Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

anyone has this problem for your IQ???

This happen to me recently on and off.

any idea?

thanks.

I did have something like that back in August. I went to Inchcape Guildford and they noticed a fault code. It was reset and it's been ok since. Just take it to your dealer for diagnostics test.

any idea?

thanks.

I did have something like that back in August. I went to Inchcape Guildford and they noticed a fault code. It was reset and it's been ok since. Just take it to your dealer for diagnostics test.

A re-set of the fault code alone would not cure the problem, have you any idea of what they did to fix the fault that caused the fault code?

I think the EGRV problem only applies to the 1.0l engines, as far as I know.

• 3 months later...

I have just taken delivery of a brand new 2012 multi drive IQ2 and after a week of driving it around, twice now on the motorway there has been a sudden decrease in power. It would not go more than 65mph with my foot flat to the floor.

I have phoned the dealer and they say that they have not heard of this problem but will look at it tomorrow, I have a feeling that it will not replicate the problem or that its something to do with my driving!

I am assuming that I should not be affected by the EGRV problem that people are reporting due to the age of my vehicle??

Hi Gordon, Welcome to the forum

I'd let the dealer have a look before guessing what the issue is. Could be a number of things but hopefully the car will have noticed the fault and recorded an error code they can read and diagnose the problem.

You didn't have the handbrake on did you? :D

Craig.

This thread reminded me of something that happened last week.

I had to go for a gap at a busy roundabout and for some reason the car seemed to "bog down" and not accelerate as I would have expected.

My car is one of the later IQs with the modified EGRV so rather than the engine itself not producing power, perhaps it was the traction control kicking in and preventing wheelspin (the road was very greasy) and therefore making it seem like the engine had bogged down.

It was a bit unnerving to say the least...I can handle wheelspin but not a sudden cut back in power when least expected or desired!

It is the only time in 3 years of IQ driving that I have experienced this, so it is not a big issue, for me anyway.

Mine is a manual Gordon, so I can't help in your case. Perhaps some other multi owners have experienced what you did?

John

any idea?

thanks.

A re-set of the fault code alone would not cure the problem, have you any idea of what they did to fix the fault that caused the fault code?

I think the EGRV problem only applies to the 1.0l engines, as far as I know.

It was back in August of last year, it's been fine since then.

Hi guys, thank you for your welcome to the forum.

I have just returned from the dealership and on the way over, the car was extremely sluggish, the engine idles at a very slow tick over. I have to say that it drove like a dog.

The mechanic went for a drive with me and it showed nothing on his diagnostics machine and then the sales manager also went out for a drive. It was not performing as well as it had but they both felt that it would benefit from some more driving in!

However, neither could explain the sudden loss of power on the motorway, going from a comfortable 75 to 50 and then struggling to reach 65 with my foot almost flat to the floor.

I will keep an eye on things over the next few weeks and update, hopefully it will correct itself as I only have 550 miles on the clock so far. Other than that, I love the car, its so much fun and so easy to park!

Welcome to the forum.

IMO you should return the car to the dealership.

Ask the Head Sales executive or the Head mechanic to take your new car for a week and you can get a Courtesy car

or a Demonstrator.

The car is not safe if it is not running and performing correctly and prone to a loss of power

& i would not accept it untill the fault is correctly dealt with.

They should not have allowed you to leave the Dealership with it.

*That is if there is a fault, i doubt there actually is.*

IMHO they should have asked if you Have read the owners manual and are running the car in easily for the first 1000 miles.

Car Sales people have a habit of never reading owners manuals theirselfs IME.

(If the car is not performing correctly, they can take a fuel sample & do tests and call in Toyota if they must, that is not for you to do.)

Contact Toyota UK by Email & Put your concerns in writing & demand a reply to confirm your notifications of problems.

They are aware of the reason for the faults previously & if there are now faults in cars Registered in 2012, they need to take them seriously.

Toyota and Toyota dealerships should well know by now to respond better to 'Safety Issues'.

All the best with it.

george

PS,

Have you had a brand new small car before with only around 15 miles on the clock?

&

have you read this iQ's Owners Manual properly, cover to cover,

about running in etc.

(or at least on how to use from new)

A new car & Constant speeds etc are explained if i remember correctly, from the manual i read.

I would not be doing a constant 75 on a motorway in a brand new car,

read about using the brakes in the first 1000 miles etc.

THe discs have a coating, the pads are new, the tyres are not settled/scrubbed in.

Tight/Tightning brakes from heating up can cause the brakes to bind in the first 1000 miles or even more.

Gentle run bearings and brakes and the iQ usually will perform nicely by 5000 miles or so.

I have had 2 ex demonstrators iQ's that were obviously not run in with any care and they were not good cars.

• 2 months later...

Its the EGR Valve, Toyota will replace it under warranty, mine is booked in for 19/05/12

Hello there

The fact your car just has come out of service. Is an indicator to me. When ever i dissconnect the Battery. My ECU looses its map memory. And when started and run, its like a pile of s**t. The idle is about 200rpm constantly hunting and rythmically goes up and down. Sometimes i have to drive it for a short distance and other times takes all day then it comes good and all is well again. Usually taking off the Battery for 30mins clears it. I am pretty sure thats your problem

David

Like I said previously the most comon fault for lacking power is the EGR Valve. As for the ECU, to reset your ECU you need to disconect the Battery for half an hour, reconect and turn your ignition to position 2 and leave it for 5 minutes then from that position start the engine without touching the accelerator and leave to idol for a further 5 minutes, turn off and its done. This method works with around 90% of vehicles.

Cheers Heathie

Saves me running around for about an hour with it trying to kill me.

David

Ok, just got mine back from Toyota tonight and after having a replacment EGR Valve fitted and all the other bits and pieces they have also replaced the Catalitic Converter.

The total cost to be charged to Toyota as a warranty repair is £998 including labour.

The car now runs as new with loads of torque, I'm now going to treat it to a K&N Filter to help with the mpg and torque.

• 2 weeks later...
402815366.jpgis this the old or new EGRV :help2:

Old.

If you look through the next thread "important if your warranty is about to run out" there is a link to a previous thread which has pictures of the later EGRV.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128369&st=15

As far as I know the problem only occurs on IQ1 and IQ2 models and not the IQ3.

John

Heathie i can tell you that fitting a K&N filtet as i did gave me lots of torque at 5k revs and will take you to 112mph and beyond but restricts it at pulling away from a standing start and takes a while to get up and go

David

I have decided not get the K&N Filter and have order a Blitz performane panel filter, I just have to wait a few weeks for it arrive from Japan.

I have decided not to get the K&N Filter and have ordered a Blitz performance panel filter, I just have to wait a few weeks for it arrive from Japan.

I have also modified my air intake box so that the air intake pipe now comes up from the bottom of the car and only brings in cold air from outside the car and will now not suck in warm air from inside the engine bay.

Thats a good move heathie. Can you discribe the mod you did on the air intake. Cheers

David

Pictures please... my good Sir.... :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi, everybody !

I have had several losses of power in the last year in my IQ 1000 year 2009. Having done 3 annual scheduled maintenance at the official dealer shop plus a chassis repair work after being hit by a truck I have claimed about this random loss of power at the dealer who always reported nothing.

I 've discovered from this forum that a Technical Service Bullettin was issued by Toyota in Agust 2011 adressing this loss of power specific problem in the earlier IQ's to a the EGR valve design , which was modified since Agust 2010 . I imagine that this TSB invite the deale to update with the new EGR the car a the first shop visit.

TheTSB page enclosed here is written in greek , it would be very important to me to have the full text translated in english , in order to understands its recommendations an sketches. Can anybody help ?

Hello Marines,

I went with this Greek sketch to my Dutch dealer and showed it to the man in the workshop.

This man recognized the sketch and it was not a problem at all to do the modification.

My IQ is from 2009 and was not the only one with this problem.

A friend had the same and her car is modified too.

But when you have the problem put it on a safety issue because it can be very dangerous.

Most people think you will start driving in a fast way.

If your car doesn't do this there is always a change to be hit by an other car.

I have to say the modification makes an other car of your IQ in a way of driving.

My part as been ordered hope to get it done this week

got this from the web

IQ: Technical Service Bulletin 17 Aug 2011 EG-0064T-0811-T-EN-IR (en)

Reduced engine power during take-off or acceleration from low speed

Hi every IQ owner !

I was yesterday at my Toyota Dealer her in Turin,Italy and asked the shop manager to see a copy of the EGR update Sevice Bulletin in italian or english, in order to show him the action taken the other Dealers in EU (i.e.valve replacement)

he told me that the TSB cannot be shown to customers , but is only for the shop and the replacement is based only on their judgment of power loss and ECU check up.

In any case , being my car out of the 3 years warranty. if they do the job I'd have to pay 1700 euro for the new part and labour . Alternatively he proposed to clean the older EGR for about 300 euros , always at my expense. I refused. So where can anybody provide a copy of this safety related TSB in english ? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links