Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180... Maybe

webleymk3

So... whilst my insurance company works out what its going to do with my car, i have been on the hunt for another so that if it gets written off and we decide not to keep it then i have an action plan for buying another car...

Just come across a rather stunning T180 so thought i'd pick the T180 owners' brains out there..

So..

Tyres. How much do you pay for your tyres and where do you get them from? All this back chat about the run flats... is it really as bad as i read?

Fuel consumption. I've read some scarily low numbers on here. so what getting? Our XT4 on a good run we were pushing up towards 44-45mpg. Mrs Webblers is a stickler for it so if the consensus is that it's not good then it'll be a no go.

What else should one think about? Is there anything else that is more expensive and needs to be considered?

Thanks guys (and gals)

So... whilst my insurance company works out what its going to do with my car, i have been on the hunt for another so that if it gets written off and we decide not to keep it then i have an action plan for buying another car...

Just come across a rather stunning T180 so thought i'd pick the T180 owners' brains out there..

So..

Tyres. How much do you pay for your tyres and where do you get them from? All this back chat about the run flats... is it really as bad as i read?

Fuel consumption. I've read some scarily low numbers on here. so what getting? Our XT4 on a good run we were pushing up towards 44-45mpg. Mrs Webblers is a stickler for it so if the consensus is that it's not good then it'll be a no go.

What else should one think about? Is there anything else that is more expensive and needs to be considered?

Thanks guys (and gals)

Mate I can only talk about the T180 as its the only rav I have owned..

Fuel . Well I can run from Burntisland down to Worcester in the Midlands 360 miles on 55 quids worth of diesel. Our old Focus would do it on 45 quid (Petrol) And My Jaguar 3.0D S will do it on 50 quid... This is travelling on cruise control set at just under 80 MPH which is 70 on the Tom Tom so licence safe..

Runflats ?? Well no issues yet but I will replace them with normal tyres when they wear out.

A brilliant car but as You know the engines are needing to be replaced with great regularity ....

I bought My one with 43K miles with loads of extras and in fabulous condition with a full Toyota service history, New Tyres discs and pads. and a new and unused towbar for a very good price indeed ...

Tell Us a wee bit more about the car ???

Rav4July2011005.jpg

Had mine for just over a year now,extremely pleased with the vehicle.Just taken out a 2 year extended Toyota warranty.Comfort,looks,ride & fuel economy very good for a large ,heavy car.Getting 40 mpg on a long run,that`s carrying a spare wheel in the back.Still has all 4 RFT on.Just had a tow bar fitted,as we have acquired a caravan,ideal towing vehicle.We will probably replace the RFT as & when they wear.Very lucky to have a good Toyota Dealership just down the road.They picked up on a head gasket problem on a routine check & sorted it on the spot,no charge.At the moment can only report good stuff.

BJK

So..

Thanks guys (and gals)

Mate I can only talk about the T180 as its the only rav I have owned..

Fuel . Well I can run from Burntisland down to Worcester in the Midlands 360 miles on 55 quids worth of diesel. Our old Focus would do it on 45 quid (Petrol) And My Jaguar 3.0D S will do it on 50 quid... This is travelling on cruise control set at just under 80 MPH which is 70 on the Tom Tom so licence safe..

Runflats ?? Well no issues yet but I will replace them with normal tyres when they wear out.

A brilliant car but as You know the engines are needing to be replaced with great regularity ....

I bought My one with 43K miles with loads of extras and in fabulous condition with a full Toyota service history, New Tyres discs and pads. and a new and unused towbar for a very good price indeed ...

Tell Us a wee bit more about the car ???

Rav4July2011005.jpg

Silver 2007 T180. 41,000 on the clock. Excellent condition (apparently). I've not seen it yet so will need to check it out. Its from a Toyota dealer so will come with their one year warranty. He's already knocked £1500 off the price. It will all depend on what the insurance company say and how much i get if they write her off. Oh and if it is salvageable and can be rebuilt... who knows at this stage but it doesn't stop me looking!!!

Had mine for just over a year now,extremely pleased with the vehicle.Just taken out a 2 year extended Toyota warranty.Comfort,looks,ride & fuel economy very good for a large ,heavy car.Getting 40 mpg on a long run,that`s carrying a spare wheel in the back.Still has all 4 RFT on.Just had a tow bar fitted,as we have acquired a caravan,ideal towing vehicle.We will probably replace the RFT as & when they wear.Very lucky to have a good Toyota Dealership just down the road.They picked up on a head gasket problem on a routine check & sorted it on the spot,no charge.At the moment can only report good stuff.

BJK

So the RFTs. what's the deal with them? You're driving down the motorway and get a flat? What happens next?

And where do you buy them? Just looked on black circles (size 235,55,18) and they didn't have any run flats.... Assuming price is ok i fear this could be the stickler...

OK,RFT.

I`m sure that this topic is pinned somewhere in the forum,has been discussed often.Basically, will allow you to drive at reduced speed for a limited distance.When I discovered the limitations of available outlets for replacing the tyres,not a problem in my area,but when away from home,I bought a spare T180 alloy wheel + tyre off eBay & carry this with me on long journeys.Gives me peace of mind.If I where to have a flat & I did not have the spare with me,then I would call out the breakdown people & get taken home.This prevents the inner ring from getting damaged & having to be replaced at extra cost.On top of the new tyre.Having said that,I have now decided to have the inner rings removed when the tyres come up for replacement.They will be replaced with normal tyres,available from any outlet,probably keep the pressure sensors,as this is a safety device.My local Toyota dealer said that they would remove the rings for me,when the time comes.

BJK

Weblers. For Me the runflats are a no no . I cannot carry a spare wheel unless I can fit a bracket on the rear like other models as on long runs I'm usually loaded ..... I will be swapping My tyres for normal ones and carrying a repair kit like You get in the very latest cars... I would simply ring the good old RAC and get the car relayed to My destination if I were to get a flat tyre en route to say the Midlands from Scotland....

PM Big Kev. I believe He may have access to a spare wheel and tyre ???

Not Bieng nosey but how much is The car You are looking at ???

Charlie.

For me the runflats are not a peoblem. Its part of the car standard fit so Iam keeping them. Its not the price of the tyre but the cost of having it replaced and the availabilty of tyres. Im pretty lucky here as the dealer always has stock. Im currently about to have all my wheels replaced and 2 tyres. The wheels are original and badly corroded. So much so rear tyre was leaking. With a roof box, tow bar fitted bike carrier, 3 bikes and 3 dogs in the back I get a return of 34mpg on a long run, and thats not hanging around !!

We have had our T180 now nearly 5 months and the wife an I love it!!

We chose the T180 as we had come from a top spec X-Trail and wanted some thing that had all the toys + leather, etc, and had a good bit of grunt as standard.

The RFT is overcome by purchasing a spare wheel as per Monitorlizard has advised, I bought a brand new T180 wheel & tyre, complete with support rings, etc, for £270 i think and carry it in the boot of the RAV when we go on long journeys.

I also carry a Dynaplug kit in the boot which is yet to be tested but allegedly plugs all punctures in any tyre including the RFT.

Buy an extended Toyota warranty and get it chipped - yes I have had some issues lately with my chip kit but it absolutely transforms the motor.

The main problem for Me with the spare wheel idea is that where do You put it ?? I usually have the boot loaded when doing long journeys.... So carrying one in the back is not an option.. Could a bracket be fitted to the rear door like on other models ??

Charlie.

The main problem for Me with the spare wheel idea is that where do You put it ?? I usually have the boot loaded when doing long journeys.... So carrying one in the back is not an option.. Could a bracket be fitted to the rear door like on other models ??

Charlie, why not search for a spare wheel mount that fits to your towbar? If something like that isn't available commercially, maybe you could get a welding shop to make one up for you. Ideally it should be easily detachable, or able to fold down to open the cargo door. Something like this:

3_G.sized.jpg

Nice idea James !!Would I be right in My thoughts that You are from over the pond in the US ??? I say this because I see You have a V6 Limited which is not available over here in the UK .With the Rav having a swing open door I think You idea may not work... Thanks.

Charlie.

Nice idea James !!Would I be right in My thoughts that You are from over the pond in the US ??? I say this because I see You have a V6 Limited which is not available over here in the UK .With the Rav having a swing open door I think You idea may not work... Thanks.

Right on all counts, Charlie! I was thinking if the mount was hinged, you could pull a pin and lower the spare mount to the pavement to allow the door to open. I've seen hitch-mounted bicycle racks that do just that. In any event, it probably wouldn't be practical as a permanent arrangement--just something to carry your spare on a long trip.

Errr Well that might be a solution for Me Mate but My Wife is disabled and could not cope with that device if She were out on her own ..... The main reason why I am looking around for am Automatic transmission Rav at this time.. Its either that or We end up with another car ....MMMmmmmm.

Charlie.

Charlie.

100_0801-1.jpg

Charlie, I reckon when I had mine, I only lost 20-25% of boot space by putting spare between the back of rear seat and the cross bar for the parcel shelf.You might have to slide the back seats

forward a couple of inches. SHCM and others have a box type cover and have theirs lying flat.

Charlie.

100_0801-1.jpg

Charlie, I reckon when I had mine, I only lost 20-25% of boot space by putting spare between the back of rear seat and the cross bar for the parcel shelf.You might have to slide the back seats

forward a couple of inches. SHCM and others have a box type cover and have theirs lying flat.

Good point, Dave.....I had mine weeks before I noticed that the BACK seats slid forward same as the fronts, and this has been very handy....should help you Charlie when you're loaded up with spare wheel, and your only two mates and all that Ann Summers Rubber Gear youz like to wear on Jet Skis....

Big Kev :lol:

Charlie.

100_0801-1.jpg

As an example My next trip to Worcester I will have all My tools to bring back Plus My Wifes bestest Friend and Her Granddaughter. Plus all Her and Her grandaughters gear for two weeks as They are staying with Us for two weeks ( The disadvantage of living in a seaside town !) Plus our gear for a few nights stay down there ....

So Fellas carrying a spare wheel on this 800+ mile round trip just aint going to happen.....

I'm seriously considering ditching the existing tyres and fitting a set of ordianay ones . Its just making that final decision to either sell this car Or add another car in the form of an automatic for the Wee Wifey to drive....

Of course My XFS is an Auto but SWMBO will not drive it as its to big and I will Bolark Her if She scuffs the 20 inch wheels !!(She is very correct in that assumption)

Wee Charlie.

Charlie.

100_0801-1.jpg

As an example My next trip to Worcester I will have all My tools to bring back Plus My Wifes bestest Friend and Her Granddaughter. Plus all Her and Her grandaughters gear for two weeks as They are staying with Us for two weeks ( The disadvantage of living in a seaside town !) Plus our gear for a few nights stay down there ....

So Fellas carrying a spare wheel on this 800+ mile round trip just aint going to happen.....

I'm seriously considering ditching the existing tyres and fitting a set of ordianay ones . Its just making that final decision to either sell this car Or add another car in the form of an automatic for the Wee Wifey to drive....

Of course My XFS is an Auto but SWMBO will not drive it as its to big and I will Bolark Her if She scuffs the 20 inch wheels !!(She is very correct in that assumption)

Wee Charlie.

I'll beat Bothy to it................put the passengers in a trailer.

Then all your gear will be stowed safe and sound :lol:

Easy, fit a towbar and put the spare wheel in the trailer (that you also purchase)to ballast it and then either put all the clobber in the trailer and the wheel in the Rav, or leave the wheel in the trailer and it gives you extra space for all the clobber that doesnt fit into the Rav :cheers::scooter:

Gus :D

as ever beaten to it - dang it

Ha Ha Today I have been mostly looking at Range Rover Sports ont tinterweb thingy ... I know I know all the jokes ...............

Whats the difference between a Range Rover and a Hedgehog ???..................... A Hedgehog has its Pricks on the outside ........

Then I got to the fuel consumption figures !!!!!! Dont think I could stand all Dat Peeeeeeees taking anyway !!! :rolleyes:

Hey dudes

Well im up in Scotland in my T180 at present. i am totally run flat free now as I had my rear two tyres cut, bands taken off and two tyres fitted. I have 2 Rottweilers in the boot and all our holiday gear on the back seat along with a spare wheel/tyre. When im home I take the spare out and just have 2 cans of tyre weld in boot. Also the tel number of several mobile tyre fitters in the area. Job done :thumbsup:

Hey dudes

Well im up in Scotland in my T180 at present. i am totally run flat free now as I had my rear two tyres cut, bands taken off and two tyres fitted. I have 2 Rottweilers in the boot and all our holiday gear on the back seat along with a spare wheel/tyre. When im home I take the spare out and just have 2 cans of tyre weld in boot. Also the tel number of several mobile tyre fitters in the area. Job done :thumbsup:

Well on the other hand I suppose putting the spare in the boot means I wont get Me arm ripped of ............... B)

Could you feasibly replace the back door of a t180 with that of an xt5 and carry the spare on the back door?

Could you feasibly replace the back door of a t180 with that of an xt5 and carry the spare on the back door?

That would have to be back door, bumper, number plate light etc, don't think the expense would be worth it. huh.gif

Spot on Dave the rear bumper on the T180 is not as wide as the XT,s with spare on back door.

Regards Clare

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links