Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Its Time For A New Engine....

harleymlb

Having just returned after our summer holiday on the continent with the T180 and the Caravan, I had need to call into the Toyota dealer. During my holiday i noticed that you could smell antifreeze when running th air con. I also checked the expansion bottle and could see that it had "puked" coolant all over the engine bay.

Mr Toyota confirmed to me today that the head gasket has gone and will require a new engine! I thought this was an excessive option instead of replacing the gasket, but i was told that it is a common problem that Toyota now recognise.

They have ordered a brand new engine which comes in a crate to replace the old one.

There is a 6 week back log so hopefully it will be done in September.

Anyone else had this same issue?

Having just returned after our summer holiday on the continent with the T180 and the Caravan, I had need to call into the Toyota dealer. During my holiday i noticed that you could smell antifreeze when running th air con. I also checked the expansion bottle and could see that it had "puked" coolant all over the engine bay.

Mr Toyota confirmed to me today that the head gasket has gone and will require a new engine! I thought this was an excessive option instead of replacing the gasket, but i was told that it is a common problem that Toyota now recognise.

They have ordered a brand new engine which comes in a crate to replace the old one.

Oh yes, they're starting to stack up..................most seem to be down to excessive oil consumption though.

I too am awaiting a new engine.... My one is being replaced because of oil consumption..... Its the bottom half that is replaced though Mate or three quatars as Kingo puts it. Not a full engine ..............

Charlie.

In Toyota terms a 3/4 engine is a fully assembled engine less auxiliary items e.g pumps , sensors,injectors, starter & alternator etc. In the case of the AD engine repair the engines supplied are fully assembled including oil filter, water pump & intake manifold. Toyota have done this to speed up dealership repair times therefore reducing overall labour costs as an example a Rav AD engine rebuild took approx 25-27hrs the swap has reduced this to 12-13hrs.

• Like 1

Yep!!! I've had 2 new engines in my Avnsis T-180 estate! Lots of post by me and others on the subject. :unsure:

In Toyota terms a 3/4 engine is a fully assembled engine less auxiliary items e.g pumps , sensors,injectors, starter & alternator etc. In the case of the AD engine repair the engines supplied are fully assembled including oil filter, water pump & intake manifold. Toyota have done this to speed up dealership repair times therefore reducing overall labour costs as an example a Rav AD engine rebuild took approx 25-27hrs the swap has reduced this to 12-13hrs.

So is the cylinder head already on then ?? Kingo said on the other thread 3/4 engine which I thought meant block and pistons and below ??

What You are saying is completely different ....

Will the engine have a different engine number ?? Or will they re stamp the new one ?? Blimey its all getting a bit confusing !!

Charlie.

So is the cylinder head already on then ?? Kingo said on the other thread 3/4 engine which I thought meant block and pistons and below ??

Will the engine have a different engine number ?? Or will they re stamp the new one ?? Blimey its all getting a bit confusing !!

Charlie.

Yep the head is all fitted & the engine has a new number.

Charlie.

Good info Mate !! Are You sure ?? This is not the impression I got when talking to the Service Manager .... Im probably wrong though !!

So does this Mean We have to get the logbook or V5 altered ??

Thanks !!!

Charlie.

Charlie.

Good info Mate !! Are You sure ?? This is not the impression I got when talking to the Service Manager .... Im probably wrong though !!

Thanks !!!

Charlie.

Charlie.

Thanks !!!

Charlie.

Up until 1st July engines where rebuilt as required, now we swap out the faulty unit with a unit with all modifications fitted.

Yes you will need to update V5, when you collect your repaired car the dealer will give you the new number all you need do is update & return the V5 to the DVLA.

According to "Ormi" (Toyota Tech) ((If I understand correctly)) this engine is a recon one done at the factory and the one that is taken out of your car is sent off and gets a recon and then used for another customer. I asked if the engine I had rebuilt (£6500) was any different to the ones that are now sent away? I was told not, but it savs Mr T on labour charges...

It sound like Mr Devon Aygo is a Toyota Tech ????? Either way great info. Thanks Matey !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Oh and the Service Manager said that often the injectors and all kind of stuff is changed at the same time ?? You just cannot fault Toyota and their approach to Warranty and Customer care... I am greatly impressed !!!!

Of course I would have preferred for the fault not to have been there in the first place but at least Toyota are stepping up to the mark and doing a brilliant job of sorting it rather than saying They all burn oil Sir !!!

Charlie.

It sound like Mr Devon Aygo is a Toyota Tech ????? Either way great info. Thanks Matey !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Oh and the Service Manager said that often the injectors and all kind of stuff is changed at the same time ?? You just cannot fault Toyota and their approach to Warranty and Customer care... I am greatly impressed !!!!

Of course I would have preferred for the fault not to have been there in the first place but at least Toyota are stepping up to the mark and doing a brilliant job of sorting it rather than saying They all burn oil Sir !!!

Charlie.

Nope, Warranty administrator

Charlie.

Charlie.

Now you're a handy bloke to know on here! :yahoo::toast::driving:

Charlie.

Charlie.

Ah superb.. Well thanks for Your input !! Local Hero has just put up some pics of His new engine on another thread and it just confirms what You have said !!!

Charlie.

Defo a new head Charlie :thumbsup:

I think We have to take Our hats off to Toyota for the way they are dealing with this issue !!! I have over the Years had literally dozens of cars !!! From . Audi,BMW,Jaguar,Ford, ect ect And have never yet found such great customer care that I have in My short ownership time with Toyota !! My last and only other Toyota was a brand new MR2 Roadster way back on X plate 2002 ???

I know I am repeating Myself here but I really do like this car and now My Jag XF Sits on the drive unloved as I just jump in the Rav all the time !!!

I would definitely buy a new Rav4 if I could get the spec that I have with the T180 And an Auto box but I cant so this one will stay with Us for a long time Me thinks......

My beutifull but now unloved Jaaaaaag...

APRIL2011008.jpg

With all this discussion regarding the replacement engines, i was wondering if the wrong engine could be fitted by mistake?

I would be very upset to find out on collection that my T180 (177BHP) had been fitted with a lower BHP engine from the xt5! :censor:

I assume that this is a completley different engine from my T180?

Any reassurance would be gratefully received. :D

With all this discussion regarding the replacement engines, i was wondering if the wrong engine could be fitted by mistake?

I would be very upset to find out on collection that my T180 (177BHP) had been fitted with a lower BHP engine from the xt5! :censor:

I dont think that Mr T would sting you on replacing a T-180 engine with a lower output one somehow! They have faced these issue head on and it just wouldn't be worth them messing things about :thumbsup:

My sons lexus which im not sure which model,but has according to him 180 bhp diesel engine,so may be the same engine as discussed here has done 80000 + miles has now suddenly started drinking oil.the oil warning came on going around corners,luckly he was near a lexus dealers in Ipswich.and they topped the sump up.they never mentioned anything about engine needing replacement.but told him that the 35 to gallon was norm for the model.

My sons lexus which im not sure which model,but has according to him 180 bhp diesel engine,so may be the same engine as discussed here has done 80000 + miles has now suddenly started drinking oil.the oil warning came on going around corners,luckly he was near a lexus dealers in Ipswich.and they topped the sump up.they never mentioned anything about engine needing replacement.but told him that the 35 to gallon was norm for the model.

Hiya mate,

The Lexus 220d is the same ngin that is in the T-180's that you in in the Toyota range of Rav's/Avensis ect. I think I'd start to think about getting him to take it to th dealer again if it starts drinking oil mate. :thumbsup:

To get the wrong engine in your car the dealership would have to order the wrong engine. The two engines are similar but not interchangeable and as such have different engine codes 2.2 2ad-Ftv - 2.2 180 2ad-Htv , to get it wrong they would also have to change:

Full engine wiring harness, Engine ECU, Injectors, Exhaust system, Injector control unit + numerous other parts

All at a huge cost & totally un-claimable as the Toyota warranty system would not allow such a claim to be submitted, leaving a massive cost to the dealer.

• Like 1

The IS220d has a very similar engine to the 180bhp Toyotas & as such can suffer the same issues:

Excessive oil consumption, more than .6lt in 600 miles.

Overheating, coolant leaking over top of engine, coolant going black, heaters not getting warm

Engine losing power , warning lamps on , car in limp mode

As for mpg the IS220d was geared to be quicker than the Toyota models and does have higher CO2 output & lower MPG as a result, Lexus even offered a Sport model which was geared even quicker.

If your son is suffering any of the issues above then he needs to get in touch with a dealer for a repair under warranty ( extended to 7 years 111946 miles )

• Like 1

The IS220d has a very similar engine to the 180bhp Toyotas & as such can suffer the same issues:

Excessive oil consumption, more than .6lt in 600 miles.

Overheating, coolant leaking over top of engine, coolant going black, heaters not getting warm

Engine losing power , warning lamps on , car in limp mode

As for mpg the IS220d was geared to be quicker than the Toyota models and does have higher CO2 output & lower MPG as a result, Lexus even offered a Sport model which was geared even quicker.

If your son is suffering any of the issues above then he needs to get in touch with a dealer for a repair under warranty ( extended to 7 years 111946 miles )

Hi and thanks for the advice.he purchased the car from Inchcape toyota in Norwich it had done omly a few hundred miles from new.was shipped from Derby.

Now Inchape are closing there Norwich branch,but our local toyota dealer who has a very good name is taking on lexus franchais as well.

next time my sons around to see me i will pass on what you have advised to look out for.thanks again.

HI again.

toyota give the use of 1 ltr of oil in 1000 mile as being excessive oil consumption.

where you have given 6 ltr in 600 mile for the lexus.can this be correct.or is it just a typo.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links