Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Don't Believe It!

Paulus17

Cheers Del :thumbsup:

I think you are right Del.

If they knew that i could have had problems they should have at least warned us to keep an eye on them,as they are known to leak,according to him???

Jim it was supposed to be all new valves and balanced.

I also asked him,when i phoned why the newish tyres on the front and the old ones that were on the back weren't leaking and he said it's because they have fused to the rim :huh:

Trouble is he won't be there on Friday when we will be able to take em back he said.

Anyhow Mrs P has managed to get the valve tool so i will have a play later when she gets home. :thumbsup:

" it's because they have fused to the rim :huh:" - translated this means "the old ones were fitted properly unlike the ones that I put on for you, i.e. I didn't do a proper job and didn't carry out all the checks that the sealing grooves in the rims were clean beforehand." Let's face it there is always the chance of coincidental wheel failure just when you've fitted new tyres but it's a pretty long shot. If the old tyres were holding pressure OK then the new ones were either not fitted with appropriate care or they are faulty. The latter's unlikely so I'd put my money on the fitter having screwed up. He either didn't clean everything up as he should or didn't check that the valve cores were seated correctly.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulus17

• CharlieFarlie

• firemac

• crofter

Good new and bad news.

Well Mrs P has got home and the tyres seem ok :huh:

Thats the good news though i will check again in the morning.

Bad news is that she has been given the wrong tool?? for the valves.Apparently the young lad in the shop didn't know what she was on about,and as bought the actual valve cores.

Good new and bad news.

Bad news is that she has been given the wrong tool?? for the valves.Apparently the young lad in the shop didn't know what she was on about,and as bought the actual valve cores.

Well, look on the bright side, Paul. When you take the cores back and exchange them for the correct tool, the old one will turn up in your tool box an hour later.

Oh, and you won't need it anyway because your tyres won't deflate anymore.

It's called the joys of motoring.....

Good new and bad news.

Well, look on the bright side, Paul. When you take the cores back and exchange them for the correct tool, the old one will turn up in your tool box an hour later.

I'd call it sods law Jim,but very true :thumbsup:

Well i checked the tyres earlier and they both seem fine with same amount of pressure in both still :huh:

Any idea why this is so folks??

Good new and bad news.

I'd call it sods law Jim,but very true :thumbsup:

Well i checked the tyres earlier and they both seem fine with same amount of pressure in both still :huh:

Any idea why this is so folks??

The law of unexplained consequences. Or else it was kids in the first place.

Could be that the tyres have just settled right on the beads and the very small amount of escaping air has now stopped . The Tyres will have been lubricated with tyre soap and general driving over our bumpy roads could have allowed the stiff beads of the tyres to settle in place.. Other than that I aint got a clue !!! Anyway glad all is well Paul !!

Wee Charlie.

Jim-I might have gone along with the kids,as in my explaination why, but the tyres were down the following morning while the RAV was in the garage over night??

Thanks Charlie.

Would it have anything to do with SWMBO putting extra air in,35lb,to allow for the expected loss of air,and giving a tighter seal??

When she comes home tonight i will drop the pressures down to the required amount and see how it goes from there again. :thumbsup:

Jim-I might have gone along with the kids,as in my explaination why, but the tyres were down the following morning while the RAV was in the garage over night??

Thanks Charlie.

Would it have anything to do with SWMBO putting extra air in,35lb,to allow for the expected loss of air,and giving a tighter seal??

When she comes home tonight i will drop the pressures down to the required amount and see how it goes from there again. :thumbsup:

Ah, but how can you be sure that one of the little beggars wasn't hiding under the spare wheel or hanging onto the back axle when you put it in the garage?

Thanks Charlie.

Ah, but how can you be sure that one of the little beggars wasn't hiding under the spare wheel or hanging onto the back axle when you put it in the garage?

Your right Jim i can't,and i never checked those places either!!!! :D :D

Thanks Charlie.

Paul. Very likely ! Its a little unusual for the tyres to lose pressure and then stop doing so but as said My money is on the tyres have now seated correctly onto the rims and all will be fine .. Fitters often have to inflate the tyres well over pressure to get beads to pop or bang onto the rims. They then reduce the pressure to normal. Perhaps Your ones were not quite where they needed to be ?? Anyway so long as its all fine now !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Cheers Charlie :thumbsup:

They still seem ok tonight so fingers crossed that they will stay like that after getting em back down to normal pressures now.

I still reckon they only fitted em half heartedly though :angry:

Evening all ;)

Well we never had a chance today to take the car and the tyres back,as they have gone down by about 6lb overnight and during today,so we will be off first thing in the morning to see what can be done with em.

I'll report back with some better nnews i hope ;)

Paul as this seems from what You have said to be maybe a seating problem have You considered over inflating the tyres for just a few minutes to see if this may just help with a final push as it were ?? Say to 60 PSI ?? Leave for a few minutes and drop the pressures down to normal ??

Have both tyres dropped by the same amount ????

Wee Charlie.

Paul as this seems from what You have said to be maybe a seating problem have You considered over inflating the tyres for just a few minutes to see if this may just help with a final push as it were ?? Say to 60 PSI ?? Leave for a few minutes and drop the pressures down to normal ??

Have both tyres dropped by the same amount ????

Wee Charlie.

To be honest Charlie i haven't a clue what is causing them to lose now,apart from a leak somewhere. ;)

They didn't lose anything all day yesterday,but had lost a little whem SWMBO came in last night,yes i did check :crybaby:

and this morning had lost a few more lb and a few more by this evening.

They have both gone from 35lb down to 29lb and 26lb.The Rav hasn't been used today.

I was gonna try blowing up em up,over inflating em but wasn't sure by how much?? but we will have to try and get em sorted tomorrow else it will be another week of keeping em blown up :huh:

Paul. You are checking the tyres cold ??? Cos cold pressures will be lower than hot !!

IE. Track and race bikes We always set tyres when stone cold before any laps were put in. Typically 28PSI. If the tyres were the checked after a few laps and then put into the tyre warmers the pressures would increase to typically 34 to 36 PSI .....

I just wondered if Your Wife arrived home in the car and Paul runs out and checks the pressure while the tyres are hot or warm if You like... Then goes out the next morning and of course the tyres have cooled right down and will have dropped pressure ??

Stranger things have happened !!

You can safely inflate the tyres to say 60 PSI so long as You carefully re set them before the car is driven..

Tyre pressures should always be set or checked Cold.. HTH

Wee Charlie.

I have to ask again Paul are both of the tyres dropping by the same amount? I assume You are using the same pressure gauge each time ??

Wee Charlie.

Good point Charlie,but i was going on the basis that SWMBO inflated the tyres while the tyres were hot as she inflated them during her lunch break.She put them up to 35lb and thats how they were when i checked them.Last night she got in and they had gone down to 33lb in the o/s and 31lb n/s.

So cold they are 29-26??

Good point Charlie,but i was going on the basis that SWMBO inflated the tyres while the tyres were hot as she inflated them during her lunch break.She put them up to 35lb and thats how they were when i checked them.Last night she got in and they had gone down to 33lb in the o/s and 31lb n/s.

So cold they are 29-26??

Paul,

Judging by what you've just posted, Wee Charles is probably right. It is essential that you check the pressures at the same temp so that you have consistent comparisons. If you do one reading hot and another stone cold, the diff will be enormous & highly misleading. Set the pressures cold (with a foot pump, ideally) then check them for a few days cold, say first thing in morning, so that temps are more or less consistent.

If you've been checking them hot & then cold & vice-versa, you will have been getting results that suggest pressure loss.

OK Jim/Charlie. :thumbsup:

I will check em in the morn and see what they read.

I am using the same gauge to read em,one of those pen type that push the reading scale out.

If we do over inflate will the car need to be jacked up?? as i don't have an air line so it will have to be the local garage.

OK Jim/Charlie. :thumbsup:

I will check em in the morn and see what they read.

I am using the same gauge to read em,one of those pen type that push the reading scale out.

If we do over inflate will the car need to be jacked up?? as i don't have an air line so it will have to be the local garage.

Paul You will be fine over inflating with the wheels on the ground no need to jack the car up.

Those pen gauges can be a bit iffy depending on the quality of course ! I use a dial gauge that is very accurate as We would when Karting sometimes have to adjust Our pressures by as little as half a PSI. A Reasonable draper dial gauge is less than 30 quid and will last You years !!!

sprocket065.jpg

Wee Charlie.

Thanks Charlie.

I checked the pressures earlier and they are both saying 25lb now.So the rate of loss as slowed right down from the other day when they were almost flat over night.

Charlie i was told when i bought that pen type gauge that they were the more accurate of the gauges available,i have had it for years.I did have a Jaguar one which was supposed to have been very accurate but someonne half inched that one :angry:

Thanks Charlie.

I checked the pressures earlier and they are both saying 25lb now.So the rate of loss as slowed right down from the other day when they were almost flat over night.

Charlie i was told when i bought that pen type gauge that they were the more accurate of the gauges available,i have had it for years.I did have a Jaguar one which was supposed to have been very accurate but someonne half inched that one :angry:

Paul. Any person or mechanic in a pit lane scenario would be laughed at if He was sporting a pen gauge... Snobbery ? Er No. Mate a very high quality one is a very good tool indeed BUT there are so many very poor ones because there are just so many of them ...

Another thing with them is they can be so easy to damage or upset. Simply putting one in Your pocket where tiny bits of fluff may be can affect them.

Because of the inconsistencies You are having with Your tyres and their readings I was just going through all the likely reasons why ? The first thing that struck was hot and cold readings. The second was the tool You are using to get the readings.

Wee Charlie.

Thanks Charlie for your time it is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Just been looking on the bay meself and there are so many different ones.

I have been thinking of getting a bigger compressor as it will be useful for other stuff that i do,so would one of those tyre inflator types with the gauge on be any more accurate?

Or is an independent gauge more accurate?

Hello again.Paul.

Obviously the more you pay for the tyre inflater/guage the better it will be.

I use one of the cheapo ones with the plastic guage,which will be made by the thousand,so accuracy must be to say the least a bit iffy.

It is OK for inflating,but I use a better pressure gauge after.

So,if you have a guage you can trust,I dont see why that can't work for you also.

After all,how many times will you need to use it,when you finally get your problem sorted?

Got agree tho'if I didn't have my guage I would consider the ones mentioned

When you consider how important the pressures are to CF on the track he needs something he can trust!

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links