Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Gearbox - What Does "notchy" Mean?

oldie68

I've seen complaints of Yaris gearboxes being "notchy", but i don't really know what the word means in this context. I like a gearbox where you can feel the gears sliding together when you change gear. Sometimes described as having an action "like the bolt of a rifle".

On my Yaris 1.33 TR 2010, I have no problems changing up, the gears slide in very smoothly, with a positive feel.

Changing down, or into reverse, is completely different. Although changing from third to second isn't too bad, changing from 5th to 4th is always a bit unpredictable; it can go:

nice smooth change - about 5% of times

turns into "pudding stirring - about 5%.

For the remaining 80% (and also going into reverse most of the time) the gear lever moves, and then just stops, but without any positive feeling of having got anywhere. Invariably, when I let the clutch out, it is actually fully in gear, so I'm obviously worrying unnecessarily.

My fear is that I've only put the gear halfway in (if that makes sense), and when I let the clutch out, there'll be a horrible noise and all the teeth will come off the gears.

So which of these is the gears being notchy, or is that something entirely different?

Are my fears about stripping gears justified?

Are the "problems" with changing down and reverse entirely normal?

If not, can anything be done to correct the situation.

I should add that I've had three previous Toyotas for over five years each (1987 Carina, 1992 Corolla and 1999 Corolla). On each one there was a "crunchy" feeling changing from first to second. None of the gearboxes had any other problems while I had the cars.

My gears are fine :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it - though could you be a bit more specific about what you mean by 'fine'?

My gears are fine :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it - though could you be a bit more specific about what you mean by 'fine'?

Hi. I mean that I have never experienced any notchiness,unpredictable gear change or anything such as you describe. My car just changes gears no problem. This is my second Yaris and the first one was the same - no problems with gears (or anything else!).

Drove a Ka one time and a couple of its gears were very close together. Chevrolet matiz had gears from hell :angry:

As for the gears in both the Yarises I've had, the gears have always been smooth and troublefree. So not just fine but perfect :yes:

I had my Yaris modified in March this year. The gearbox was really good when the engine was warm. but when cold the change from 1st to second was very 'crunchy'. Since having it done it is now perfect at all times. :thumbsup:

I have the same problem with my 1.33 Auris which probably has the same gearbox. The change from 5th to 4th does the "pudding stirring" syndrome from time to time, never sure whether its in gear or not. Turns out it is although like you I can imagine bits of shredded gears appearing out of the engine. Seems to be worse the faster you are going. Now I double de clutch when changing down from 5th and its a lot better. All the other gears are fine. Put it down to having only covered 3 k miles, although I believe the linkage can be adjusted at the first service.

Lorna2 - so since you clearly understand what "notchiness" means, maybe you could explain it to me. :)

Bemused - thanks, I'll try double de-clutching. The main problem, of course, is that normally when I'm dropping from 5th to 4th I'm going at a fair speed, slowing for a roundabout or whatever, so not much time to remember how to do it.

I've got a service due next month, I'll ask the garage whether any adjustment can be made.

Notchy gearchange?

Hesitation when changing gear as if there is a light obstruction preventing free movement.

There are oils # specifically designed to help this if it's internal to the gearbox but sometimes it's the adjustment of the gearchange cables..

Castrol SMS -X is one... (I have used it and it does work,,)

I get the occasional 'crunch' or sometimes the partial refusal to go into reverse and it's just a case of dipping the clutch again but all other gears up & down are fine even with mine having a shortened stick/lever

It's strange that it only seems to happen on 5th-4th on yours and not on any other gear change, I'd guess with a little adjustment and tlc when it goes in for it's service should hopefully cure it :thumbsup:

Notchy gearchange?

Hesitation when changing gear as if there is a light obstruction preventing free movement.

Couldn't have put it better myself :thumbsup:

My Auris has a notchy gear box, its annoying but nothing i can't live with, iv'e read that changing the gearbox oil to Redline can help though.

I might discuss this with my service dealer when the next service is due, here's a link to Redline MT-90 75W90 GL4 gear oil: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7&gclid=CKfyiY3m8qoCFRBTfAodQirvQg

Here also is a link to a topic discussed on the Ausie TOC forum entitled gearbox-oil-and-gear-shifting-problems.

• 1 month later...

My 2010 Yaris 1330 TR 6 speed 12650 miles is notch between 1st and 2nd. The Toyota Agent fitted new cables but it has made little difference. I have complained again today by phone to the Agent and email to Toyota UK. Its still under warrantte so they can fix it. I will let you all know what had to be done. :angry:

Just an update ; I had the car serviced a week ago, and asked them to check the gearbox. I had to wait a while because they needed a technical bulletin from Toyota UK. However, car was ready just before rush hour, so I was keen to get away.

I found great difficulty getting into first gear... it was as though there were something just blocking it, stopping it from going in. Eventually, it did go into 1st, not without difficulty. On my drive home, it did seem as though the 5th to 4th problem was cured, though it was seemed to be worse going from 3rd to 2nd - I had to really wrench on the gearstick.

I was then away for a few days, without the car. When I tried it yesterday, there was no problem going into 1st gear...has something "settled down" while it's been standing on the drive? Moving down from 3rd to 2nd was still bad, though.

Another strange thing is that the stop/start system seems to have stopped working. It's not switched off, because in that case the light would show in the "eco off" switch (I think). I'm wondering if there's a sensor on the gearbox, to test whether it's in neutral, which hasn't been put back properly.

So it looks as though I'll be ringing the garage again on Monday.

Still awaiting a reply from Toyota and phone call from the garage. I will ask if changing the oil in the gearbox to a synthetic voids the warrantte.The shift was better yesterday,I think its temperature related hence the oil question. Otherwise a great little car, specially if you turn off the eco button.

I changed the oil this morning to Redline MT90. The owners guide don't even mention the gearbox but the label on the filler plug tells you to consult the handbook, !Removed! typical! I advise you to take no notice of the Filler/Drain locations on the net as they are wrong. The drain is on a plug with a hex keysocket on the base of the transmission unit, the filler/level behind a shield on the passenger wheel side. You will have to remove some of the screws from the shield to access the filler.

The capacity is around 3 Litres for the six speed unit. The shift is better than before when cold (11C) ,its still not as good as a Ford shift but better than it was.

Still no news from Toyota UK or the garage that sold it to me, does the parent company in Japan know what a bunch they really are?

:thumbsup:

I'd have to agree the Yaris gear box is a bit notchy, for want of a better term. I find getting to second I need to give the car plenty of time or it crunches horribly. Using the potato seconds technique seems to help it. 1 pot-a-to hold down clutch, 2 pot-a-to start to 2nd change gear, 3 pot-a-to slowly release clutch. 5th gear is a bit of a porridge stir also, so double-de-clutching or learning how the porridge likes to be stirred is mandatory.

Thought it was time for an update on my gearbox. I rang the dealer last Monday because the previous adjustment seemed to have cleared the 5th to 4th problem, but created a new one, whereby I often had difficulty getting into 1st from a standstill ... it felt as though there were a physical barrier stopping me.

I took it in on the Tuesday; a mechanic came out and tried the gearbox, without running the engine. He then asked me to wait for a bit, while he looked up some technical notices. The service manager came to me after about 10 minutes, told me there was another adjustment they could try, but not at that moment. So I booked it in for Thursday.

Took it in Thursday, they took it into the workshop ...after a while, the mechanic invited me into the workshop to show me what he'd done.

That's when I discovered that gear levers don't go directly into gearboxes any more; they connect to a set of cylinders, which have rods going forward into the gearbox. The effective length of the rod is conrolled by an adjustable lock nut, which he had to adjust to within a couple of mm.

He put the car back together and I drove it home ....what a difference! The gears all went in smoothly, without any problems. I even left the dual carriageway early, to get home via a set of roads with junctions and lights.

I must admit, one 5th to 4th change went a bit bad, but I think I'd tried to do it too quickly; you have to make gear changes smoothly but deliberately ...no rushing them.

So i'll just have to wait and see if the box stays that way.

In my case, then,it was nothing to do with the viscosity of the oil, or the state of the synchro, it was purely down to the adjustments on these rods.

Now I can only hope they stay smooth. According to the mechanic, there's a touch of clutch drag; the clutch can't be adjuted, so if it happens again, they'll put a new clutch in.

Glad its all worked out properly for you. With the new oil and adjusted cables mine is going just great. Not as good as Ford shift but as good as my old Yaris was, well almost.

• 1 month later...

Alas, contrary to my previous post its not going well at all now. The gear shift from first to second is as bad as ever when it gets warmed up.

I have been in contact with Toyota and played hell with them. They have re-directed me to another Toyota garage who were less than keen to take the warrantte job on. They now seem far keener to do the job after Toyota customer relations gave me a priority repair number and the Garage realised that Toyota were involved directly with me over this issue.

Toyota have suggested that is this is now in the hands of Toyota Technical (who live somewhere in Europe and take ages) that I have a loan car till its all sorted out, and if they could not give me one they should phone my contact at Toyota UK. After being told all this the garage have now agreed to a loan car

Its interesting though that if your gearbox develops a fault out of warrantte they (the garage) want to fit a new one. If its in warrantte they ( Toyota UK ) want to pee about rebuilding the old one. The garge then have to dismantle the unit, check it for wear, and order the bits they think are wrong, assuming that Toyota Technical agree with them. If this don't do the trick the garage so they told me don't get paid.

Me thinks - no way to run a business.

To be continued

Double de-clutching was made unnecessary in about 1950 when they invented synchromesh so having to do it now is evidence of a gearbox adjustment problem. You can change gear without the clutch most of the time if you are quick enough (try it and with a slight blip on the accelerator when you change down only). The problem is not to change the cables but to adjust them so you are in one gear or another when you change and it is synchronised with the gear lever and clutch pedal. I think the failure to fix this is evidence of the overall problem with Toyota and other cars these days. Mechanic training seems to be limited to reading error codes and changing modules rather than thinking and tinkering til things are right.

sceh

The old Jap built Yaris SR I had had a lovely gear shift. This French built 6speed box is totally different and has a very close gate.None of the gears select as freely as my old car but first to second is p-ss poor.

ds

Oldie - so glad yours is now sorted, even if it did take them a few attempts

Dogdays - I can't (well actually yes I can :rolleyes: ) believe the hassle you're now having, I just wish the manufacturers (not just Toyota) would admit to inherent problems and get them sorted

Got worse today as the Toyota garage cancelled out till Monday due to non availability of a loan car. Meanwhile my Ford Focus diesel broke down during the rush hour on the M25. Strangely after the AA got it sort of going, the Ford dealership took it in for a diagnostic for suspected EGR failure without a pre booking. I await their call. Ford seem better than Toyota.

Its in at the Toyota garage. They have given me a loan 2011 Yaris. The gear shift one this one is far better.Lets see what my one is like when I get it back.

Living in hope

dogdays

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links