Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

So..... after my car had been in to Toyota and the implication that I didn't know how to drive it, I called to ask if they had checked the EGRV.

Advised " not on that model although if it had been a different model it would have been checked).

So I booked it back in for next week and today planned to call another dealer to see if they had any similar reported issues.

Surprise, surprise I got a call from the dealer today to say they have just received a bulletin that loss of power could be due to problems with the EGRV on iQs. The bad news is it was booked in next week but apparently they won't get the new part in until 3rd October.

So I have to wait another week but at last there may be a solution, as suggested here on this site :)

Glad to hear you will be getting it fixed.

I do hope it is fixed.

And Dizeee, mine is random too. Was great for about 10 days since it last went into garage and then had the same problem this week.

No reason, can be hot, cold, after dual carriageway driving, town driving, damp weather or dry. That's part of the trouble, it is so unpredictable making it more dangerous.

And mine has been in for previous recalls, although I left them til first service and they did everything together.

Mine has the old style pipe, but I've not noticed any problems accelerating (probably due to my heavy foot and addiction to rev's :D). I also tend to use super unleaded and like to throw in a bit of Redex whenever I can get it cheap. I'll have keep an eye on things to see if any thing like this happens though, just in case. Mine is Euro 4 1.0L (not sure if the 1.33 would have the same problem or not, as I'd assume it used a different EGR valve altogether). It will be interesting if Toyota does issue another recall...

If not a recall item, these EGRVs should be changed as a matter of course to the newer version during a service, whether a fault is reported or not.

Not sure this would work, what about customers who use independent garages for servicing?

Mine has the old style pipe, but I've not noticed any problems accelerating (probably due to my heavy foot and addiction to rev's xD). I also tend to use super unleaded and like to throw in a bit of Redex whenever I can get it cheap. I'll have keep an eye on things to see if any thing like this happens though, just in case. Mine is Euro 4 1.0L (not sure if the 1.33 would have the same problem or not, as I'd assume it used a different ERG valve altogether). It will be interesting if Toyota does issue another recall...

If not a recall item, these EGRVs should be changed as a matter of course to the newer version during a service, whether a fault is reported or not.

Not sure this would work, what about customers who use independent garages for servicing?

That is one of the problems with using an independant garage, they won't have access to the Toyota service bulletins with info on minor or greater tweaks that may be advised should be done to the car, short of recall work.

At least I am assuming that is the case, perhaps Kingo could confirm if he reads this?

(probably due to my heavy foot and addiction to rev's xD). I also tend to use super unleaded and like to throw in a bit of Redex whenever I can get it cheap.

I agree with you Kip.... I am also a addictionist to rev's B) I use the CVT as a clutch... from D to S and to B .... B = would be Hill's... S = sports D = you know..

You can really use an enginebrake this way when coming to a corner... and when decelerating, you can use the B up to 80 kilometers/hour... and then go to S... revving in up... :drool:

... AND I really ONLY put Shell V-Power in the machine...Hoping the problem will stay away thisway...

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after 2 delays due to not having available parts my car went in last week to sort out the loss of acceleration problem.

Got it back Thursday and it was perfect til today when on the way to work and on the way home I had the same issues.

I have lost faith in the car I loved so much that I have had 2 of them.

Been out and looked at some alternative and after having looked at a number of small cars (Citroen DS3, Audi A1 among them) seriously considering the Alfa Mito, getting some quotes today for finance options. Just hope it adds up !

Make sure you drive a Mito before making a commitment.

I was pleased they messed up getting me a TCT last winter.

(i stopped the order after 16 weeks when there was no sign of it being built.)

Driven one since & hated it.

SWMBO has a 180 BHP A1 with DSG,

loved the interior & driving it, now i dislike it.

Just bought a demonstrator Fabia estate VRS for myself, saved 5 grand over the A1.

Really drives much better than the A1, love it like i did the iQ's.

george

Well, after 2 delays due to not having available parts my car went in last week to sort out the loss of acceleration problem.

Got it back Thursday and it was perfect til today when on the way to work and on the way home I had the same issues.

I have lost faith in the car I loved so much that I have had 2 of them.

Been out and looked at some alternative and after having looked at a number of small cars (Citroen DS3, Audi A1 among them) seriously considering the Alfa Mito, getting some quotes today for finance options. Just hope it adds up !

Please clarify. Were all the parts related to the EGR valve replaced ?

You still have this issue with power loss ?

Thanks,

Nick.

Just spoken with Toyota, Explained problem recurred yesterday, although has been fine since the car was returned to me on Thursday.

They have NOT replaced the EGRV. They said they replaced gaskets, and Exhaust pipe, something to do with the CAT. Added they have had a couple of others with the problem and after doing the above work they have not come back with any further issues !

Chap I spoke with is going to speak to workshop manager and get back to me.

I will check out type of EGRV I have when I can access the car during daylight.

Not happy ! Definitely in the throws of changing. On the plus side Toyota Finance have said they can assist with any car so to contact them with any offers so they can beat them :)

Just spoken with Toyota, Explained problem recurred yesterday, although has been fine since the car was returned to me on Thursday.

They have NOT replaced the EGRV. They said they replaced gaskets, and Exhaust pipe, something to do with the CAT. Added they have had a couple of others with the problem and after doing the above work they have not come back with any further issues !

Not happy ! Definitely in the throws of changing. On the plus side Toyota Finance have said they can assist with any car so to contact them with any offers so they can beat them :)

For what it's worth, over the last couple of years of IQ ownership, I have had 2 questions about the car that the dealer couldn't/wouldn't help with so I wrote to Toyota GB head office with my questions and in both cases I received a prompt written reply which answered my questions completely.

I think you can also e-mail them but that perhaps does not carry so much weight.

This power lack, just when you need, is a safety issue and head office must know about it and be able to tell you what needs to be done.

I thought it was accepted it was the EGRV that needs to be changed, so why would they mess about with everything else.

Strange.

For what it's worth, over the last couple of years of IQ ownership, I have had 2 questions about the car that the dealer couldn't/wouldn't help with so I wrote to Toyota GB head office with my questions and in both cases I received a prompt written reply which answered my questions completely.

I think you can also e-mail them but that perhaps does not carry so much weight.

This power lack, just when you need, is a safety issue and head office must know about it and be able to tell you what needs to be done.

I thought it was accepted it was the EGRV that needs to be changed, so why would they mess about with everything else.

Strange.

All guess work again. Change everything til you find it. EGRV was superseded for a reason. Hopeless

David

Hello all,

I visited my dealer today on this issue.

They placed an order for the parts.

Some of them are not readily available, so i am waiting from them to fix the date for the repair.

Will keep you posted.

PS: My location is Athens, Greece. All info posted in this forum is however VERY useful !

Thanks, Nick.

Hello all,

I visited my dealer today on this issue.

They placed an order for the parts.

Some of them are not readily available, so i am waiting from them to fix the date for the repair.

Will keep you posted.

PS: My location is Athens, Greece. All info posted in this forum is however VERY useful !

Thanks, Nick.

Nick, Are you saying you are having the same problem then? EGRV

David

David

Yes I do. I got my IQ (new) on July 2009. As i have been told by my Toyota dealer, its manufacture date was in December 2008.

The EGRV problem affects all IQs produced before June 2010.

Nick

David

Yes I do. I got my IQ (new) on July 2009. As i have been told by my Toyota dealer, its manufacture date was in December 2008.

The EGRV problem affects all IQs produced before June 2010.

Nick

My first IQ was bought in Feb 09 but obviously made in 08 but luckily did not show these symptoms before I traded it in and bought my current one.

The first had done 18000 miles of mainly round town driving, ie lowish revs, pootling about.

I wonder what causes the problem and why they don't think it warrants a recall, it surely puts the car in a dangerous state if it won't accelerate when expected to.

Mine is the old style. So Nick are you saying that in Athens you kind of tell the dealer that you have heard there is a problem with the old type EGRV and they change it for you to the new version? On your say so.

Well John if it is high revving causing it to fail then mine will be in there soon

David

Mine is the old style. So Nick are you saying that in Athens you kind of tell the dealer that you have heard there is a problem with the old type EGRV and they change it for you to the new version? On your say so.

Well John if it is high revving causing it to fail then mine will be in there soon

David

=============

@David

Well, not just by telling them that you've heard about it.

In my case, i started commenting on random power losses about six months ago.

In August 2011 there was a Technical Bulletin issued by TOYOTA giving instructions on how to repair this specific issue.

In September I went there for servicing a Yaris that belongs to another family member, and asked if there was anything new regarding my problem.

I was pleased to hear that they had received this bulletin and that they were going to fix mine within the next month.

Today it was about time to go there and arrange for it.

I suppose that UK dealers are aware of this bulletin (at least those that study their homework).

[ In Greece most dealers do not care ]

If UK dealers are better than Greek ones then i suppose the solution is straightforward.

Part of the Bulletin is attached (sorry it is in Greek)

However you can see the new part type drawing [the one on the right]

The VIN number seen in the table is the one of the first vehicle that was fitted with the new part.

So, all VINs before this one are eligible for change.

Effective date of improved production was JUNE 2010.

It is also clearly stated that production was modified from EURO 5 models onwards.

I hope that I've helped somehow.

post-98649-0-15966800-1319734763_thumb.j

Nick

Djezus Creepers ........ ironpyrite ...

Thank you very much... :thumbsup:

Do I see that it bypasses the exhaust piping ... VS the first mode?

Makes it easy to see if your (ours) car has been upgraded...

My model iQ is from April 2010.. and I rev it very high... must look at the engine..

Did not notice that the piping went to a different place... :eek:

Also .. seems that the left has no wiring on top.... or is it just taken away?? Looks like that...

When I look at mine it seems the wrong one...

It ends in the UPPER region...

DSC00131.jpg

Peter

Djezus Creepers ........ ironpyrite ...

Thank you very much... :thumbsup:

Do I see that it bypasses the exhaust piping ... VS the first mode?

Makes it easy to see if your (ours) car has been upgraded...

My model iQ is from April 2010.. and I rev it very high... must look at the engine..

Did not notice that the piping went to a different place... :eek:

Also .. seems that the left has no wiring on top.... or is it just taken away?? Looks like that...

When I look at mine it seems the wrong one...

It ends in the UPPER region...

DSC00131.jpg

Peter

Yours is the same as mine Peter

Have you been round my house peeking?

David

Ha ha ... looks like them Yaps have made multiple copies of the same model ... damn ...Yaps .... (funny word)... :ffs:

I have the same kind of loss in acceleration when pushing the clutch at maximum. When I adjust the strenght on the clutch with my foot (as when I turn off ASR) there is no loss of power : first pushing the clutch at maximum and then reduce the strenght and progressivly increase the strenght on pushing the clutch...

I hope you could understand what I said because I'm french and I'm not sure I'm speaking right LOL

Never quite sure when reading 'power loss under accerleration' threads on Forums if everyone is aware of a vehicle loosing power because of an engine/ecu type fault,

& a vehicle opersating as designed with 'Traction Control' that can kill power to stop wheel spin & loss of Traction.

2 very different things.

Not Saying that the Traction Control power cut is good,

in fact in my opinion it can be dangerous.

Worth taking your vehicle out & getting to know it in different conditions,

try 'Electric assistance, on, off, at differnt types of speeds in a safe envioroment.

The iQ loss of power is something that can easily be felt and is very different in my experience from a 'Loss of Traction vehicle controled power cut/reduction.'

george

I have the same kind of loss in acceleration when pushing the clutch at maximum. When I adjust the strenght on the clutch with my foot (as when I turn off ASR) there is no loss of power : first pushing the clutch at maximum and then reduce the strenght and progressivly increase the strenght on pushing the clutch...

I hope you could understand what I said because I'm french and I'm not sure I'm speaking right LOL

Sorry... but I do not understand what you mean with "pushing the clutch"...

Did you mean "the accelerator" ??? Ahh... now I see that your French.. sorry...

But do you not mean that, in your case, the electronics take "over the control" as a precaution...

When on a very wet tarmac or dirt road... and when full power is applied .. you feel a kind of gripping in the powerline.... it's cut down...

OK .. we need to know at what moment the loss of power exists...

Peter

EGR and relevant parts were changed today.

Will post facts on course of testing.

Stay tuned ...

One week later:

Engine is surely more powerful and you can feel its torque (which had disappeared for about two months)

Consumption is being under assessment. It seems to have improved however.

Will come back with more info soon ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links