i have avensis t180 07,im looking to change to

a rav 4 2009/2010. is there any probs with mechanics this age of rav,

that i should be looking out for.

cheers for any advice.

petrol or diesel rav is in question?

cheers

diesel manual.

ty roger

you'll not be provided with true but the below is part of the spots for examination:

- EGR valve;

- SCV;

- injection quality / and condition of injectors;

- RTF tyres - -most drivers change them on normal;

- turbocharger condition;

- consumable filters;

Wait for other tips soonest

Cheers/Igor

Roger I am assuming that coming from a T180 You will be aware of the problems with the AD engines ? But most of the post 09 and all of the cars later than this will not be affected...

As above the Runflats can be considered a problem or a bonus depending on Your personal views and again the later the car the less likely The car will be to have them..

Great cars. Decent space, Very good motorway car with very good comfort and decent economy...

What car have just voted the Rav the best used 4X4 and ultra reliable !!Only thing missing from the higher spec cars after late 09 is the sunroof is no longer an option.....

Pretty much what Your Avensis is really except a fair but bigger. and a higher driving position.. HTH.

Wee Charlie. :thumbsup:

hi ,Wee Charlie.problems with the AD engines,sorry i don,t....

roger

For 2009/2010 models it may be still be to early to say what are the common faults and what to look for. Even with the most extensive test programmes, something nearly always creeps out of the woodwork once in production and its been in the field for a while.

However, most of the problems (e.g. excessive oil consumption, EGR sticking, brake depositing.....) that were seen on the earlier 4.3 version of the RAV have been addressed on the face-lifted (D4D 150 engines) versions. So, if you are looking at those, I don't think you'll go far wrong.

However, most of the problems (e.g. excessive oil consumption, EGR sticking, brake depositing.....) that were seen on the earlier 4.3 version of the RAV have been addressed on the face-lifted (D4D 150 engines) versions. So, if you are looking at those, I don't think you'll go far wrong.

ty for that ,

roger

Roger. A read through this thread will enlighten You about the AD engine problems..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127534

This engine is fitted to Your Avensis if its a T180 some of the later cars had the AD engine fitted.

SCHM. A friend who I met just by chance turned up to a meet in a car badged D4D and He was adamant that His car had the 180 BHP engine so that would be an AD motor ?? car was a 57 plate and is burning lots of oil !!

Roger I dont know for sure when Toyota stopped fitting the AD engine onto the Rav4. Many including Me have had either rebuilds or new engines fitted . My car just two weeks ago had a new Engine , EGR valve, Injectors, Water pump, And a Catalytic converter fitted under warranty by Toyota.

Any AD engined car will benifit from the extended up to seven years or 111.000 miles as My car did so not to much to worry about. If I were buying again I would make sure I was not buying a car with the AD engine simply because as the cars with it approach 7 years of age they will be suspect unless the engine has been replaced ..

That said. Your post says 09 or 10 plate so You should be post AD but still a point worth considering !!

I completely unwittingly bought My T180 (2006) not having a clue about the problems . But I have to say how outstandingly both the Dealer and Toyota stood up to the plate and sorted the whole thing out without fuss or expense to Me !!!

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie. ty for that, bought my t180 june 2010 done london to ireland with no oil burning,

about 2,000/3,000 miles per trip,so hope i dont have an ad engine.

roger

Wee Charlie. ty for that, bought my t180 june 2010 done london to ireland with no oil burning,

about 2,000/3,000 miles per trip,so hope i dont have an ad engine.

roger

Roger of course not all engines are affected !! My point was to mention the ongoing situation with the AD engine in case You Like I din not know of this problem .... How old is Your T18o Avensis ?? I think You will find that all the T180 cars are the common AD engine.

Wee Charlie.

hiWee Charlie. my t180 is 2007,and yes im glad you told me about ad probs,just glad not to have 1.common AD engine.i have a common rail

roger

Charlie,

Not sure what you are referring to, but if I get what I think you mean, then, they are all "AD" engines.

Generally:

2AD-FHV = T180

2AD-FTV = "Standard" 2.2 Diesel

I believe the major difference is the FHV compression ratio is slightly lower and with a slightly higher turbo boost pressure, but I'm sure somebody like Anchs will correct me if I'm wrong :thumbsup:

There are other differences too....I think things like water cooled turbo, etc....blah,blah............

The T180 (FHV) tends to have the DPF, but I believe that can be fitted to the FTV is some markets, so it is not a definitive difference.

My 150 is still an "AD" (2AD-FTV) engine, but it's got the piezo injectors the T180 had originally, but not the DPF, (thankfully!)

My 150 is still an "AD" (2AD-FTV) engine, but it's got the piezo injectors the T180 had originally, but not the DPF, (thankfully!).... thank you for info i understand now

4.3 version of the RAV is this a 2.2?

Charlie,

Not sure what you are referring to, but if I get what I think you mean, then, they are all "AD" engines.

Generally:

2AD-FHV = T180

2AD-FTV = "Standard" 2.2 Diesel

I believe the major difference is the FHV compression ratio is slightly lower and with a slightly higher turbo boost pressure, but I'm sure somebody like Anchs will correct me if I'm wrong :thumbsup:

There are other differences too....I think things like water cooled turbo, etc....blah,blah............

The T180 (FHV) tends to have the DPF, but I believe that can be fitted to the FTV is some markets, so it is not a definitive difference.

My 150 is still an "AD" (2AD-FTV) engine, but it's got the piezo injectors the T180 had originally, but not the DPF, (thankfully!)

Sorry !. My bad. I should of course had said 2AD !!!

Wee Charlie.

how do you find out ,which you have? The T180 (FHV) tends to have the DPF, but I believe that can be fitted to the FTV is some markets, so it is not a definitive difference.

what would members recommend.

looking to trade my 07 t180 for a rav 4.

so spec needs to include satnav,2010year,150 power engine.

4 wheel drive, 5door.manual.

roger

Roger

Unless you want an automatic, you are limited to an XTR. Satnav is an option so you'll have to look out for one.

Shcm - all correct as always :thumbsup:

Roger

Unless you want an automatic, you are limited to an XTR. Satnav is an option so you'll have to look out for one.

Shcm - all correct as always :thumbsup:

Mate the link I posted takes Roger to the XTR..

I have been looking at the SR but it seems the transmission is CVT

From the website.... :Automatic, Multidrive S:

Wee Charlie.

Satnav is an option so you'll have to look out for one.

satnav as im in london i need it

roger