Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving The Rav4 Into Hurricane Irene

junebug1701

I read this harrowing account on RAV4World and thought about webleymk3 and his puddle incident:

Today, 09:22 AM

Rav4Drummer

Hurricane - deep water Rav4

I work for the local power company on Long Island and had to get into work right smack in the middle of Hurricane Irene. It was a wicked scary ride and at one point in my travels I hit a huge puddle, or more like a lake ! It was on the Long Island expressway and very dark traveling about 45 to 50 mph, I was scanning for flying debris as I was driving and all of the sudden I was in a plunge like a log flume ride ??? It slowed me to almost a complete stop and I could just about feel my Rav floating and bobbing, heart pounding.....I tapped the gas and was amazed that the engine was still running after the plunge? After floating across for about 5 seconds ( which felt like forever ) I gave it gas and felt the tires making traction on the pavement underneath pulling me out and in the clear.

I thought I was going to be stranded on the road at the height of this hurricane but my trusty little Rav4 saved the day !!!.......and possibly my life ? I gave the Rav a quick look over and has been running fine since, but I was wondering if water could have got into the transmission and maybe a fluid change would be needed ? (15000 miles on her now ). Also not sure if the Rav tranny is vented and where the vent would be located being a point of water access.

I read this harrowing account on RAV4World and thought about webleymk3 and his puddle incident:

Today, 09:22 AM

Rav4Drummer

Hurricane - deep water Rav4

I work for the local power company on Long Island and had to get into work right smack in the middle of Hurricane Irene. It was a wicked scary ride and at one point in my travels I hit a huge puddle, or more like a lake ! It was on the Long Island expressway and very dark traveling about 45 to 50 mph, I was scanning for flying debris as I was driving and all of the sudden I was in a plunge like a log flume ride ??? It slowed me to almost a complete stop and I could just about feel my Rav floating and bobbing, heart pounding.....I tapped the gas and was amazed that the engine was still running after the plunge? After floating across for about 5 seconds ( which felt like forever ) I gave it gas and felt the tires making traction on the pavement underneath pulling me out and in the clear.

I thought I was going to be stranded on the road at the height of this hurricane but my trusty little Rav4 saved the day !!!.......and possibly my life ? I gave the Rav a quick look over and has been running fine since, but I was wondering if water could have got into the transmission and maybe a fluid change would be needed ? (15000 miles on her now ). Also not sure if the Rav tranny is vented and where the vent would be located being a point of water access.

Wow, amphibious RAV.

Just goes to prove our water is stronger than that over the pond,thats all !!! :thumbsup:

Del

Just goes to prove our water is stronger than that over the pond,thats all !!! :thumbsup:

Del

And of course They have more of it than Us ...................................... :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

Del

And of course They have more of it than Us ...................................... :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

You think the ravs over there are maybe better equipped to deal with the water as it continued afterwards?

I was gonna say are they designed any different to the RAVs over here??

No not really. The intake is in almost exactly the same place on all models - curled backwards down the back of the Battery. They will wade with water above the transmission so no probs there either - as long as it isn't left standing submerged.

What I want to know is this. Is anybody going to be brave enough to tell Anchs that if he wants to paint brakes orange it might be preferable to do the caliper rather than the disc? :unsure: :P

I know - it's a dull glow, a bit like this post of mine.

Crikey. Just read this. Lucky git! I have a photo of the air intake which is basically a scoop facing backwards behind the left light cluster. On the iPhone just now so canny upload photies... The pipe from the scoop to the engine/turbo is like a U-bend in yer bathroom with a drain in the bottom. Any water dribbling in should drain oot!

He may have got away with it as he didn't drop it down a gear but let the car stop/float. Toyota said the death of mine was when I dropped a gear taking the revs up and kicking in the turbo which sucked the water in. The wee drain had no chance!

Weblers

Just a point to note that they don,t do Diesel Rav 4,s in the USA.They are longer wheelbased and I think have 2 petrol versions, including a V6. If I am not wrong I think the US version is actually built in the States as well.

Regards Clare

Just a point to note that they don,t do Diesel Rav 4,s in the USA.They are longer wheelbased and I think have 2 petrol versions, including a V6. If I am not wrong I think the US version is actually built in the States as well.

Regards Clare

And I believe that they do a 7-seat option as well in the US - lucky sods. If I want 7 seats with a Toyota Badge I'm stuck with a boring Verso or horrendously expensive LC. Maybe that's why I'm considering a Santa Fe...... Mr. T needs to get his UK act together in this respect.

Regards Clare

And I believe that they do a 7-seat option as well in the US - lucky sods. If I want 7 seats with a Toyota Badge I'm stuck with a boring Verso or horrendously expensive LC. Maybe that's why I'm considering a Santa Fe...... Mr. T needs to get his UK act together in this respect.

Preach it brother!!

Regards Clare

Yes, Toyota won't let us have a diesel OR turbo in the Americas. We have a slightly longer wheelbase and 2 petrol engines, the 2.5L I4 2AR-FE and the 3.5L V6 2GR-FE. My 2008 was built in Japan, but about half of them have been made in Ontario, Canada since the Woodstock plant went online in November of 2008.

The longer wheelbase allows more room in the boot, and the option of the 3rd row seats, which are small, uncomfortable, and really only suited for little kids.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links