Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disabled Car Parking Spaces

Steve

Do you think there is too many disabled car parking spaces in supermarket stores etc.. ? Or should there be more?

I've never seen more than about 10% of available 'disabled' spaces in use at one time anywhere. That's not to say they never are of course, I really don't know.

What I do know is the utter folly of having special parking spaces for disabled drivers on every floor of multi-story car parks miles out of town. They are NEVER used for obvious reasons. Seems they are there to provide ticks in boxes rather than doing anything useful for the drivers that actually need the things.

As one who has a blue parking Badge I can speak from the other side of the fence, as you might say. We do often have trouble finding a designated space in many places so Christine finds a general space. She often checks those who are using the spaces and usaually finds at least one who is not displaying a Badge, more often BMW or White Van Man.

I have been challenged for not being disabled because I am not in a wheelchair, so cannot be disabled; I am completely blind in brght light and almost so in cloudy conditions. I do not object to this because these same people may challenge improper users occasionally.

In many pay car parks blue Badge holders can park for free, this seems silly to us. We have no objection to paying whatsoever.

Malcolm

I am completely blind in brght light and almost so in cloudy conditions.

With all due respect, if this is the case, should you be driving?

Funny you should say that, no they don't let me drive. Christine, my wife does the driving, so you can stop panicking. I cannot see a number plate at 10 feet, never mind 25 yards.

Malcolm

Fair play, -sorry to hear it.

Every time I go shopping the disabled spaces are filled with brand new Range Rovers and other chav-mobiles of the same ilk.

I've never seen more than about 10% of available 'disabled' spaces in use at one time anywhere. That's not to say they never are of course, I really don't know.

What I do know is the utter folly of having special parking spaces for disabled drivers on every floor of multi-story car parks miles out of town. They are NEVER used for obvious reasons. Seems they are there to provide ticks in boxes rather than doing anything useful for the drivers that actually need the things.

quote]

Aren't those disabilty spaces on upper floors close to the lifts?

I have a disabled son who is wheelchair bound, my local supermarket blue Badge bays are usually filled with old sods that park in the bay ,then let their wife go and do the shopping, thats NOT what the bay is for, the idea of the bay is to allow a disabled person to get closer to the shop and GET OUT , not block the space while reading a paper, it does so p*ss me off.

If the bays were not so badly missed used or used by chavs with no disability , there would be just the right amount.

I wouldn't know to be honest - I don't use lifts! I can't ever remember seeing a single one of those designated spaces in use in a multi-story car park though. Not too surprising when you consider that most of them are a long way from anything and cars displaying badges are frequently allowed to park on roads that the rest are banned from. Why on earth would anybody pay to park in a place that still leaves them a long way from where they want to be when they don't have to?

My other half qualifies for a blue Badge and I drive her around.

I don't like parking on the road where others cannot,even tho' this is permitted.

She uses a small mobility scooter,so that is when we use the multi-storey car parks.

Of course I can only speak for myself,but it also annoys me when I see people who jump out of a badged car and then run into the shops.

Did I not read that some supermarkets are now trying to crack down on miss-use of the designated parking spaces?

Anyway it's unfair ro say BMW driver use them...

I'll take two spaces at the furthest point from the door :thumbsup:

Anyway it's unfair ro say BMW driver use them...

I'll take two spaces at the furthest point from the door :thumbsup:

We'll take that as abandonment then. :angry::thumbsup:

Having had a blue Badge for some years, I only use it when I really need to - ie not when I'm dropping someone off to do the shopping etc and waiting in the car.

The rules for the badges seem to be changing and becoming much stricter - anyone know if the process has changed in their area ???

I am completely blind in brght light and almost so in cloudy conditions.

With all due respect, if this is the case, should you be driving?

Why not? He wouldn't be the only blind driver! Those drivers ignoring speed limit signs, give way signs, stop signs, other road hazards...

:thumbsup::yahoo:

Why not? He wouldn't be the only blind driver! Those drivers ignoring speed limit signs, give way signs, stop signs, other road hazards...

:thumbsup::yahoo:

I call them the ones who drive around with their eyes closed :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind that I am the non-seeing one; I once travelled with a colleague to a meeting at Loughborough University. It soon became clear that I could see the motorway signs better than the driver. I could not read them but I could see them better. My other colleague in the back was a nervous wreck, I just closed my eyes and quietly sang a few verses of 'Nearer my God to thee'.

Malcolm

Bearing in mind that I am the non-seeing one; I once travelled with a colleague to a meeting at Loughborough University. It soon became clear that I could see the motorway signs better than the driver. I could not read them but I could see them better. My other colleague in the back was a nervous wreck, I just closed my eyes and quietly sang a few verses of 'Nearer my God to thee'.

Malcolm

:lol: Nice one Malcolm... It's also smashing that you have not lost your sense of humour! Good luck to you and yours mate!!

I was once driven down the M1 by my beloved father in law. He asked me what eleven T meant on the illuminated road sign. Had to explain in some trepidation that the outside lane was closed. (11T)

Great post Malcolm. All the best.

I was once driven down the M1 by my beloved father in law. He asked me what eleven T meant on the illuminated road sign. Had to explain in some trepidation that the outside lane was closed. (11T)

Great post Malcolm. All the best.

:lol2: :lol2: @ 11T

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links