Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 2.0 D-4D Warm Engine Starting Problem

bloodymirko

Hi,

In last few summer months I encountered problems with warm engine starts. I have Avensis T25 2.0 D-4D 85kW car make 10/2004.

The car starts cold engine without problem, but, when the engine temperature rises up to operating value (80-90 C) the engine is problematic to start.

Starter runs for 30-60 seconds to get the engine into operation. During the starting, the engine shakes and no black smoke comes out from the exhaust.

Reading this forum through I performed following repairs to my car, but unfortunately without success:

1. I replaced the 5 years old Toyota Battery with a new Varta Silver 87Ah one that bears heavy duty operation with no problems.

2. Replaced the fuel filter and air filter

3. Cleaned the EGR Valve

4. Changed the SCV valve for a new one on the Common Rail pump

None of this above helped. :crybaby:

I plan to get a complete Starter overhaul, as it seems to be running a bit slowly/weak torque and check and replace the fuel heating sparks.

I addition I will run the ODB diagnostics to see what could have happened.

Do you have any suggestions what else should I do to get my car good "warm stars".

Thanks,

Bloodymirko

Hi,

In last few summer months I encountered problems with warm engine starts. I have Avensis T25 2.0 D-4D 85kW car make 10/2004.

The car starts cold engine without problem, but, when the engine temperature rises up to operating value (80-90 C) the engine is problematic to start.

Starter runs for 30-60 seconds to get the engine into operation. During the starting, the engine shakes and no black smoke comes out from the exhaust.

Reading this forum through I performed following repairs to my car, but unfortunately without success:

1. I replaced the 5 years old Toyota battery with a new Varta Silver 87Ah one that bears heavy duty operation with no problems.

2. Replaced the fuel filter and air filter

3. Cleaned the EGR Valve

4. Changed the SCV valve for a new one on the Common Rail pump

None of this above helped. :crybaby:

I plan to get a complete Starter overhaul, as it seems to be running a bit slowly/weak torque and check and replace the fuel heating sparks.

I addition I will run the ODB diagnostics to see what could have happened.

Do you have any suggestions what else should I do to get my car good "warm stars".

Thanks,

Bloodymirko

It does seem to be starter motor related from comments and success stories from the past on this forum so you are doing the right thing by overhauling the starter motor.

Regards ... Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally managed to fix my Avensis hot engine starting problem.

I replaced the old Denso starter with a brand new aftermarket type AS S0020, that cost me only 80 EUR!!!!! including shipping and my car starts better than a new one :yahoo:. Replacement took me 1 hour and it was not a hard job at all.

If you search for a new aftermarket starter at perfect cost, have a look at Click here and you will find the right one. The website is in Polish, but google translate will help you with the page. The store owner Robert Willich speaks English, so there is no communication barrier. Just send him a mail with a quote, or use the messenger window and you will get the best price on the internet.

Shop supports international shipping and PayPall payment. In my case shipping from PL to SK was just 6EUR!.

Good luck.

Bloodymirko

PS: This is not an advertisement, but a lucky customer annoucement :rolleyes:

Hi,

I finally managed to fix my Avensis hot engine starting problem.

I replaced the old Denso starter with a brand new aftermarket type AS S0020, that cost me only 80 EUR!!!!! including shipping and my car starts better than a new one :yahoo:. Replacement took me 1 hour and it was not a hard job at all.

If you search for a new aftermarket starter at perfect cost, have a look at Click here and you will find the right one. The website is in Polish, but google translate will help you with the page. The store owner Robert Willich speaks English, so there is no communication barrier. Just send him a mail with a quote, or use the messenger window and you will get the best price on the internet.

Shop supports international shipping and PayPall payment. In my case shipping from PL to SK was just 6EUR!.

Good luck.

Bloodymirko

PS: This is not an advertisement, but a lucky customer annoucement :rolleyes:

That's a great result mate and thanks for taking the time to tell us that your car is fixed after taking the advice given ..... not everyone does that, thanks also for the link to a trusted supplier. :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

• 8 months later...

Hi There

same problem, new starter - now starting like a Toyota again

• 6 months later...

I have this issue about two years ago and bought a replacement starter,I also did dual mass flywheel.

Has started to happen again and had the original Toyota starter and was told they are much better than aftermarket,got it reconned(new bendix) ,car now spins quicker but still hard to start hot...

• 2 months later...

I have just had the same problem. The engine started fine cold but when warm it turned over and sounded ok and sometimes started, but increasingly didnt catch. The starter sounded ok though, but the engine and car juddered quite violently.

I dad to get roadside assistance 3 times in the space of a month, the first time I figured the Battery was pretty old so I had that replaced and had my usual mechanic service it, thinking it might be glow plugs. He couldnt replicate the fault as it was intermittent at the time and a diagnostic came up with nothing. The next I had the rescue chap take a more extensive look. I suggested the starter as I had googled it and the fault seemed to be fairly common. He reckoned that it sounded fine and thought it was a fuel blockage.

The third time it started I drove to the Toyota dealer and demoed to one of their mechanics. Straight away he said it was the starter. It seems that it is a bit of a 'feature' of the D-4D motor.

Toyota quoted 500 plus for a new one and fitting, the local garage 300 plus. I bought a generic starter new off eBay for 70 quid and removed the old and fitted the new in under 2 hours and it fixed the problem. It was a bit fiddly, the Battery and housing needs to be taken out and a couple of hoses unclipped to get access to the two bolts holding the starter on but other than that the job was easy.

On the 2.0 D4d 1CD CDT250 ( timing belt engines ) hot starting issues are a known issue with a technical service bulletin issued. Toyota has had the starter redesigned to cure the issue, the issues only appeared after the 1CD engine was discontinued.

The fault is caused by a bush failure inside the starter which slows or stops the starter crankingm meaning the car either does not start until cooler or if it does start in shudders and rattles as the engine fires up

The fix was a new redesigned starter motor. part # 28100-0G020.

Devon

• 2 weeks later...

My brother's 'rolla is developing the same problem but apparently his car has that part-number'd starter motor (It's a '55-plate IIRC)

Are you sure that's the part # for the *fixed* starter motor...?

Toyota don't have a technical service bulletin for the Corolla only for the Avensis & Corolla Verso which use starter 28100-0G020, your brothers Corolla uses part # 28100-0G010 which is a different part and not affected by the same defect as the Avensis & Corolla verso starter.

Toyota offer 2 choices of starter for your brothers Corolla :

28100-0G010 a brand new unit or

28100-0B020-84 a reconditioned "Optifit" unit

Devon

Its starter. Same problem happened on my 2.2. When engine got hot starter just wouldn't start engine. New starter, problem was solved, car starts fine. Because where the starter is too quite close to the engine block it gets quite hot. Most starters on car aren't normally so close to the engine block so much theirs space around to help cool.

Hmm, so is it the same problem (badly designed starter)?

If it is but there is no 'fixed' version, would I be right in thinking there isn't much point getting a Toyota part over a cheap pattern part as presumably they'll both develop the same problem again after x amount of years? :unsure:

If not, I guess I need to do more research (Don't want to give bad advice!). Bit weird the starter is different when they have the same engine tho'... esp. the Corolla Verso!

Edit: Double confusing is that most places list the pattern part as being interchangable with both 28100-0G010 and 28100-0G020!! :unsure::eek:

• 1 year later...

How long should a starter motor last for a 2.0 d4d 2004 avensis?

My starter let me down in May of last year. Got a recon one with a 12 month warranty. In December it developed a warm start problem so I took it back to my trusted mechanic.

Then something very strange happened. He took the starter off, sent it to the suppliers. They were closed for that week so he put the same one back on. Since then, so from Dec to Sept its been fine. No warm start problems whatsoever.

However now its starting to let me down again. And its out of the warranty period.

Any thought/opinions on the above? Thank you.

How long should a starter motor last for a 2.0 d4d 2004 avensis?

My starter let me down in May of last year. Got a recon one with a 12 month warranty. In December it developed a warm start problem so I took it back to my trusted mechanic.

Then something very strange happened. He took the starter off, sent it to the suppliers. They were closed for that week so he put the same one back on. Since then, so from Dec to Sept its been fine. No warm start problems whatsoever.

However now its starting to let me down again. And its out of the warranty period.

Any thought/opinions on the above? Thank you.

Was the recon unit a Toyota recon? As Although Toyota redesigned the starter to overcome a seizure of the stater due to heat build up it is very unlikely that a non Toyota part would include the changes Toyota made to both new and official recon units, so it is quite possible the non Toyota unit is suffering from the same issues again.

Was the recon unit a Toyota recon? As Although Toyota redesigned the starter to overcome a seizure of the stater due to heat build up it is very unlikely that a non Toyota part would include the changes Toyota made to both new and official recon units, so it is quite possible the non Toyota unit is suffering from the same issues again.

Thats very probable. I dont it was a toyota one because it was pretty cheap. £85 I think. But Im still a little stumped that it lasted good part of 10 months without a problem when all the mechanic did was take it off for a few hours and put it back on.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the first time he left a bolt or two a bit loose. Or maybe an electrical connection wasnt attached properly.

So where can I get a recon toyota starter motor from? Will it be my local Mr T? And how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks once again.

Thats very probable. I dont it was a toyota one because it was pretty cheap. £85 I think. But Im still a little stumped that it lasted good part of 10 months without a problem when all the mechanic did was take it off for a few hours and put it back on.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the first time he left a bolt or two a bit loose. Or maybe an electrical connection wasnt attached properly.

So where can I get a recon toyota starter motor from? Will it be my local Mr T? And how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks once again.

Part number 28100-0G020 for new

Part number 28100-0G020-84 For Optifit Recon unit on an exchange basis, PM partsking or call your local dealer for a price.

• 10 months later...

Hi I had a similar problem of poor starting only when warm.

I ended up fixing it by removing the starter washing it out via the rubber grommet until only clean WD40 ran out. Let it fully empty and dry and then replaced it. This washed the carbon off the bushes and speeded up the cranking and solved the warm start straight away. Did this 6 months ago and all is still fine.

Cost one big can WD40 and a few hours, found this solution buried in the forum

• Like 1

The core issues around starting with the older gen diesels split into 3 main areas.

1 - no fuel - SVC's

2 - Crap Battery

3 - Crap starter.

easy checks

1 - check fuel filter

press the button on the top, this button just be firm and not hard.

If it just press it and it just goes down, you have no fuel getting to the filter.

unplug the top feed that comes from the bulkhead and see if diesel comes out, if it does you have diesel in the pipe and the tank. Your problem could be the fuel filter, or the one way diaphragm is fur-bared.

2 - crap Battery

whilst cranking use a multimeter and check volts, they should not fall below 12v's, if they fall quickly and rise thats normal, but if they hold towards lower range of 11v you have a weak Battery and if they are lowered eg 10v, you have short in a lead plate.

3 - starter motor a multitude of issues.

Sticky selonid - clicky clicky - This can sometimes also be a crap battery.

To test get a small hammer and tap the selonid whilst someone is cranking.

Spluttering Starter, this is where it is engaged and disengaged quickly, selonid or a sticky starter fork.

Hot starting, this is where the car cranks for ages.

This is because, warmer components are harder to move, on most cars if the car speed whilst cranking does not get past 600rpm the ecu does not send the signal to enable the pump / SVC... sometimes this issue can be caused by the timing belt crank sensor.

• 1 year later...
On 23-1-2013 at 8:56 PM, Devon Aygo said:

On the 2.0 D4d 1CD CDT250 ( timing belt engines ) hot starting issues are a known issue with a technical service bulletin issued. Toyota has had the starter redesigned to cure the issue, the issues only appeared after the 1CD engine was discontinued.

The fault is caused by a bush failure inside the starter which slows or stops the starter crankingm meaning the car either does not start until cooler or if it does start in shudders and rattles as the engine fires up

The fix was a new redesigned starter motor. part # 28100-0G020.

Devon

Hello Devon.

My starter has the part 28100-64300 my motor code is 2.0 d4d 1cd and has the same issue as you wrote here above. 

I have dismount the starter and saw that the bush failer looks like it has the same problem. I have dismounted the bearing which only runs one way and after cleaning he runs cold much lighter.

is it possible that this was the problem? Or is my starter part number 28100-64300 already the redesigned number?

Woody

• 1 month later...

I fix the problem, have clean the gear from  the starter and place a heat shield. 

No problems so far 

255.000 km d4d 3.0

year 2003