Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Problem On Yaris 1.0 2002

hayley1407

Hi,

My Yaris went in for a service yesterday, when I went to pick it up the dealership gave me a list of problems wrong with the car :crybaby:

I don't know anything about cars so thought I would get some advice before agreeing to any work being carried out.

Here is the list they gave me:

2 new front tyres and tracking (getting those done tomorrow at a different garage for £85) They told me theres no point getting new tyres if I don't get the anti roll bar bushes sorted at the same time as the tyres won't last at all.

Advise N/S/F SHock Absorber leaking but will require both replacing.

Requires both front anti roll bar bushes.

hanbrake cable siezed

unable to remove rar drums to inspect rear brake shoes and rear wheel cylinders

quote for work £723.95

I was close to tears when they gave me that figure. Wanted to know if that price is more or less correct or do you think I could get it any cheaper if I went to an smaller garage?

Any advice would be greatly received.

tyres and tracking - local tyre shop

anti-roll bar bushes can be bought on eBay for around £10-20 (and easily fitted by a local mechanic)

Shocks either get from eBay or a scrap yard second hand.

get a quote from a local garage for the combined work including the hand brake cable.

Toyota are now charging around £90 per hour labour (that is where most of the quote come from)

You can easily half that with a local trusted mechanic.

unable to remove rar drums to inspect rear brake shoes and rear wheel cylinders

Once jacked up and wheels removed, they just pull off. So unless seriously rusted or a ridge worn in them , come off quite easily.

I think they may (note "may") be taking advantage of your ignorance...

Just to answer a couple of your questions, I believe its always the best to replace both shock's at the same time as it can cause problems under sudden braking and cornering if both are not done as one side will have a stiffer response which can not be balanced correctly at the other side,(can dip and roll more on the older shock), not good if you drive on country roads.

My advice is if you can afford it to always fit new not secondhand ( to buy online example for front shocks: http://www.dorsetautospares.com/p-9661-shock-absorber.aspx?partno=333368&catid=20 ) and just price at a local garage for fitting same as for roll bar bushes.

I have found that for brakes it can be quicker to go to a local kwick f*t or national tyr*s to get rear brakes freed off and checked and some do it for free :thumbsup: but again your local garage can sometimes do it cheaper for the actual repair.

Main advice is shop around unless you are well off, and see if any friends know a mobile mechanic who they would reccommend, we know of one in our area who I would always refer friends to as I know him personally and know his work, just sorry that you dont live near here.

I had a warning about my anti roll bar bushes 4 yrs ago on my 2003 yaris

The exterior rubber is perished but the inners were ok and still are 4 yrs later.

If there is no knocking there's no need to do anything

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links