Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Really Needs Some Help With Transfer Or Auto Box Noise

Pete007

Hi All

new on here and could really do with some advice!

I have just bought a rav 4 2.0 1997 AUTO which has a really strange clonking noise coming from eitrher the transmission or the transfer box.

Basically when you have just accelerated, immediately after you come off the throttle you get a type of short clonking noise,

almost like a bouncing ball. As you come off the throttle it only clonks (bounces) 2,3 or 4 times and then stops and drives on without further sound until nyou accelerate hard and then come off the throttle again.

I have checked the gearbox oil level and its at max, a little over if im honest and the same goes for the engine oil, just over max.

I have also checked the bush around the prop shaft half way down and it seems fine.

My mechanic said it sounded like it was coming from the transfer box but couldnt be sure!

anyone got any ideas?

thanks in advance guys.

Peter

Have you checked the UJs in the drive shafts?

With these, at that age, check the rear diff mount isn't loose/sloppy. Sound carries along the prop shaft. That would be the first place.

Then the engine mounts.

Then the suspension bushes for wear.

Shock absorber mounts ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links