Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Drive Shaft :(

porkie24

Heres a difficult one lads!

Going down motorway the other day, got a loud thump from rear, pulled over could not see anything so i limped back home at 20mph. When i got home i discovered the o.s.r drive shaft had snapped behind the hub. I managed to get a replacement shaft from a breakers yard and also changed the hub as he had one cheap & mine was wearing. Put it all back together, then jacked the whole of the rear up and turned wheels by hand. o.s.r went clockwise n.s.r went anti. Now the problem!!! Dropped jack, started up, engaged first, found bite on clutch, car moved approx 1 inch then wouldnt go anymore (felt resistance so i diddnt let clutch out fully) Ive dropped diff oil & theres no sign of filings in it.

The only way i can really describe it is if you have engine off in 1st gear and try to push car, thats what it feels like.

Can anyone help please???

The wheels contra-rotating is normal. Now try dropping one wheel and try again. It will be very stiff to turn buts thats OK. If that works, jack up the fronts and do the same. It is Ok to be stiff but should turn. As long as they do, just try driving it and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Have changed the broken shaft and got my hands on second hand diff, put them on connected everything up and still same problem! I disconnected the propshaft from the diff and we have movement! Although when moving car backwards & forwards the propshaft does not turn. Does anyone think this could be a ceased prop bearing or the transfer box?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links