Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Don't Believe It!

Paulus17

Well after all i have been going on about getting these Nexen tyres and getting em through quick and fitted,SWMBO came home from work tonight and both tyres were almost flat :eek:

Any idea why this could be folks??

They surely can't both be punctured or both valves are leaking,can they :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulus17

• CharlieFarlie

• firemac

• crofter

As we can't see or do any checks it could either fault or somebody has deflated them.

Not much we can do for you I'm afraid.

Thanks James.

Somebody letting em down could be a possibility i suppose.

The car wasn't used all weekend since Saturday morning in fact and has been in the garage since then till today.

I didn't notice they were low this morning when she drove off.

I've managed to blow em both up now so will check again in the morning.

Thanks James.

Somebody letting em down could be a possibility i suppose.

The car wasn't used all weekend since Saturday morning in fact and has been in the garage since then till today.

I didn't notice they were low this morning when she drove off.

I've managed to blow em both up now so will check again in the morning.

Look for two things Paul...

1. The famous corrosion of Toyota alloys, especially near the rim that the tyre seals on (or kerbing, by previous owner, naturally....)

2. Where the incorrect STEEL balance weights have been hammered on to your alloys can cause a "reaction" and eat away at the alloy rim, in time letting oot the air. Sometimes even the Quickest of Fitters knock a chunk out of alloy wheel rims in attaching the balance weights....I detect a rodent that you have just had two tyres fitted, and now dos puncturos, as they say in Germany. Pumpez uppy and return to fitter of tyres, methinks.

Is that not THREE things....?

Bon Chance,

Big Kev :unsure:

Big Kev beat me to it by 8 minutes ---- I'd go for the corrosion, but the weights is a good call.

If they are low in the morning try a fairy liquid bottle with a drop of fairy and topped off with water. squirt this near the valves and any suspect areas....You will very soon see bubbles if leaks are present... It could have been Kids messin around ??

Wee Charlie.

Merci grande Kev et B-B :D

I did notice where the old weights had been on the wheel and some corrosion starting.

If it is leaking through the rims what is the solution,new wheels :eek:

Charlie.Kids playing about it could be.Reason been is that SWMBO,and other members of staff, have been asked not to park where she/they park at work,which is on a public road due to complaints from the local residents,but mainly the school,as parents have complained they are taking too many spaces up!!!

But swmbo been swmbo as carried on parking there??

Seen this happen in my local indie where peeps have had tyres fitted elsewhere,they leaked on the rim.

All they then did was remove the tyres,a wire bush around the inside of the rim and a coat of paint applied.

When dry,tyre refitted and wallah,prob solved :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del

Seen this happen in my local indie where peeps have had tyres fitted elsewhere,they leaked on the rim.

All they then did was remove the tyres,a wire bush around the inside of the rim and a coat of paint applied.

When dry,tyre refitted and wallah,prob solved :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del

Quality French from mon ami d'Angleterre...."wallah"...be warned....this WILL be used again.

Grond Keveen :lol:

Excuse my ignorance,but is that a Char Wallah,or a Punka Wallah?

BJK

I would have thought it more likely that they are leaking around the bead. If they are weak enough to be porous they sound dangerous to me!!!

A good tyre centre should reseal them OK.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Well they have gone down over night.I put them up to pressures last night and there was about 15lb in each tyre.

Trouble is we won't be able to get it to a tyre place until Friday the earliest.

I thought they always rubbed the rims down with a wire brush and put that coating paint on???

I'm thinking now it's because we didn't buy the tyres from them!!!!

Kev no more french from me guv,thats just about all i know :D

Edit-:

Charlie i done the washing up liquid test and couldn't see any significant bubbles appearing.??

When Mrs Paulus is oot take one if said wheel af' yer motor and stick it in a bath full of water. If there is a leak that'll show where its comin' fae!

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Well they have gone down over night.I put them up to pressures last night and there was about 15lb in each tyre.

Trouble is we won't be able to get it to a tyre place until Friday the earliest.

I thought they always rubbed the rims down with a wire brush and put that coating paint on???

I'm thinking now it's because we didn't buy the tyres from them!!!!

Kev no more french from me guv,thats just about all i know :D

Edit-:

Charlie i done the washing up liquid test and couldn't see any significant bubbles appearing.??

Significant or Bubbles at all ?? Any indication from either the valves or the Rims will point You in the right direction. Mate it should just be a removal of tyre clean of the bead area and re seal.. This should have been the way of a competent Tyre Company anyway...

So take it to a decent Company or take it back to where You got them fitted... I fear the Folk Who fitted them maybe had little interest as I believe You mail ordered them thereby They made no profit on the tyres themselves ?

As for nor being able to get them done for a few days. Well its either get them done or its a safety risk. Having read Your previous posts I cannot see You or Yours taking risks with under-inflated tyres. Unless You leave it parked up of course ...

Wee Charlie.

We have always used this tyre place,as it's local-ish and they have always given us good service,even doing some jobs for free in the past.

But i have just phoned em up and told em whats happening and he remembered me straight away,saying i was the guy who brought my own tyres in, and said it was not seating properly on the wheel which is a major problem with RAVs and most Japanese makes,says he to thee???

It will need about five layers of paint to get a good seal and we would have to leave the wheels with em over night to do it.

So why didn't they do this to start with if its a common problem,and why didn't the old tyres go down??

Am i having the wool pulled over my eyes some what??

Oh it will be about £10 a tyre.!!!

We have always used this tyre place,as it's local-ish and they have always given us good service,even doing some jobs for free in the past.

But i have just phoned em up and told em whats happening and he remembered me straight away,saying i was the guy who brought my own tyres in, and said it was not seating properly on the wheel which is a major problem with RAVs and most Japanese makes,says he to thee???

It will need about five layers of paint to get a good seal and we would have to leave the wheels with em over night to do it.

So why didn't they do this to start with if its a common problem,and why didn't the old tyres go down??

Am i having the wool pulled over my eyes some what??

Oh it will be about £10 a tyre.!!!

He's full of the proverbial BS - nothing particularly wrong with seating bead on Jap wheels. The finish on their alloys, now that's a different matter.

Before you go spending more money with them it might be worth checking that the internal bit of the valves is screwed in properly - if they're slack at all, you'll lose pressure. If you don't have the tool (or a bicycle tyre repair kit - there's usually one in them), pop along to Halfords and buy one. They're only a couple of quid.

2. Where the incorrect STEEL balance weights have been hammered on to your ALLOYS can cause a "reaction" and eat away at the alloy rim, in time letting oot the air. Sometimes even the Quickest of Fitters knock a chunk out of alloy wheel rims in attaching the balance weights....I

Big Kev :unsure:

that's why on my wheels NO balance weights hammered on but ONLY weights glued on :yes:

same goes for those impacked air guns on locking wheel nuts (or on any wheel nuts!) :ffs:

Thanks Jim.

I think you might be right about the BS!!!

Thinking of it now they were unusualy quiet when they fitted the tyres and had that couldn't careless attitude.

This i just put down to a bad morning for em,but i suppose it is because i bought the tyres from elsewhere??

I did phone beforehand to make sure they were ok doing this and they were fine about it,on the phone.

Trouble now i am thinking are all tyre fitters gonna treat us the same if we do go elsewhere??

What do you call a decent tyre fitter.Kwik fit??

What is the valve tool you mention.I might have one??

Thanks Jim.

Thinking of it now they were unusualy quiet when they fitted the tyres and had that couldn't careless attitude.

This i just put down to a bad morning for em,but i suppose it is because i bought the tyres from elsewhere??

I did phone beforehand to make sure they were ok doing this and they were fine about it,on the phone.

Trouble now i am thinking are all tyre fitters gonna treat us the same if we do go elsewhere??

Here you go:

Valve Tool

Thanks Jim.

The ones you get in tyre repair kits are steel valve caps but with a double-pronged protrusion on the top (looks like a little tall crown). The prongs are inserted into the valve and twisted gently until they engage with the shoulders of the valve core. Then you simply twist the upside down cap clockwise to tighten the valve core. If you turn it anti-clockwise the core will screw out and allow the air to escape - handy when you want rapid deflation for tyre changing, etc.

As well as this and the example linked above, you can also get an all steel one with acouple of related tyre tools on it. If you haven't got one in a tyre repair kit then Mr. Halford will sort one easily, I'm sure.

Good luck.

Interesting thread. I had mine replaced last year by event-tyres mobile service and mentioned that the back ones kept losing some pressure. He cleaned the wheels and they have been fine since although he did say if there was still a problem get them refurbed.(apart from just having it serviced and they all came back with 40psi in not 29!)

Thanks PMB.

I have phoned a mobile tyre fitter up but they seemed to want to sell me new tyres and wanted nearly £30 a repair :eek:

Its making me wonder more and more if they did a proper job to start with,knowing they could use the RAVs are prone for this excuse just to get more money from us???

Anyway i have had me garage upside down looking for that valve tool and can't find it anywhere,it has been years since i saw it last and have never used it.I think i had a little kit with the small compressor i bought.

Do i need to fully deflate the tyre to tighten the valve??

I fail to see why you should have to pay extra to correct a fault that is obviously theirs.

They undertook the job which you asked for beforehand and paid for it.If they were not going to do a proper jobby they should have said so and let you go elsewhere.

This also means that the service was not up to the standard anyone would expect,if they had supplied the tyres and they deflated would they expect you to to pay?

I would ask if they fit and check their work re air escaping before replacing the wheel on the car.

If the tyres are faulty,which I would doubt,then warranty should apply an cost thee nowt!!

But that would be the responsibility of the supplier and possibly entail you returning them and incurring extra cost for removal and carriage.

As firemac pointed out the wheels are OK and as sure as eggs is eggs,it would have been posted on here if that was not so.

Del

Thanks PMB.

I have phoned a mobile tyre fitter up but they seemed to want to sell me new tyres and wanted nearly £30 a repair :eek:

Its making me wonder more and more if they did a proper job to start with,knowing they could use the RAVs are prone for this excuse just to get more money from us???

Anyway i have had me garage upside down looking for that valve tool and can't find it anywhere,it has been years since i saw it last and have never used it.I think i had a little kit with the small compressor i bought.

Do i need to fully deflate the tyre to tighten the valve??

Hi Paul.

No, you do not need to deflate the tyre. I was simply pointing out that this is the tool a fitter would use to deflate the tyre rapidly in order to remove it from the wheel before, say, fitting a new tyre. If you find/buy a tool then it doesn't do any harm to unscrew the core until you can hear air escaping and then nip it up tight; this will blow any debris out of the valve and ensure the mating surfaces are clean.

Did the tyre depot fit new valves when they fitted your tyres? If so they may not have checked that the cores were tight - often they don't bother. Alternatively, if they left your orig valves in-situ then some debris could have been left behind in the valve so it can't seat properly & you would then lose pressure.

Cheers Del :thumbsup:

I think you are right Del.

If they knew that i could have had problems they should have at least warned us to keep an eye on them,as they are known to leak,according to him???

Jim it was supposed to be all new valves and balanced.

I also asked him,when i phoned why the newish tyres on the front and the old ones that were on the back weren't leaking and he said it's because they have fused to the rim :huh:

Trouble is he won't be there on Friday when we will be able to take em back he said.

Anyhow Mrs P has managed to get the valve tool so i will have a play later when she gets home. :thumbsup: