Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Runflat Tyres. A Point Worth Considering

CharlieFarlie

You wheels look pretty good, do you mind if I ask where you got them and how much?

I got them from Jeff Fowkes, in Ibstock, Leicestershire - http://www.fowkesauto.com/

Can't remember the exact price, but it was around £800 (just under, I think) for 4 alloys and 4 Yokohama tyres.

Hi Simon,

I assume it was the 8x18 you opted for, having a look on their site now, says they were actually developed for commercial vans, so should be pretty strong wheels. No prices tho, will have to email them.

Regards Austin..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• wardude

• Big Kev

• Roadwrangler

German cars most likely to come fitted with a German tyre and they opted for the reinforced side wall type runflats.

Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s.

At the end-of-the-day, Toyota have put in place a tyre/ alloy/ support ring/ TPMS setup which is over-complicated and too expensive for your average punter to maintain when things go wrong with any part of it. There are simpler and cheaper solutions which are just as effective.

If you try and modify, it will affect insurance and future re-sale values if you trade-in. Whether you want to play caveat emptor with a private sale is up to your own conscience.

Big Kev - instead of snipping the pink wire, get an auto-electrician to make it up as a switch. That way you can get what you want, and when you come to sell the RAV, tell them its a feature they can take advantage of.

German cars most likely to come fitted with a German tyre and they opted for the reinforced side wall type runflats.

Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s.

At the end-of-the-day, Toyota have put in place a tyre/ alloy/ support ring/ TPMS setup which is over-complicated and too expensive for your average punter to maintain when things go wrong with any part of it. There are simpler and cheaper solutions which are just as effective.

If you try and modify, it will affect insurance and future re-sale values if you trade-in. Whether you want to play caveat emptor with a private sale is up to your own conscience.

Big Kev - instead of snipping the pink wire, get an auto-electrician to make it up as a switch. That way you can get what you want, and when you come to sell the RAV, tell them its a feature they can take advantage of.

Stonkful idea, Marsky....thanks....was going to put the Bridgestone Rings on to For Sale site, but may just hold fire as like Charlie says, the next owner or trade in place may have slight gripe that standard fitment not there. I have no intention to change the Rav in the foreseeable, and even have 4 new TPMS sensors in stock....what a saddo...!!!

If anybody can see any reviews on the V802 Yokohamas, please let me know....been on the go since 2005, so not exactly new tyre technology.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s.

Stonkful idea, Marsky....thanks....was going to put the Bridgestone Rings on to For Sale site, but may just hold fire as like Charlie says, the next owner or trade in place may have slight gripe that standard fitment not there. I have no intention to change the Rav in the foreseeable, and even have 4 new TPMS sensors in stock....what a saddo...!!!

If anybody can see any reviews on the V802 Yokohamas, please let me know....been on the go since 2005, so not exactly new tyre technology.

Hmmm........... ultra high speed SUV tyres eh Kev? You doing a Bothy??

Here's what some Aussies think:

LINK

LINK

Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s.

Hmmm........... ultra high speed SUV tyres eh Kev? You doing a Bothy??

Here's what some Aussies think:

LINK

LINK

Thanks Davrav....it's mainly their wet weather capabilities that interested me....we get quite a lot of that cloudy stuff and participation up here, don't ya know....? Varying reports on roadnoise causing mild concernment, though....

Noise Intolerant Kev

Going off topic slightly:

The EU are having a bit of a safety "drive" within the industry. They want to half the fatalities on Europe's roads. Debatable how much TPMS will help, but off the top of my head, I think it is 2014, when all new models (not new cars) will have to have TPMS (not runflats). So, best get used to it.

I quite like the idea of TPMS. I wouldn't mind having it. I'd prefer a pressure readout, rather than just a warning, but I suspect that won't happen much. Mainly because unless the normal changes in pressure are compensated for on the display, I suspect your average motorist (most of you on here are not "average" motorists), would get confused/concerned and resulting complaints would ultimately be more trouble than it is worth for the car maker. This kind of approach is very often taken.

I'd like some kind of spare wheel back too!

Interesting as 2014 is also the dead line for the existing manufacturers using TPMS systems to release the technical info on their systems! Whether that means a generic TPMS fault diagnosis may appear on aftermarket fault code readers, who knows.

There is plenty of aftermarket TPMS kits on eBay from about £70 upward, many offering individual wheel pressure readouts.

Regards Austin.

There are some days that I am so pleased I brought the "Cheapo version" i.e. the XTR with its tyre repair kit, ok I have a spare in the boot when I am travelling a bit furthur from home, but £130 a corner and available from pretty much any tyre shop is a blessed relief considering the pain you guys go though.

and no TPMS thingy....

Gus

There are some days that I am so pleased I brought the "Cheapo version" i.e. the XTR with its tyre repair kit, ok I have a spare in the boot when I am travelling a bit furthur from home, but £130 a corner and available from pretty much any tyre shop is a blessed relief considering the pain you guys go though.

and no TPMS thingy....

Gus

Aye Gus....plus over a hunner soveez if the Bridgestone Steel Ring gets gubbered (either by running it on a puncture, or a less than honest operative gubbers it on removal to fit a new tyre @ £220.00ish...!!!!)

As a matter of interest, I will be paying £165.00 "a corner" for these Yokohama V802's, so they'd better be goodeez....

Big Kev :unsure:

and no TPMS thingy....

Gus

But Gus that is exactly what We T180 owners end up with when We cut Our tyres of and simply replace them with tyres ordinair !! Plus We have all the Toys and high spec that comes with the T180......... We cut off the tyres and fit new ordinary. throw a tyre repair kit in the boot job done !!

Insurance is unaffected. Dealer come trade in ? Well to be honest I always sell privately as I have a loathing of Car Salesmen. So anyone buying will be unaware of the RFTs and be very happy or They will be aware of RFTs and the associated issues and be very pleased they are no longer on the car !!

Wee Charlie.

Big Kev,

I am worried, there is a little known folklore here in the Southern part of our Isles that you Northern geezers are careful with your dosh..... generous with your hospitality, and your Whiskey as long as I purchase the said amber liquid in the first place :drunk:

But the Geolanders G91A's are only £120 - £130 a corner and do well, mine have done 30k miles, are you sure your extra £140 is worth it?

Ignoring the mickey bit - it is a genuine question?

Gus

Big Kev,

I am worried, there is a little known folklore here in the Southern part of our Isles that you Northern geezers are careful with your dosh..... generous with your hospitality, and your Whiskey as long as I purchase the said amber liquid in the first place :drunk:

But the Geolanders G91A's are only £120 - £130 a corner and do well, mine have done 30k miles, are you sure your extra £140 is worth it?

Ignoring the mickey bit - it is a genuine question?

Gus

Very fair point well made, Gustavus, but hidden in the price differential of £35.00/corner is MrT's fitting charge for usage of his special secret RFT REMOVING MACHINERY. When we meet on Thursday as booked in, I will be making a very Scottish point that he was having to remove 2 under warranty regardless, so he will be further reducing the differential. I will also be doing some other Scottish HORSE TRADING THAT WILL SEE THE DIFFERENTIAL REDUCED EVEN FURTHER, BUT MUST KEEP THIS TO MYSELLUF FOR NOW.....

Editation: Forgot to also mention the obvious that 235.55.18 would also be at a premium over 17" tyres anywayhowz.

There is plenty of aftermarket TPMS kits on ebay from about £70 upward, many offering individual wheel pressure readouts.

True, but does anybody actually give a pressure readout with an OEM system or just a warning? I don't know, do any vehicles have it?

I suspect it will just be a warning for most - it would seem readouts cause far too much worry for people and therefore unnecessary hassle for VMs :D.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but how come Mt. T's managed to get this RFT situation so wrong? I used to run a BMW 5-series with RF's & TPM and never had any trouble of any kind with them. BMW has knocked out what must be thousands of cars with these systems and apart from whinges about ride comfort, they don't seem to have any underlying issues with owners. Certainly not like what I've seen on here.

I think there is a few considerations here, BMW's reasoning perhaps, how many BMW drivers are likely to get out and change their own flat tyre and ringing a breakdown service adds delays and inconvenience to their journey, fitting a run flat makes life simpler. German cars most likely to come fitted with a German tyre and they opted for the reinforced side wall type runflats. Where I work we have some BMW 'service cars' with RunFlats on, I think they state you can drive for 150 miles not exceeding 50mph, I don't know how many punctures the guys have had, but on 3 occasions the tyres have shredded and come off the rims!

Japanese built cars (by that I mean made in Japan) tend to fit a Jap tyre like Bridgestone (Chances are a Turkish built Corrola Verso has a European made tyre) The Mitsubishi Pajero I used to have came with Bridgstone Dueller A/T's which were a fantastic tyre and that particular pattern is only available in Japan! My T180 is a "made in Japan" Toyota (and I'd never buy a non Japanese built Jap car) When Toyota thought of joining the RunFlat club, the only one available was this Bridgstone system and it was only ever fitted to 2 cars I believe, the T180 Rav4 and one model of Lexus, as no other manufacturers adopted the system and at first Bridgstone refused to let any of the independent tyre shops (inc its own Partners) have the machine, costs stayed high and availability more or less at selected dealerships only.

Another consideration where the Rav4 is concerned, having a spare on the tailgate means the door opening is restricted which stems from the American market, something to do with the spare tyre not sticking out beyond the side of the car when the tailgate is open, which Toyota kept for the European market. On the T180 and other late model Rav's with no spare the tailgate opens fully allowing far better access to the 'cargo' area if your transporting something big in the back.

Regards Austin..

Can't comment on the RFTs but the back door not opening on a rav with a tyre on the back is a non argument. 10 mins max will have the check strap changed from 60deg to 90deg. First thing I did when I got me new motor. And it's braw!!!

Weblers

• 2 weeks later...

My T180 is currently in Kirkham Tyres and I think I will leave it there! :censor:

Can they put normal tyres on?

Toyota can do it for me today for £440 - One tyre £440 !!!!!!

Should I just keep a repair kit in the boot ?

Thank you for your help......this tyre game is new to me !

My T180 is currently in Kirkham Tyres and I think I will leave it there! :censor:

Yes,,,they can put on normal tyres, but there's a wee added complication....you have a tyre presure monitoring system (TPMS) which is individually triggered by a separate sensor unit built into each wheel. Your independent garage will more than likely require to cut your Runflats and their supporting internal rings off manually, in the absence of them having the "special machine" that Bridgestone and Toyota cooked up between them to fleece the recipients of this system.

(i.e. me and you...)

In cutting off the tyres and rings, it is possible they may damage one or more of your sensors, and these are not cheap, causing an annoying flashing light in your dashboard. I have personally decided to retain the TPMS system, but you do not need to....the sensors, even if not damaged, can be removed and a wee bit of work by an auto electrician can nullify the flashing light. (Well posted on t'forum already...) I had all mine done at a Toyota Main Dealer, so a lot

simpler scenario than you are having at Kirkham.

See also my reply to your original post...why £440.00 FOR ONE TYRE...? Were they towing your car to main dealer by Bentley Convertible...? As you can see, they've got ma wee Scottish dander up here...they are possibly presuming you need a tyre, internal steel ring, and extra VAT coz you're a woman...!!

Good luck in resolving, and spares come up all the time on eBay, or just buy a steel one...?

Keep in touch for any further assistification,

:thumbsup:

As I posted earlier on, Toyota made one big *****-up when they put their idea of run-flats on the T180.

Regards Clare

Yes,,,they can put on normal tyres, but there's a wee added complication....you have a tyre presure monitoring system (TPMS) which is individually triggered by a separate sensor unit built into each wheel. Your independent garage will more than likely require to cut your Runflats and their supporting internal rings off manually, in the absence of them having the "special machine" that Bridgestone and Toyota cooked up between them to fleece the recipients of this system.

(i.e. me and you...)

In cutting off the tyres and rings, it is possible they may damage one or more of your sensors, and these are not cheap, causing an annoying flashing light in your dashboard. I have personally decided to retain the TPMS system, but you do not need to....the sensors, even if not damaged, can be removed and a wee bit of work by an auto electrician can nullify the flashing light. (Wel ;) l posted on t'forum already...) I had all mine done at a Toyota Main Dealer, so a lot

simpler scenario than you are having at Kirkham.

See also my reply to your original post...why £440.00 FOR ONE TYRE...? Were they towing your car to main dealer by Bentley Convertible...? As you can see, they've got ma wee Scottish dander up here...they are possibly presuming you need a tyre, internal steel ring, and extra VAT coz you're a woman...!!

Good luck in resolving, and spares come up all the time on eBay, or just buy a steel one...?

Keep in touch for any further assistification,

:thumbsup: Just Blackpool !

They kept the system, and all seems well....just still in shock from paying the bill !

Least I'm supporting a local business I guess ;)

Definitely made the right decision with the xt5

But Weblers I can buy four Yokohamas for My T180for 480 quid and carry a tyre repair kit just like the very latest Rav on sale today.. Plus still enjoy the massive specification that comes with the T180....

The Tyre issue really is not that dificult to overcome.................. :rolleyes:

Yeah but with an 8 month old, the worst case scenario is the wife getting a serous puncture half way up the A9 in the middle of winter. The knowledge of having a spare on the back that can easily be changed is worth not having the extra bhp (she would do it herself). Also the fact that no one in Edinburgh (including Toyota) has the facilities to change RFTs then it could be seen as foolish to leave myself open to the risk.. Yes one can spend many hundreds of pounds to remove the rings however I just don't have that kind of spare cash right now. I'd also like to purchase some winter tyres this year if the budget allows!

Don't get me wrong tho WeeC, the T180 was quite far up the want list!!

Only cost me £50 to get my front two converted....not that bad.