Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris First Road Test Report

Parts-King

Here they are

daytime_LED_running_lights.jpg

Look far better than those Audi's you see flying around :lol:

Look it's horses for courses, what matters to me doesnt matter to Joe Egg. I think they have done a very good job of it. No rear electric windows on models below T Spirit but you get Touch and Go which from a gizzmo point of view is outstanding, there has to be differences in models otherwise every supermini would be loaded and we would all be driving round in £14385 T Spirits......or top of the range Jazz's at £17245 (sniggers quietly) :naughty:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parts-King

• Lorna2

• BassaJay

• Cyker

Agreed, the Jazz is overpriced but the new Yaris now has copycat dimensions. They both made mistakes with their automated manuals, the now defunct and terrible i-Shift & MMT. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the new Yaris, I just think that the small things mentioned would have made it so much better, the car deserves it.

Sorry,no jury out here, still think those 'tacked on' DRLs look hideous.

:lol: Each to our own, I don't like any of them there DRL's :lol:

I'm with you Kingo, hate DRLs.

Pointless and yet another unneeded distraction in my mirrors, and they look stupid, like the driver's stupidly forgotten to turn off their sidelights :lol:

They're a good thing for hard-to-see things like motorcyclists, but I'm already hating them on the VWs and Audis because they ARE distracting. I always get a flash of them in my mirrors and instinctively check my mirrors to see what it is - In the past this was important because it'd usually be a fast approaching motorcyclist so you could act accordingly, but as DRLs become more prevalent I'll not be able to spot them so easily!

Having had heated seats even being cloth this winter in the Fabia I wouldn't really want a new car without them may be a gimick to some but when its minus 14 and the car never warmed up despite being petrol on a 10 mile run they made a nice difference toasty hot in a matter of seconds :D. Also the anti hijack only requires you to go over 10mph once then locked for rest of the journey handy not having to remember to lock all doors everytime especially travelling though some interesting areas shall we say :s only takes one person at the traffic lights to try a door. In terms of some one gaining access when key is removed only the drivers door unlocks on mine with one press of remote so unless I press twice so no other door could be opened when I take keys out unless I have a crash when they all unlock.

Cruise is nice on long runs and again one of those features once you've had it you miss it. Small cars are very over priced top of range yaris is now 15K compared to about 12k for old model. Would like to have a go in the 1.33 7 speed cvt and see how it compares to current model and the Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg which when vat deal was on got with just about every option for £11k :).

Nice to see some cool colours on new Yaris as well, does anyone know if the panel on dash/ doors comes in different colours to match fabrics etc?

To be fair most manufactures are going down the rear drum brake set up as esp/ vsc can now work with them Fabia has same set up as do a lot of others now not a big issue most braking is biased to the front and drums are a lot cheaper to fit and maintain than discs.

Having had heated seats even being cloth this winter in the Fabia I wouldn't really want a new car without them may be a gimick to some but when its minus 14 and the car never warmed up despite being petrol on a 10 mile run they made a nice difference toasty hot in a matter of seconds :D. Also the anti hijack only requires you to go over 10mph once then locked for rest of the journey handy not having to remember to lock all doors everytime especially travelling though some interesting areas shall we say :s only takes one person at the traffic lights to try a door. In terms of some one gaining access when key is removed only the drivers door unlocks on mine with one press of remote so unless I press twice so no other door could be opened when I take keys out unless I have a crash when they all unlock.

Cruise is nice on long runs and again one of those features once you've had it you miss it. Small cars are very over priced top of range yaris is now 15K compared to about 12k for old model. Would like to have a go in the 1.33 7 speed cvt and see how it compares to current model and the Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg which when vat deal was on got with just about every option for £11k :).

Nice to see some cool colours on new Yaris as well, does anyone know if the panel on dash/ doors comes in different colours to match fabrics etc?

To be fair most manufactures are going down the rear drum brake set up as esp/ vsc can now work with them Fabia has same set up as do a lot of others now not a big issue most braking is biased to the front and drums are a lot cheaper to fit and maintain than discs.

That 1.2 TSi petrol turbo is a gem,refined and economical,it has diesel like torque right where you need it in the low and mid range. You only have to look at the figures to see. It it used throughout the VAG group from the Fabia/Polo up to the Yeti/Octavia. Trouble with most at the moment, there's a 6 month plus wait. As to the DSG transmission, the 1.2TSi's have a 7 speed dry type and it suits the engine to a tee. Try one and be amazed. Not sure this should be posted on a Toyota forum site.

Rear drum brakes are only normally found on budget city cars, I might stand corrected but is there another "Supermini" running low rent rear drums?

More like which ones don't have drum brakes? Fiesta, Corsa, Polo and Fabia all have rear drums. If you get to more expensive stuff like the A1 or MINI then you might find discs but I wouldn't consider and of the cars I mentioned above 'budget city cars'.

"Jazz all have rear drums"

No. The Jazz has rear discs as standard throughout the range.

"Jazz all have rear drums"

No. The Jazz has rear discs as standard throughout the range.

No driver's knee airbag on any Hondas such as the Jazz or the Civic, Insight, CRV, Accord. Would rather have my knees protected in an accident rather than worry if I have drum or disc brakes. Happy with my rear drum brakes

Drum brakes are OK. If they were not no manufacturer would use them!!

Drum brakes are OK but it's all down to cost and aesthetically they look a tad naff. As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

Apart from the Jazz, the Hyundai i20/ix20 all have rear discs - now I've always thought of Hyundai as a budget brand - Hmmm.

I'd like to know how Toyota got around this one instead of fitting integrated ones as standard?

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. The new daytime running lights law* means that all new cars must be fitted with the lights from 7th February 2011.

I don't drive around worrying about drum brakes and aethetically I care not one jot. DRLs? For posers :-)

Hopefully my current Yaris will last long enough until I can get a later one when it costs about 1/3rd of the new price so I am unlikely to have a car with DRLs for a few years..

But I suspect a hybrid Auris looms in 5 years time...

Yeah, I'd rather have drums than discs on my rears; Rear discs only get enough of a work out on bigger heavier cars to stop them just corroding!

As for the DRLs, again I hate hate hate them so the fact that they are an option is a plus IMHO.

I agree Cyker and also with drum brakes you get a more efficient and less complicated handbrake system due to the limited physical size of the unit on a small car. ;).

Regards .... Pete.

To all those saying DRLs have been the law since Feb 2011 - my neighbour has bought a brand new Ford focus,(in the new shape)and it has NO daylight running lights. So seems Ford aren't bothering to include the DRLs yet either.

Here they are

daytime_LED_running_lights.jpg

Look far better than those Audi's you see flying around :lol:

Look it's horses for courses, what matters to me doesnt matter to Joe Egg. I think they have done a very good job of it. No rear electric windows on models below T Spirit but you get Touch and Go which from a gizzmo point of view is outstanding, there has to be differences in models otherwise every supermini would be loaded and we would all be driving round in £14385 T Spirits......or top of the range Jazz's at £17245 (sniggers quietly) :naughty:

Saw the DRLs on an Audi today and they looked like a string of white fairy lights - cheap and tacky looking.

I have seen a couple of posts on here stating that 'The new daytime running lights law* means that all new cars must be fitted with the lights from 7th February 2011'. As far as I am aware this is incorrect, the legislation actually states that the DRLs must be fitted to all new types of car after that date. The 'new' Yaris is not a new type, it is an existing type. A 'new type' of Toyota would be something such as the FT86 or the EV.

Update on DRLs - In the run up to launch, all vehicles have to be approved for use in the UK (homologated). Vehicles homologated from 7 February 2011 are required to have daytime running lights as standard. The all new Yaris was homologated prior to this date. :)

Thanks for the update on that Lorna, I have been trying to find that out all day :lol: I knew there must be a logical explaination

The Google-Fu is strong with that one! :lol:

Thanks for the update on that Lorna, I have been trying to find that out all day :lol: I knew there must be a logical explaination

I bet you were through the lastest copy of Max Power mag for the info Kingo! :naughty::nono::king:

Pete ;).

for all those moaning about drl's which i hate!!!get your self on eBay and buy some super bright led capless side light bulbs fit them their you go turn your side lights on boom drls!!

as for the rear drums their is no need for disks on the rear of small cars their is no advantages either......

problems with disks on small cars...

disks corroding due to lack of effort applyed to the rear under braking

squeeking brakes due to the above

pads seizing in holders due to the above

cables have more chance of seizing

levers can seize when older

drums.....

shoes last a hell of a lot longer

better hand brake

cost less to maintain....

less parts to go wrong

if your a normal driver approx 5%-10% of braking is done by the rear so in a small car drums will cope better than disks.....

I bet you were through the lastest copy of Max Power mag for the info Kingo! :naughty::nono::king:

Pete ;).

Max AND Paddy power Pete :lol:

On a completely seperate off topic subject, I was getting a haircut on Saturday and was very pleased with the exceptional range of FHM mags at my barbers :naughty: Thought I would just share that useless info :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links