Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ts Broken Seat Pin

fireflyt

Well I seem to have been snagged by the TS common issue of the seat pin breaking on my drivers seat :( To be fair its the first and only fault in 3 years of ownership.

Unfortunately Toyota have suggested that to sort it will require replacing the entire base section of the seat at a cost of around £250 :(

I am sure this has come up several times before, but does anyone have any ideas of sorting this without burning my pocket please?

Cheers again all :thumbsup:

That was the problem I had went too the local scrappy got a complete seat for fifty quid the seat had a tear in it but the rest was ok so I used the frame off that too replace mine. It was the cheapest option I had so why not try the scrap yards.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the pin unfortunately. Its fairly buried away with the seat clamp for the runners.

Will probably have to visit a scrappy like you say.

My driver side seat pin also snapped and resulted the seat stuck in a undrivable position as i could not reach the pedals. The rail system is flawed ill say as it depends on 2 little pins to lift the teeth off the holes that lock onto the rails. 1 pin snaps and your screwed for a £250 new seat fix as the Sport version seat rail system isnt separate.

anyway heres a picture of the seat pin in question.

My driver side seat pin also snapped and resulted the seat stuck in a undrivable position as i could not reach the pedals. The rail system is flawed ill say as it depends on 2 little pins to lift the teeth off the holes that lock onto the rails. 1 pin snaps and your screwed for a £250 new seat fix as the Sport version seat rail system isnt separate.

anyway heres a picture of the seat pin in question.

post-112548-0-97305700-1315244514_thumb.

• 3 years later...

I have drilled the handle and replaced the pin with a M8 threaded rod, filed at the tip to fit the white plastic part. Works ok so far.

IMG_20150124_183450154.jpg

IMG_20150124_183437362.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi and sorry for posting on an old thread, but I believe this is still an up to date issue for many (was for me). I fixed the pin under both of the seats and thought I could share the experience.

First of all, removing and putting back the broken handle is a bit tricky as the seat is not ment to be disassembled. I used a simple spread bar made of a piece of pipe and a hefty bolt+nut to make enough room to work with (pic attached).

I used an angle grinder to clean the stub of the broken pin and a small spinning "dremel" tool with a diamond tip to bore the hole to about 5.5mm (I didn't want to use a drill as the starting hole is not in the center of the stub and I wanted to work it towards the center). I then tapped the hole with 6mm thread tool, inserted a locking nut (10mm hex outer diameter, larger won't fit!) on a bolt and fixed the bolt in the hole. Using an angle grinder and a file I then worked the end of the pin to smooth so it will slide nicely.

Installing took a bit of fiddling even with the spread bar in place, but worked out finally. 

I'd like to thank ivlivs for the initial idea and I hope my details make someones work a bit easier :)

20170712_115105.jpg

20170712_133732.jpg

20170712_133741.jpg

20170712_091407.jpg

20170712_103504.jpg

20170712_104733.jpg

20170712_110550.jpg

Nice job, looks much cleaner than mine :-)

Would it fit on both sides? I remember that one has a smaller clearance.

Good to know that you could remove the handle, I could not figure it out!

There are many ways to do a cheap repair if it works. Mine also broke passenger side, drilled a hole straight through and used a long hard split pin to do the levering. It works but it ain't never gonna be better than original that's for sure. If they made it better to begin with, would't have to deal with this really annoying issue in the first place.

Contact Sam Nadeem on Facebook of SJ Autosports.  He is the UK breaker for all things T sports.  He sold me a seat base for £40 and it's easy to replace the base.  I then got a local firm to weld a new, stronger, pin onto the old base in case it goes again.  Always seems to be the driver's seat as well....probably 'cos it's moved the most.

• 4 months later...
On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, Aamir2892 said:

There are many ways to do a cheap repair if it works. Mine also broke passenger side, drilled a hole straight through and used a long hard split pin to do the levering. It works but it ain't never gonna be better than original that's for sure. If they made it better to begin with, would't have to deal with this really annoying issue in the first place.

I had an issue with my seat sticking and also noticed a failure on a past MOT for this reason, so after removing the seat I found that they had repaired both sides previously , the repair was very poor, one side they had welded on a piece of M4 screwed rod , weld splattered everywhere and the rod squint it did however work on that side but has chewed up the plastic insert, on the other side all they have done is bored a hole and screwed in a long self tapper from the outside , again very poor and not even functioning , couldn't find a bill for it but I am pretty sure the repair was done by tradesman as the last owner was an old lady. Complete rip off merchants !

I have the handle off so ill repair it tonight at work and refit tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links