Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Valve - To Clean Ot Not To Clean?

blue monster

As per the title really - there are numerous posts on here & pinned threads about cleaning the EGR valve when it gets sooted/clogged up.

I am tempted to take mine off to have a look just out of curiousity if nothing at all to see what state it is in as I have been experiecing flat spots at around 40mph when in 4th gear and say around 70ish mph when in 6th - typically aound the 2k rpm mark. Once you put your foot down - it clears - could this be EGR related?

Is this the right thing to be doing (as in the cleaning out) or is it just prolonging/masking more serious underlying issues?

Your thoughts/comments on the back of a postcard please :D

As per the title really - there are numerous posts on here & pinned threads about cleaning the EGR valve when it gets sooted/clogged up.

I am tempted to take mine off to have a look just out of curiousity if nothing at all to see what state it is in as I have been experiecing flat spots at around 40mph when in 4th gear and say around 70ish mph when in 6th - typically aound the 2k rpm mark. Once you put your foot down - it clears - could this be EGR related?

Is this the right thing to be doing (as in the cleaning out) or is it just prolonging/masking more serious underlying issues?

To quote Local Hero in one of his intelligent rants :lol: ....his taxi has been to the moon and back and never needed the EGR valve cleaned or replaced. If a Rav has this flat spot you speak of, it only takes a short time to remove and inspect, but going by recent more and more common events, a bowfin valve is pointing to more serious underlying problems. I would book an hour's diagnostic at Mr.T. and let him explore, as surely the charge would be waived should he find the engine is gubbered,,,,?

Justafot,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Good call Kev, have just booked it in to Lindop's for next Monday - they will be getting sick of the sight of me :crybaby:

Yep! I agree with Big Kev on this one to. Let the dealer take a look at it and take it from there. You dont wanna mask a problem that later comes and bites you in the :censor:

Hope it get sorted for you :thumbsup:

Yep! I agree with Big Kev on this one to. Let the dealer take a look at it and take it from there. You dont wanna mask a problem that later comes and bites you in the :censor:

I have been saying for about 18mths, if your EGR needed cleaning at regular intervals it would be part of the service shedule, the fact that a lot of us are cleaning them ourseves must surely mean that they are doing something that Mr T did not expect them to do, i'e indicating a fault, In My Humble Opinion, do not clean them, If you look at my new engine post you will notice my engine has a NEW egr valve, this is NOT part of the new engine, it was replaced because it was sooted up, another sign, and again this is one of my daft reasonings, I have twin chrome exhausts on mine and after a decent run they are/were covered in black soot, I started looking at other vehicles exhausts, I Hate to say it but next time you are behind a posh range rover :censor: look how clean the exhausts are, take a look at your exhaust, because i think this is also an indicator that your engine is sooting up, But i could be wrong :unsure: Stew

I have been saying for about 18mths, if your EGR needed cleaning at regular intervals it would be part of the service shedule, the fact that a lot of us are cleaning them ourseves must surely mean that they are doing something that Mr T did not expect them to do, i'e indicating a fault, In My Humble Opinion, do not clean them, If you look at my new engine post you will notice my engine has a NEW egr valve, this is NOT part of the new engine, it was replaced because it was sooted up, another sign, and again this is one of my daft reasonings, I have twin chrome exhausts on mine and after a decent run they are/were covered in black soot, I started looking at other vehicles exhausts, I Hate to say it but next time you are behind a posh range rover :censor: look how clean the exhausts are, take a look at your exhaust, because i think this is also an indicator that your engine is sooting up, But i could be wrong :unsure: Stew

Its funny that you should mention the exhaust because I've been looking at mine (Because I wanted a chrome tail pipe) as I'd bought a genuine one for the Avensis only to find that the only model it doesn't fit is the T-180! Gutted as it would have looked great. But when I looked at the exhaust I was quite suprised to see how clean it was after having 2 new engines and EGR's and D-CAT's! But this maybe because it has had that and I've been using Bg244 and Millers diesel clean and Mobil ESP in it! I'm not sure.

I've noticed that the exhausts on the BMW's and especially the Audi A8's have no signs of soot at all on the motors I've seen...

There are loads of exhaust trims that will fit, see LINK I am loathe to reccomend any particular one, but if i were buying would probably go for Stainless Steel :thumbsup: Stew

P.S. you are spot on about BMW/AUDI exhausts :yes:

There are loads of exhaust trims that will fit, see LINK I am loathe to reccomend any particular one, but if i were buying would probably go for Stainless Steel :thumbsup: Stew

Many thanks for the link mate. But as it stands atm I may not be buying anything for the car as I think I might need a 3rd new T-180 engine! I've just posted this on the Avensis forum, gutted if I'm right.:!Removed!:

Many thanks for the link mate. But as it stands atm I may not be buying anything for the car as I think I might need a 3rd new T-180 engine! I've just posted this on the Avensis forum, gutted if I'm right.:!Removed!:

Surely not a third new engine ?? If Your car has had one of those new modified all singing and dancing engines and its gone again then it does not bode well for those of Us in the queue for Our first one !! ???

Wee Charlie.

Surely not a third new engine ?? If Your car has had one of those new modified all singing and dancing engines and its gone again then it does not bode well for those of Us in the queue for Our first one !! ???

Wee Charlie.

Yer I know Charlie as you're waiting to get your 1st one done an all! It had all the mods the 1st time with pistons/Egr ect! And the 2nd time to plus new D-CAT/ 5th injector ect costing just over £6500... I just hope I'm wrong as this is getting silly now if it is!!!

This is a disturbing thread.

Just got back from Scotland today and done 2k miles. Car aint used a drop of oil and is still purrrring. Mine did have new gasket and pistons etc a few years back so i hope the mod has given me a good engine. The stoopid VSC, check ABS light hasnt come on again as yet. Gonna check and clean egr tommorow. Be intresting to see how dirty it is after having that bd244 or whatever its called went through it a few months ago

I too have a T180 and two months ago I had the same problem as you are experiencing. I cleaned out the EGR Valve and it cured it

I was at my local Toyota Dealer last week and told them about this.

They advised NOT to clean it in future as there was an underlying problem with these engines.

They also advised to bring the car to them and if they got a reading on their diagostnic equipment thay would replace the engine

Hope this helps

I took mine off last night to inspect the condition and it was spotless although anchorman has suggested that it could be sticking - who knows. I am running now without my chip kit so will take it to work tomorrow & see how I get on

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links