Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq 2Nd Service?

Seano01

Hi all,

I have a IQ bought new in August 2009 (UK), it is due it's 2nd service in the next few weeks. Please could someone tell me how much it is likely to cost? Also I've had conflicting advice that I must have it done to keep my 3 year warranty valid - is this true? What do they actually do as part of this service - is it worth the dosh? cheers

Hi all,

I have a IQ bought new in August 2009 (UK), it is due it's 2nd service in the next few weeks. Please could someone tell me how much it is likely to cost? Also I've had conflicting advice that I must have it done to keep my 3 year warranty valid - is this true? What do they actually do as part of this service - is it worth the dosh? cheers

I believe the cost, if done by a Toyota dealership could be between £150-£250, or even more, although mine was done under a service plan so I did not know the actual price.

Others here will have an accurate figure.

As far as I can tell, and I am a mechanical engineer, all that was done to my IQ was an oil and filter change and the "health and safety" checks. I hope they took the wheels off to check the brakes but I doubt it as everything was working fine.

So the answer is, in my opinion, it is not worth the dosh, but you MUST get the car serviced for the warranty to be kept valid.

However you can use any VAT registered garage for this as long as they use the correct parts (oil filter etc) in the service.

Ask around to see what is regarded as a "good" garage in your area and use them, after they give you a quote to compare with what the Toyota dealership will have quoted you.

Their quote should be much less.

They all know the warranty rules about using the correct parts etc., and keep any receipts. Make sure the service book is stamped.

Keep well away from any place that starts with Quick, Kwik or Fast, if you catch my drift.Family concerns with excellent reputations are what you are looking for.

You definately need to get the service for your warranty. Get a quote for a service plan, they might even let you take it out now. I got one for my Yaris and found it to be good value, it was cheaper than it would be for buying 3 separate services,and you get to pay in installments

Hiya mate,

I can tell you from my experience what happened 2 days ago with my 09 Yaris 2nd year service. Last year it was £173 (£35 for extra engine flush on which I agreed). This year was a different story. They quoted me first £259 or something similar. After I started to ask question why so much and what for, suddenly the price was £234, for which I had to agree, as it wouldn't not hold the warranty up to the 3rd year. The extra costs covered braking fluid replacement and further components examination.

After I arrived few days later for my service, I saw my quote and service plan sheet, only to spot that the price down there was £161.50. The after sales lady got a bit blushed and realised that I probably shouldn't see this price, she suddenly said, it is not right, and asked me what was my qoute, starting going through the PC's notes searching for it. :fear:

After they've done all, they wrote down on the service summary I need AC recharge and pollen filter replacement. But as I read in my log book, exchanging pollen filter was one of the full service "jobs". I contacted Toyota again, saying this was not done, only to get an answer that this is only the case with "earlier" Yarises and does not cover my 09 car. I couldn't believe my ears and just said goodbye snapped, finishing the conversation something and hang up. I wonder if to still argue about this filter and complain higher, especially a service survey will follow and I can put it all down. :ffs:

I can't get why so much fuss about a £5 part, they are obliged to replace. They can't come up with some excusses that are not written down in their own documentation.

Honestly I am fed up with Toyota and am planning to sell mine, looking around for something "german" and with proper boot and 5 seats. Will never go to dealership service, as 1) my warranty expires anyway in a year and 2) I don't have to use their service in 3rd year for a simple oil & filter change and paying £130 for it. Other garages do it for £40.

Btw. do not fall for their service plan as 1) it will be more expensive than you pay year by year 2) it only covers labour. If something brakes down after the warranty period, you get only 10% discount on the part's price. You'll end up worse if don't do much mileage.

PS- I asked them once how much is summer to winter tires change and balancing (both supplied,my own), they said £102. In my local garage they've done it for £40! :blink:

Actually I think a pollen filter for an IQ is more like £20 and I was told "we only change it if it needs to be changed", when my IQ was in for it's 2yr service.

However to check if it needs to be changed they have to take it out, and I know most definitely that they did not open the housing to have a look, so that is just dishonest, to imply they had checked it when they had not.

I rang another dealer about 20 miles away to quote for a 2year service, and sent an email at the same time and was quoted two different figures.One was about £220 and the other £250 I think, so they charge what they think they can get away with...and do very little for it.

This is of course not just a Toyota problem, this I believe is common to most dealership which is why they should be avoided for servicing if possible, if you can find a really good "local" non franchised garage and get to know them.

It is not just the cost. I am fed up with being treated like a fool by the service desk man who glibbly explains what they have done when in fact it is fiction.

They have actually done the minimum that they can get away with, knowing most people will be none the wiser.

You can take out a service plan at any time, I will be taking one out when I take my car in for its 3rd/30,000 service as I have decided Im going to keep the car after its turned 3 years old and not trade it in, so I expect I will take out a 2 or 3 year one.

I rang another dealer about 20 miles away to quote for a 2year service, and sent an email at the same time and was quoted two different figures.One was about £220 and the other £250 I think, so they charge what they think they can get away with...and do very little for it.

You couldn't be more right about this. Just one example, my friend works for a posh furniture selling company. What they do, when a customer asks for a price, let's say a couch, they look at real costs to produce i.e.£650 and then double it to £1,300! Once customer hears the price, they start to go down a bit if it's too much. If not, they sell it with 100% profit. Unbelivable. I had the same impression Toyota does the same. Real servicing price + any amount of money they can rip off you without hesitation! :censor: Will never use official dealership again. Only authorized ones with genuine parts.

Hi The pollen filter is about £45.00 and only needs inspection at 2 years and changing if really dirty.also on the 2 year service they should change the brake fluid as well as engine oil etc.

Hi The pollen filter is about £45.00 and only needs inspection at 2 years and changing if really dirty.also on the 2 year service they should change the brake fluid as well as engine oil etc.

This is the problem, my pollen filter should have been inspected but wasn't, whether or not it needed to be changed, it should have been inspected.

I know for a fact it wasn't inspected but was told it had been.

Hence, little trust in what I am told by these service people.

Hence, find a garage I CAN trust, that will do the work I am paying for.

To be honest bad experiences with dealerships played a large part in my decision to stop buying Toyotas (after buying three cars in three years). There are two franchised Toyota dealerships within a 25-mile radius of where I live, neither of them can be trusted...I've had the lights on my car smashed when having a washer jet fixed (no idea how) and scratches on the interior. It's just not good enough.

Makes me glad I have my first 2 services and first MOT (when due) at no cost included in my finance package... only need to pay for 1 service in my entire planned 3 year ownership of the car.

thanks everyone for your advice and info, rang toyota and they said it would be £225 all in for the service, i will have a ring round and see what other deals i can get, get that nasty gut feeling that I'm paying money for nothing!

thanks everyone for your advice and info, rang toyota and they said it would be £225 all in for the service, i will have a ring round and see what other deals i can get, get that nasty gut feeling that I'm paying money for nothing!

And btw. the pollen filter that costs any amount of money Toyota want from you, is to be bought of eBay for £5.49 And it is double dense as the one you have in your car. Disgusted. :angry:

You spent £237 on a service and they can't even put new filter for £5...

hi,

I had my 2nd service about 2 months ago, they told me it was going to be £185.00 so I kicked up a fuss and said that i was not going pay that amount for a car i bought because they were supposed to be cheap to run and maintain.

I asked what was included in the service, their were 3 things they were going to charge me for that i and the car did not need

1) a spare half litre of engine oil just in case i needed it

2) replace the Battery in my key fob (not needed as it was fine)

3) fuel additive to clean the injectors (which i bought my self from Asda for Redex fuel injection cleaner £2.00)

I told them that i didn't need these so they amended the service cost accounting for these 3 items being taken off and it then came to £135.00.

So check and ask before you agree a cost with your dealer

hi,

I had my 2nd service about 2 months ago, they told me it was going to be £185.00 so I kicked up a fuss and said that i was not going pay that amount for a car i bought because they were supposed to be cheap to run and maintain.

I asked what was included in the service, their were 3 things they were going to charge me for that i and the car did not need

1) a spare half litre of engine oil just in case i needed it

2) replace the battery in my key fob (not needed as it was fine)

3) fuel additive to clean the injectors (which i bought my self from Asda for Redex fuel injection cleaner £2.00)

I told them that i didn't need these so they amended the service cost accounting for these 3 items being taken off and it then came to £135.00.

So check and ask before you agree a cost with your dealer

How on earth can anyone justify a cost of £50 for those three items.

They really are "at it".

Quite sickening actually that you have to watch them like a hawk not to get ripped off. Most people don't like confrontation and just accept it and pay, and I am included in that, so they win again.

I have just been haggling with both Jemca and Currie Motors about a second service which they say is 'the full service'. Jemca first wanted £337 after which I pointed out that the brake fluid is being done under the master cylinder recall, they came down to £290. I then questioned what they are doing for this amount and she couldn't explain and said 'bits and pieces' and she said the labour time is 1.5hours costing £150. So I asked what is the other £140 pounds for when they will only be changing the oil and oil filter, after which they then came down to £260. Thought it was still too much and thanked them for their time. Currie Motors was a similar story although they initially quoted £290. Think I'll just buy the oil filter from Toyota and get the service done at an independent. Does anyone know if Costco still sell oil?

You should always shop around and haggle for anything, servicing included, there will always be some margin to play with

Pollen filters are £20 ish for Yaris, an iQ is £36 ish

Always an immotive subject but I like to put it this way. Get it serviced at an independant, how much will you save over say 2 or 3 years? probably a few hundred pounds.

Trade your car in say in 2 or 3 years time WITHOUT FSH and see how much that will cost you. Nobody wants to buy a car without FSH and this is reflected in your P/EX price, it will be considerably more than a few hundred quid

Ask what you are getting, haggle, get a price elsewhere, then see if they will price match or beat a competitor quote, there is room for a discount, but one thing is for sure, the margin left for the dealer wont be as much as the furniture store makes on a sofa!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi getting a car serviced by a independent as long as it is done to Toyotas spec is part of a FSH and will not invalidate a warranty. £100 a hour is just taking the mick.

Does anyone know if Costco still sell oil?

Yes they do, been there tonight. Couldn't tell you what grades though.

I have just been haggling with both Jemca and Currie Motors about a second service which they say is 'the full service'. Jemca first wanted £337 after which I pointed out that the brake fluid is being done under the master cylinder recall, they came down to £290. I then questioned what they are doing for this amount and she couldn't explain and said 'bits and pieces' and she said the labour time is 1.5hours costing £150. So I asked what is the other £140 pounds for when they will only be changing the oil and oil filter, after which they then came down to £260. Thought it was still too much and thanked them for their time. Currie Motors was a similar story although they initially quoted £290. Think I'll just buy the oil filter from Toyota and get the service done at an independent. Does anyone know if Costco still sell oil?

Yes they do £30 +vat for 5ltr

David

Yes they do £30 +vat for 5ltr Mobile 1

David

I asked at my dealership yesterday how much the 20k mile service is...they came back with £309. So I asked what it involved, got the fluid change (said well I wont need that as just had the master cylinder recall), pollen filter (said I wouldnt need that as car isnt even a year old yet) and apparently they adjust the rear handbrake cable on the calipers. I also asked how much tyres are he said oh between 70-100 each, I wet myself and said youre joking surely. Seems if I come and see them at the time I will get a better deal. Looks like for 2nd service I will go to my indy pay £40 notes and be quids in and keep the warranty.

Hi getting a car serviced by a independent as long as it is done to Toyotas spec is part of a FSH and will not invalidate a warranty. £100 a hour is just taking the mick.

Sorry but you are wrong. It might be a service history but NOT a TFSH and will make a world of difference to your P/EX price. A Sales Manager will be able to command a higher price on the forecourt for a car that has been serviced by a dealer

Customers coming to buy a used Toyota from a Toyota dealer want one with a TFSH and not something from Fred in the shed

We charge nothing like £100 per hour, but there are dealers in the city that do have to charge those rates, just like plumbers, drain cleaners, solicitors bla bla bla

Kingo :thumbsup:

Lets hope then there will be plenty of choice used & sometimes low milage iQ's around for sale at Totota Dealerships & Independents dealerships & private sales that will have

'Full Toyota Service Histories' & ones that just have 'Full Service Histories'.

You might then expect the ones that do not have the 'Full serviced at a Toyota Dealership service history' to be that many hundred of pounds cheaper to buy.

Funnily thats never how it seems to be tho is it, & it never will be IMO.

Personnaly I would prefer a nicely looked after, prepared, presented & maintained S/H car every time over one that has 'Toyota Service' stamps in the book & thats it..

That 'Full Toyota Service History' can be on an ex-demo/salesmans daily drive, ex-lease,hire, motability or anything where the drivers has ragged it to death without a care in the world because its going back in 6 months,1, 2 or 3 years type thing..

george