Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lazy Self Cancelling Indicator On Left Side ?

CharlieFarlie

Is it Me or is the self cancelling indicator on the left side of the Rav a wee bit on the lazy side ? I seem to be constantly finding My one still flashing quite some time after say leaving a roundabout ???. My one is quite quiet as well so I can be sometimes going for some time till I realise .....

Is it somehow possible to make the click of the indicator a little louder ??

Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

Is it Me or is the self cancelling indicator on the left side of the Rav a wee bit on the lazy side ? I seem to be constantly finding My one still flashing quite some time after say leaving a roundabout ???. My one is quite quiet as well so I can be sometimes going for some time till I realise .....

Is it somehow possible to make the click of the indicator a little louder ??

Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

Not sure about increasing indicator volume Charlie but my indicator is the same - it also cancels a bit early if indicating right. I suspect the stalk/ring is slightly out of kilter.

I spotted it as soon as I had the car new but kept forgetting to mention it and have got used to flicking it off now.

Don't know if the ring can be rotated easily and without too much dismantling :unsure:

It could be said that perhaps I should pay more attention... But its not as simple as that . I suppose I've just got used to indicators turning themselves off. Or at least giving an audible warning that I can hear if they don't ...

I have noticed this characteristic since getting the car. Today its happened 3 times so it reminded Me to ask !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

Clare asked the same question yonks ago. You could fit a caravan pulse bleeper but that would probably pee you off just as much.

Sooooo, glad someone has picked up on this one (good on yer Charlie).The indicator buzzer (to use such a term)is not loud enough on the Rav4 and the same can be said for the Urban cruiser. As Anchs said I posted about this years ago,and it seems nothing really can be done to "increase the volume"

I must add I do not have an hearing impediment ( brain one sometimes but not hearing)

Regards Clare

Ok here's what you do.

I know of two options for correcting these other than leaving your finger sticking out.

Option One:Take a length of 8lb fishing line. Tie one end to the indicator arm and then carefully route through the dash and tie the other end onto the appropriate track rod end. When you have completed your turn the line will have pulled taught and cancelled your indicator for you.

Option two: is to fasten a wire to the flasher unit and run it through a small transformer or pulse generator similar to a Tense pain control machine. Attach to your left leg. (It would be dangerous on the right as this is your accelerator leg). When you operate the indicators then you will feel a tingle in your leg. if you forget to cancel then the tingle will continue with each flash which will remind you to cancel.

NOTE option two should NOT be used if you use a pacemaker. :eek:

Ok here's what you do.

I know of two options for correcting these other than leaving your finger sticking out.

Option One:Take a length of 8lb fishing line. Tie one end to the indicator arm and then carefully route through the dash and tie the other end onto the appropriate track rod end. When you have completed your turn the line will have pulled taught and cancelled your indicator for you.

Option two: is to fasten a wire to the flasher unit and run it through a small transformer or pulse generator similar to a Tense pain control machine. Attach to your left leg. (It would be dangerous on the right as this is your accelerator leg). When you operate the indicators then you will feel a tingle in your leg. if you forget to cancel then the tingle will continue with each flash which will remind you to cancel.

Auto solutions by Wallace and Grommit :lol:

Ok here's what you do.

Already tried both of those and they don't work very well .............................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have you tried the old lollipop stick glued to the sterring wheel ploy.

I think that's what Toyota have used already :rolleyes:

As a last resort you could buy a yellow lantern and hang it out of the appropriate window pulling it in after the turn. A left hand drive car is better for the left indicator though unless you have a passenger.

Attaboy!!

If at first you don't suck seed,and they cant make it work take it off 'em.

Take heart,me old Bodger,remember the old adage,you cannot make anything idiot proof as idiots are so bloody ingenious!! :yahoo::yahoo::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Del

first thing i do with my cars; break off the lip so they don't have a self cancelling indicator as i find them terrible as they are going off to soon or to late.

did the same when driving a hgv as i really want the indicator to stay on when making turns and NOT going off halve way to confuse everybody.

The use - or misuse - of indicators is how you can tell a new BMW driver.

Short push up (or down) activates a 3-flash lane-change indicator.

Long push up (or down) activates continuous flashing.

But to cancel, you need to push in the same direction as you activated, because it's a toggle on/ off system.

If you don't rewire your head for it all, you end up indicating all over the place.

Whatever happened to those good old flip out ones?

One could use hand signals but they don't seem to be taught anymore.

Whatever happened to those good old flip out ones?

Do you mean the ones that took two actions to operate,first switch it on with the centre mounted two way switch with the little pimple light on it and then thump the inside of the pillar they were mounted on to actually get the things to work?

Then they would only half way return and you caught them when you got out?

Classic days,eh? We used to have summers then,

Reminisce over.

Del

I'm far to young to remember flick out indicators and those hand signal things !! :unsure: :unsure:

Summers ? What are they ......

Wee Charlie.

Dupicate post - how'd that happen?

You forgot to cancel................

Dupicate post - how'd that happen?

You forgot to cancel................

Do you want a lollipop stick?

Ah, yes, I remember as a kid my dad had a VW with "semaphore" turn signal indicators:

semaphore2.jpg

He also had one of these keys fitted:

128894.jpg

Was there not a time when the indicator arm had a bulb on it that lit up when you turned it on?

Seriosly though it seems this problem does not have an outcome. Will just have to live wih it!!!!

Regards Clare

Ah, yes, I remember as a kid my dad had a VW with "semaphore" turn signal indicators:

semaphore2.jpg

128894.jpg

Steady on there, James, or I may need to come over That Pond and use my Baton 'til it turns Rouge, sir... :lol:

Air cooled Beetle WAS MY FIRST CAR and my pride and joy, and those wee flip-out indicators were a thing of dreams...superb...!!! Every weekend you could see me convert from Catholicism, and get out my wee prayer mat, and kneel at the rear mounted engine....deep joy....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

semaphore2.jpg

128894.jpg

Steady on there, James, or I may need to come over That Pond and use my Baton 'til it turns Rouge, sir... :lol:

Air cooled Beetle WAS MY FIRST CAR and my pride and joy, and those wee flip-out indicators were a thing of dreams...superb...!!! Every weekend you could see me convert from Catholicism, and get out my wee prayer mat, and kneel at the rear mounted engine....deep joy....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Was it rear mounted? I was sure that was the spare one in the boot cos some ratbag would steal the main engine from the front. I liked the old imp for that unbolt the engine and push bthe car forward. Change the plugs, roll it back and bolt it back in. Ohh yeste-year. Only mine wastne a common garden imp it was the predecessor a singer chamour (can't remember how it was spelt but it was a 1964 model still running in the mid 1980s)

Bliss. (not)