Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Rav4 - Potential Problem?

peachy0685

Hi,

My girlfriend is looking to buy a 2002 Rav 4 and we've seen one not too far away for a decent price. We took it for a test drive today and there seemed to be a sort of whirring/grinding noise when it was in gear. When the clutch was down the noise went away. I guess this would point to transmission? The dealer selling it has said that he'll get it fixed before selling the car, but my question is do you think it would be dodgy buying it? Would this noise indicate that there could be bigger problems in the future?

According to this site here it would appear that there has been a history of issues with the transmission on rav 4's of this year. Anyone else had any issues?

Any thoughts would be interested.

Thanks

I have an 02 rav4 and its a great little car. Im not sure of the noise, everyone's opinion on what a noise sounds like differs so my 'whirring' is probably different to yours, for example my car make a whirring noise as it accelerates but that perfectly normal.

Obviously all cars vary, so my car might be ok and another of the same year could be a wreck, use your discretion, if you think its a problem either look elsewhere or make sure they look into it.

In my opinion i would recommend a 02 rav to anyone, absolutely love it! built nice and solid, fairly good on fuel, not the fastest in the world but thats not important, tax bracket a little high but mechanically its sound, the only ive had go wrong so far is the slider on the rear brake caliper breaking which resulted in a 'clicking' noise when the wheel rotated, cost me 10mins and 50p to fix it :)

Could not agree further with Mystic, and it could be something as simple as the clutch thrust bearing being a bit rattly, which quietens when you depress clutch....could go on like that for ages on an otherwise solid clutch/transmission assembly.

Big Kev :unsure:

Had a look at that website based over the pond and the complaints seem to be about auto petrol models not the manual that you test drove . Can't recall seeing any on here but do a search on this forum. Petrol or diesel? And welcome to the forum btw.

One word.......Walk.....

We have no information ?? Engine type and size... Mileage ,, Price .. ect ect .... :rolleyes:

Oops, I guess I probably should have put more details about :yes: Sorry about that.

Thanks for your replies anyway, we didn't go for that one in the end, we had seen another which was spotless as far as I could see.

Pick it up on Saturday... we can't wait :yahoo:

Could not agree further with Mystic, and it could be something as simple as the clutch thrust bearing being a bit rattly, which quietens when you depress clutch....could go on like that for ages on an otherwise solid clutch/transmission assembly.

Big Kev :unsure:

Agreed. my ex ( :crybaby: ) Rav 4.3 had a noisy clutch bearing when the clutch was up and out of gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links