very low milage, she's an absolute beaut. And as it's a 2009 I won't have any problems similar to the one WeeCharlie has just had as it's the new revision.. right???

So, is there anything else i need to think about if i were to fit a 2009 engine into a 2006 Rav? Would the ECU need to be reprogrammed? Also, is the 2009 engine more powerful??

Thanks,

Weblers

Is it the same cc IE 2.2 or 2.0 ?? I would consider putting an auto box in My car if it were practical but it just is not... An engine swap is an altogether much easier proposition.. If You car had a 2.2 in it then another 2.2 would be easy enough !! There might be ECU differences and likely a fair few other odds and sodds But if You can get other parts from the same source then it should be simple enough....

More info Mate ????

Wee Charlie.

It's the 2.2 diesel...

RAV4 2006> 2.2TD D-4D ( ) 11/05> ALA30 2ADFTV/2ADFHV

I'm just wondering what other odds and sodds i might need. that said, the boy has offered to fit it so hopefully there won't be any. I am thoughtful about the ECU though and whether it would need flashed.

AND...

Any of you folk in Scotlandshire (Big Kev???) got the facilities to fit an engine???

No I haven't Mate If You are putting a 2.2 in where a 2.2 was before them Your problems will be minor I would think.. Do You have acess to parts from the donor vehicle ?? Mate it has to be a Post 2009 engine for it to be outside of the piston problem situation I would be taking the engine number and making sure its not one of the affected ones or it could be a mistake ...

What is the history of the engine ?? Mileage ? Why is it available ?? Is it from a wreck ?? Are other parts available ??

If parts are available from the Donor car I need a couple of minor interior trim items !!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

AND...

Any of you folk in Scotlandshire (Big Kev???) got the facilities to fit an engine???

I have been watching your saga unfold and thinking "There but by the grace........." - very relieved that you managed to find an engine. Bothy ( Bothwell Buyer ) has a tame garage that seems to have no problems doing engine transplants on RAVs. Might be worth a PM to him.

No I haven't Mate If You are putting a 2.2 in where a 2.2 was before them Your problems will be minor I would think.. Do You have acess to parts from the donor vehicle ?? Mate it has to be a Post 2009 engine for it to be outside of the piston problem situation I would be taking the engine number and making sure its not one of the affected ones or it could be a mistake ...

What is the history of the engine ?? Mileage ? Why is it available ?? Is it from a wreck ?? Are other parts available ??

If parts are available from the Donor car I need a couple of minor interior trim items !!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

We're gonna get the engine number an have a word with Mr T. See I he can let us know.

As for history all I currently know is it's low mileage and in perfect working order. Donor car was in a rear end shunt. I assume chassis damage for it to be a write off.

What do you need. I'll ask the lad if he can throw them in for me..

Weblers

AND...

I have been watching your saga unfold and thinking "There but by the grace........." - very relieved that you managed to find an engine. Bothy ( Bothwell Buyer ) has a tame garage that seems to have no problems doing engine transplants on RAVs. Might be worth a PM to him.

Thanks mate. I'll give him a shout.

Show me a photo of the new engine taken showing the inlet manifold side (the right side looking from the pulley end). I will tell you if it is the 150 engine.

Show me a photo of the new engine taken showing the inlet manifold side (the right side looking from the pulley end). I will tell you if it is the 150 engine.

Hey Anchs. It's this one here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-2-TD-2006-TOYOTA-RAV-4-2ADFTV-ENGINE-8-000-MILES-ONLY-/280705506888?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415b5a1e48#ht_718wt_1141

The boy is holding it for us until the insurance confirm the write off. Does this show you what you need to know??

Thanks

Weblers

Hey Anchs. It's this one here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-2-TD-2006-TOYOTA-RAV-4-2ADFTV-ENGINE-8-000-MILES-ONLY-/280705506888?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415b5a1e48#ht_718wt_1141

The boy is holding it for us until the insurance confirm the write off. Does this show you what you need to know??

Thanks

Weblers

I'm confused .... The Guy is running a business ?? The engine is on a buy it mow so must be available ??? Plus the engine has been removed so how come He is waiting for confirmation that the car is to be written off ???

Sorry but unless I am misunderstanding something I smell a wee rat !! Also 8,000 miles on an 06 motor ??? If matey is prone to telling porkie pies then Mate please take care !!

eBay is renowned for sellers giving misinformation I genuinely hope this is not the case but How many sellers remove an engine and offer it for sale on a buy it now if the vehicle has not been cleared by the Insurance company ?? Perhaps He would pop it back in again ??

Page 1 off His feedback is not exactly glowing !! He operates out of Birmingham and obviously breaks cars for a living ???...

Take very good care Mate I would not want to see You getting ripped !!

Wee Charlie.

Thanks

Weblers

I'm confused .... The Guy is running a business ?? The engine is on a buy it mow so must be available ??? Plus the engine has been removed so how come He is waiting for confirmation that the car is to be written off ???

Sorry but unless I am misunderstanding something I smell a wee rat !! Also 8,000 miles on an 06 motor ??? If matey is prone to telling porkie pies then Mate please take care !!

eBay is renowned for sellers giving misinformation I genuinely hope this is not the case but How many sellers remove an engine and offer it for sale on a buy it now if the vehicle has not been cleared by the Insurance company ?? Perhaps He would pop it back in again ??

Page 1 off His feedback is not exactly glowing !! He operates out of Birmingham and obviously breaks cars for a living ???...

Take very good care Mate I would not want to see You getting ripped !!

Wee Charlie.

Charlie.. Wrong of stick! He has agreed to hold the engine until our car is confirmed written off. I've tasked my dad with researching it and is feeling comfortable about it. Re mileage, it's a 2009 engine, not 2006. The ad is meant to read that it's for a rav 4 2006 onwards..

Either way, we're getting the serial number of it to check it out wi Mr T....

Agreed tho.. I don't want to get ripped either!

Web

Sorry Mate I found Your post a bit confusing... Beware of those Birmingham breakers though !! Mate I'm up and down to the Midlands on an almost weekly basis and would go take look at that engine for You if I can and if You want Me too ??

Not being pessimistic but breakers have been known to shall We say not always be scrupulously honest...

Either way I hope its good un and You gets Your car fixed soon .... :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

It is not a 150 engine. Ask for the VIN No while we see when exactly it was produced.

On a positive note, it would drop straight in.

Ask shcm if the electronics need reprograming. You might need the EDU to drive the injectors and the ECU to drive the EDU!

Same as Charlie, no facility to replace engines (is that the bit at the front with no spark plugs...?) but would agree that Bothy's garage in Wishaw 100% kosher when it comes to this. Good luck, Webs....hope it works out.

Big Kev

Sorry Mate I found Your post a bit confusing... Beware of those Birmingham breakers though !! Mate I'm up and down to the Midlands on an almost weekly basis and would go take look at that engine for You if I can and if You want Me too ??

Not being pessimistic but breakers have been known to shall We say not always be scrupulously honest...

Either way I hope its good un and You gets Your car fixed soon .... :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Cheers mate. if you'd be happy to take a look i'd be hugely grateful.... When you next heading down?

It is not a 150 engine. Ask for the VIN No while we see when exactly it was produced.

On a positive note, it would drop straight in.

Ask shcm if the electronics need reprograming. You might need the EDU to drive the injectors and the ECU to drive the EDU!

Noted. that changes things because if that engine developed the piston fault i wouldn't be covered by the 7 year warranty I believe... anyone know differently??

Same as Charlie, no facility to replace engines (is that the bit at the front with no spark plugs...?) but would agree that Bothy's garage in Wishaw 100% kosher when it comes to this. Good luck, Webs....hope it works out.

Big Kev

Cheers Kev....

Been speaking with Bothy already....

Elephant Car Insurance got a serious ear bashing from me today... Toyota have now been instructed to strip down and send in a valuation for fixing it... could be the end of the week by the time i hear...

In the mean time, just come across a sweet little T180 at a very good price.... hmmmmmm......

Mate a week Tomorrow I will be heading south again and returning just two days later on the Thursday ... :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links