Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electrifying

mystic

Something i have never experienced with a car so im not sure where to start but let me get you in the picture.

You go for a nice little drive, you stop the car and open door to get out. When your out, generally you want to close the door but if you happen to touch any part of the door or bodywork (like you do to close the door) you get a bright blue static shock.

Last night i thought someone was taking my picture, surely somethings wrong getting static shocks from the body work after you turn the engine off? Everything in the car is running fine!

Any ideas?

Something i have never experienced with a car so im not sure where to start but let me get you in the picture.

You go for a nice little drive, you stop the car and open door to get out. When your out, generally you want to close the door but if you happen to touch any part of the door or bodywork (like you do to close the door) you get a bright blue static shock.

Last night i thought someone was taking my picture, surely somethings wrong getting static shocks from the body work after you turn the engine off? Everything in the car is running fine!

Any ideas?

I get that a lot when wearing certain types of clothes, especialy 100% wool and/or fleece. Using fabric softener after washing (clothes) and also smearing some of it on the seats (fabric, dont know about leather) are supposed to help, but I know from experience it's not a permanent solution.

Any ideas?

I have always explained static in cars TO MYSELF thus......your car is travelling through charged particles of air at a fair rate of knots, perfectly insulated by its own wee rubber feet (tyres) from earthing/discharging itself. You further exacerbate the problem when you rub yer bum on man made fibres (seats) as you leave the car, and if you're anything like me, and have sweaty hands, you are a perfect earthing rod for all that built up electricity.....bloody annoying.

I stand to be corrected by those in the know like our very own shcm....knowing him, he probably travels in his own wee home made Faraday cage...!!!! In fairness, I have found the Rav ok on this front, but for some reason suffer very badly on USA holidays with hire cars....no comprendify....?

As a wee aside....see those loads slung under helicopters en route to oil rigs....? Dinnae touch even the rope sling until it is well earthed on the metal of the rig.

HTH, mystic (Meg a Watt...?)

Teacher Kev....?

In yonks gone by, in the era of cheap nylon carpets, folk used to attach an 'earth strap' from the bodywork to then drag along the ground. Always wondered if it worked. Don't try using a copper cable as it'll be nicked.

Change your shoes. Rubber soles in particular are worst.

The static shock you get from the car depends on several factors. The relative humidity has to be fairly low, so it doesn't happen in humid weather. Another big factor is the type of tires fitted on the car. Tires with a low level of carbon in the rubber insulate better, so you will get shocked. Other tires that have a rubber compound higher in carbon tend to conduct better and will bleed the static charge to ground. For example, the Michelins on our minivan used to pop me all the time, but the OEM Yokohama Geolandars on the RAV4 have NEVER shocked me.

Change your shoes. Rubber soles in particular are worst.

Correct, Ancs. Leather soled shoes are not so bad but wear out far too quickly in wet weather. I get a lot of this on very dry atmosphered days and get round it simply enough when I remember to do it. Try unlatching the door then get out having grasped the metal window frame of the door and opening the door by pushing that as I put my foot to the ground. Works for me and I do tend to remember as the belt I get otherwise is painful.

Mike D

like our very own shcm....knowing him, he probably travels in his own wee home made Faraday cage...!!!!

No, just a cage!

Some years ago, a certain vehicle manufacturer had a very poorly designed remote entry key, as far as ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) went. The upshot of which was, under certain conditions, with the key in your pocket, when walking away from your vehicle, it would unlock.

One solution - Don't wear nylon underwear :Jumpy:

Customer - My vehicle unlocks for no reason.

Dealer - What kind of underwear do you have sir (or madam)?

Absolutely true. :yes:

:lol:

That's priceless! :lol2:

like our very own shcm....knowing him, he probably travels in his own wee home made Faraday cage...!!!!

No, just a cage!

Some years ago, a certain vehicle manufacturer had a very poorly designed remote entry key, as far as ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) went. The upshot of which was, under certain conditions, with the key in your pocket, when walking away from your vehicle, it would unlock.

One solution - Don't wear nylon underwear :Jumpy:

Customer - My vehicle unlocks for no reason.

Dealer - What kind of underwear do you have sir (or madam)?

Absolutely true. :yes:

He could have said,take your knickers of madam.

Simples. Drive around wearing a wet pair of slippers.

This down to static electickery building up in your knicks as you drive along. Try not wriggling about so much as you drive.

Seriously though Mike JD is correct. If you touch the metalwork of the car as you climb out, e.g. the inner door frame or sill plate, you'll avoid the shock. Problem is that you usually remember to do this AFTER you've had yet another shock! It will get better as the weather cools down towards winter..............

This down to static electickery building up in your knicks as you drive along. Try not wriggling about so much as you drive.

Seriously though Mike JD is correct. If you touch the metalwork of the car as you climb out, e.g. the inner door frame or sill plate, you'll avoid the shock. Problem is that you usually remember to do this AFTER you've had yet another shock! It will get better as the weather cools down towards winter..............

Wonder if you could sell this excess of electricity back to the grid, or even better, Prius owners :unsure::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links