Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

There are various posts & threads on the forum on the same subject.

What do you mean tho,

from starting off & accelerating,

or from 20/30 mph or faster type acceleration?

Was the engine still cold,

were you on a rough road surface?

Manual or CVT,

& what age of iQ?

Has the vehicle required or had its recalls, Brakes, steering or ECU?

Have you gone out & tried it having held in the switch for 5 seconds & switched off the VSC+ & TRC & ABS/EBD ?

Worth trying, & see if it still behaves the same.

george

I also have just had this happen to me last Saturday and once more during the week. It would have been cold engine, but not the usual slower cold engine, definite no acceleration no matter how hard you press the pedal.

Went away on it's own, usual route, flat even road.

Mine is a manual iQ2, reg June 2010. Joke is it was perfectly OK before it went in for first service and recall work about a month ago. Co-incidence ??

I... It would have been cold engine, but not the usual slower cold engine, definite no acceleration no matter how hard you press the pedal.

Mine is a manual iQ2, reg June 2010. Joke is it was perfectly OK before it went in for first service and recall work about a month ago. Co-incidence ??

Toyota can - MUST - help you.

We have several cars in Germany with this problem. (Austrian and Swiss drivers reporting too).

Have now spoken t o toyota in Southampton who advise that they are not aware og any iQs having acceration issues. Booked in for next Wednesday for testing.

However, as this is intermittent and has only happened 3 times in the last 8 days I am not holding out much hope. I am predicting already that it will come back with "no fault found".

Some owners on here have had a recall for an 'ECU update'

Can anyone explain,

was this to do just with the steering/brakes or did it include anything else concerning the engine?

george

Can anyone explain,

was this to do just with the steering/brakes or did it include anything else concerning the engine?

george

Some of us who had the ecu re-programmed for the steering recall were/are convinced the engine mapping had been changed in some way to give a little more low speed torque, but Kingo says he believes that is not the case based on what he has been told.

(Kingo is a Toyota parts expert and has his ear to the ground about such things)

Can anyone explain,

george

Some of us who had the ecu re-programmed for the steering recall were/are convinced the engine mapping had been changed in some way to give a little more low speed torque, but Kingo says he believes that is not the case based on what he has been told.

(Kingo is a Toyota parts expert and has his ear to the ground about such things)

Loss of power can be a clogged "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve" ...

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

One member of our Dutch iQ Forum, has had one replaced by Toyota... It seems it has to do with way of driving the car and the quality of the petrol....

The new EGR valve is different than the old one.. it seems it is a (an?) hardware update.

More Dutch info here:

http://iqforum.nl/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11045.70

http://www.verboom.net/blog/index_nl.html?single=20100426.0

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... iQ went into Toyota on Wednesday this week.

3 of their " guys" test drove it and couldn't replicate the problem.

On three separate occasions they actually implied that I didn't know how to drive it. Things like, it is only a 1 litre, and you have to rev higher than average etc etc.

Despite explaining this is my 2nd iQ, I have been driving them for 2.5 years and this is a new problem in the last 2-3 weeks even they guy who dropped it off basically said the same !!!!!!

What a bunch of ********. Is it 'cause I am a women.

It had been fine and I wondered if they had made some changes and sorted the problem, however, on my way home from work this evening it happened again.

Sadly I have lost my faith in the car and am seriously looking at alternatives. I can't rsk pulling out at a roundabout or junction and having the power of a snail !!!!

On three separate occasions they actually implied that I didn't know how to drive it. Things like, it is only a 1 litre, and you have to rev higher than average etc etc.

Despite explaining this is my 2nd iQ, I have been driving them for 2.5 years and this is a new problem in the last 2-3 weeks even they guy who dropped it off basically said the same !!!!!!

It had been fine and I wondered if they had made some changes and sorted the problem, however, on my way home from work this evening it happened again.

Sadly I have lost my faith in the car and am seriously looking at alternatives. I can't rsk pulling out at a roundabout or junction and having the power of a snail !!!!

Yes... thats very :dots: to you... if they react like a bunch of idi*ts... :disgust:

First)

Let them read the cars computer for any flaws...

Second)

Please let them (or somebody else / other dealer) look at the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve" ... :nerd:

All your car's symptoms are related to this...

Regards, Peter

Peter,

I agree with you.

Would a faulty "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve" show up as a fault code in the ecu?

The Scangauge I have(and the Garmin Ecoroute HD) can display fault codes if the engine is not behaving so you can diagnose the problem, but if the EGRV doesn't produce a code when faulty, it won't help.

Would a dealership not hook a car up to it's diagnostic equipment as a matter of course if an engine problem is reported?

If not, why not, that is what it is for, surely?

Three heavy footed "technicians" having a blast round the block for 5 minutes at high revs proves nothing.

Yes... thats very :dots: to you... if they react like a bunch of idi*ts... :disgust:

First)

Second)

Please let them (or somebody else / other dealer) look at the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve" ... :nerd:

Regards, Peter

peter

where is the EGRV on the IQ :wacko::help:

To those with the problem.

I am sure you will get the problem fixed & it will be the vehicle not your driving.

Tell Toyota & the Dealer in Writing & also by EMAIL,

of the problem & your & their need to get it resolved.

Send copies to anyone you can find, Media Department ect, then all car magazines & Newspaper editors.

Point out that to TOYOTA UK,

Then Make it clear to TOYOTA something they must already know from other vehicles problems that they were forced to take seriously,

'In the event of a serious or fatal accident, you can be sure that the coroners court will be reviewing the actions taken by TOYOTA & their part in any fataliies'.

Corporate responsibilty will fall upon TOYOTA & the Dealership if it is shown they did not take the reported incidents seriously & resolve the situation.

Does not matter if a male or female driver, there are some questions that should have been asked.

Just to check & so you have thought things through.

Have you noted how, when & where the lack of performance occurs?

Are you the vehicles only driver, or has another driver experienced this or a passenger that was present?

Where do you fill up with fuel, which fuel, what amount of fuel is in the tank when the lack of performace occurs?

(are you on a low tank?)

Does anyone else put the fuel in the vehicle other than you?

Has the fuel been tested/checked?

just common sense really, its just that not all drivers are sensible & neither are Garage/workshop employees.

If you can not get your vehicle fixed safely, you need to not drive it.

Contact TOYOTA UK, contact your local TRADING STANDARDS.

Drop the vehicle off parked in front of the TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS entrence with a notice clearly displayed saying.

'TOYOTA CAN NOT AND WILL NOT TRY TO FIX THIS FAULTY AND UNSAFE VEHICLE'.

If the vehicle is on finance, talk with the finance before doing anything, its their vehicle not yours.

You just have the legal & financal & safety responsibilities.

TOYOTA has the legal and moral responsibilty to deal with safety.

good luck.

george

First)

Second)

Regards, Peter

peter

Good question... I thought first it's underneath the car ...

But it is in the front....near the exhaust...near the catalyst...actually hard to see...

Open the bonnet and the it is in the middle. In my car I could not spot it very easy.

Here some pictures...

And also the new one is different than the original one... please notice...

The old one has the "ribbles" more in the direction of the catalyst..

These pictures are from the iQ owner who had it replaced.

New one: uitlaatgas-klep-.jpg

New one: uitlaatgas-klep-2-.jpg

This a picture of my car: Like the old situation...

Same direction... hardly noticable... I could not find it easy..

But if you see it... it's easy... lower your standpoint and look from front to the center of the car... there it is... just a metal-pipe.

DSC00129.jpg

Here you see it... that metal pipe..

DSC00131.jpg

And @ George... you are very right... yes...

And @ Tarquin... no I think it will probably not show on any computer read out.... But this hás to be done... for maybe it's something else!!

First)

Second)

Regards, Peter

peter

Good question... I thought first it's underneath the car ...

But it is in the front....near the exhaust...near the catalyst...actually hard to see...

Open the bonnet and the it is in the middle. In my car I could not spot it very easy.

Here some pictures...

And also the new one is different than the original one... please notice...

The old one has the "ribbles" more in the direction of the catalyst..

These pictures are from the iQ owner who had it replaced.

New one: uitlaatgas-klep-.jpg

New one: uitlaatgas-klep-2-.jpg

This a picture of my car: Like the old situation...

Same direction... hardly noticable... I could not find it easy..

But if you see it... it's easy... lower your standpoint and look from front to the center of the car... there it is... just a metal-pipe.

DSC00129.jpg

Here you see it... that metal pipe..

DSC00131.jpg

And @ George... you are very right... yes...

And @ Tarquin... no I think it will probably not show on any computer read out.... But this hás to be done... for maybe it's something else!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks :P

That is excellent information Peter, thanks for keeping us informed.

I checked mine this morning and luckily I seem to have the later EGRV fitted.

My pics:

post-33806-0-07437900-1315734474_thumb.j

post-33806-0-75043100-1315734485_thumb.j

That is excellent information Peter, thanks for keeping us informed.

I checked mine this morning and luckily I seem to have the later EGRV fitted.

My pics:

post-33806-0-07437900-1315734474_thumb.j

post-33806-0-75043100-1315734485_thumb.j

So... Johnan..

So....it turns out I have the old type........ :angry:So...

I will wait and see what happens...

I hope to find out when this is changed in the iQ... So when did Toyota decide it would be better to fit the iQ with this newer thing..

Was it possibly with the change from Euro 4 to Euro 5?

george

Seems likely, but if it is a safety related thing, such as losing power just at the point of needing it for example, then the change should have been made as soon as the problem was identified.

If not a recall item, these EGRVs should be changed as a matter of course to the newer version during a service, whether a fault is reported or not.

Was it possibly with the change from Euro 4 to Euro 5?

george

Seems likely, but if it is a safety related thing, such as losing power just at the point of needing it for example, then the change should have been made as soon as the problem was identified.

If not a recall item, these EGRVs should be changed as a matter of course to the newer version during a service, whether a fault is reported or not.

Yes.... you are very right!!!

Hope that it happens... although I do not think the best of it... Knowing Toyota.... for Toyota it's all cost efficiency...

Peter...

• 2 weeks later...

So..... after my car had been in to Toyota and the implication that I didn't know how to drive it, I called to ask if they had checked the EGRV.

Advised " not on that model although if it had been a different model it would have been checked).

So I booked it back in for next week and today planned to call another dealer to see if they had any similar reported issues.

Surprise, surprise I got a call from the dealer today to say they have just received a bulletin that loss of power could be due to problems with the EGRV on iQs. The bad news is it was booked in next week but apparently they won't get the new part in until 3rd October.

So I have to wait another week but at last there may be a solution, as suggested here on this site :)

Funnily enough I have experienced this twice now, thought it very odd. But it happens so so rarley that I have put it down to randomness. I think both times it has happened once the engine was stone cold and the other time the fuel tank was empty, so put it down to that. If I take it in for this this will be the 4th issue under warranty I have taken it back for within 9 months.