Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Engine, '01 2.0L Gas Engine, Anything I Should Change Wh

BigTom209

Bought my first Toyota a '01 Rav4 2.0L gas with standard transmission, 200K kms or about 120,000miles, the engine was blown so got it cheap and sourced a replacement motor from a local wrecker with only 150K kms on it. I got the old motor and subframe etc all out and sitting on the floor in the shop and I noticed the clutch was getting pretty low, previous owner said it works fine but while it's out might as well replace it. This got me thinking, is there more I should replace while the engine is out? I guess these engines have timing chains so likely not a problem there, water pump I'm not sure if they are prone to failures or not or how difficult it is to replace later on if it fails?

Any information would be appreciated what I should consider replacing while I have the engine out.

Thanks

Bought my first Toyota a '01 Rav4 2.0L gas with standard transmission, 200K kms or about 120,000miles, the engine was blown so got it cheap and sourced a replacement motor from a local wrecker with only 150K kms on it. I got the old motor and subframe etc all out and sitting on the floor in the shop and I noticed the clutch was getting pretty low, previous owner said it works fine but while it's out might as well replace it. This got me thinking, is there more I should replace while the engine is out? I guess these engines have timing chains so likely not a problem there, water pump I'm not sure if they are prone to failures or not or how difficult it is to replace later on if it fails?

Any information would be appreciated what I should consider replacing while I have the engine out.

Thanks

Whats the gearbox like? Thats another thing I'd look at while the engine was out as well as the clutch ect :thumbsup:

I'd tend to put a new water pump in. ye - a new clutch. When the engine is out, check the mounts as its a good time/easy time to change them; the gearbox is bomb proof but no harm in emptying it and putting new oil in.

Check the engine bay for any rust. Subframe too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links