Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gps Systems

chrisd8

Hi there I have a 58 plate Rav4 and am thinking about purchasing a GPS system, can anyone point me in the right direction, any recommended websites or models?

I find Tom Toms are the most user friendly. I've got an old 910 model and its been to the USA and Europe with me.

I find Tom Toms are the most user friendly. I've got an old 910 model and its been to the USA and Europe with me.

Thanks for the reply, i was also contemplating buying a new head unit that has sat nav dvd, ipod, blu tooth etc, any recommendations?

Thanks for the reply, i was also contemplating buying a new head unit that has sat nav dvd, ipod, blu tooth etc, any recommendations?

Yes .. Dont !! Tom Toms are by far and above the most simple and effective GPS systems available !! I have factory fit Nav/Stereo Phone systems in My Rav and The XFS Jag and neither work anywhere near as well or are as simple to use as the Tom Tom One XL that I use !

Wee Charlie.

Yes .. Dont !! Tom Toms are by far and above the most simple and effective GPS systems available !! I have factory fit Nav/Stereo Phone systems in My Rav and The XFS Jag and neither work anywhere near as well or are as simple to use as the Tom Tom One XL that I use !

Wee Charlie.

I use the Ovi maps on my Nokia E72. It's brilliant - better than the Go720 in my wife's 5-dr. Highly recommended.

If you really want a built in unit Kenwood and Sony both produce a double din unit, in my opinion the Sony is the better unit due to no other reason it is a Tomtom live unit. Have I installed it - no, I worked out it is far cheaper to buy a standalone unit with a brodit mount!

Gus

I'm inclined to agree on with you on this one Anchorman. No system is perfect but Tom-tom has a pretty good selection of the important features. As Gus says, the Sony double-din headunits use Tom-tom as the mapping system and that, combined with the screen resolution was what persuaded me to fit an XNV-77BT in place of the Toyota unit that came with the car. The satnav module is a removable and about the size of a smallish mobile phone which is easily, quickly and reasonably cheaply updated by connecting it to the web via a PC. Live traffic info is really good and allows you to avoid motorway tailbacks in time. "Eco-routes" are good as well ( for fuel saving ). The Toyota unit had it's plus points - the biggest one for me was the "motorway view" which gave a continuously updated list of the upcoming junctions and services. Wish the Tom-tom had that feature.

I had a discussion with SHCM on the attributes of an ideal system some time ago. We came to the conclusion that we would like to be able to use the unit in car as normal BUT also be able to run the mapping software on the PC so that proposed routes, particularly for longer journeys, could be studied in detail and tweaked if necessary before being loaded into the headunit.

if only GPS needed then a tom tom or so :thumbsup:

when needed more like; music from usb key, ipod, bluetooth hands free calling etc;

dnx5220-04.jpg

swmbo is more then happy with it...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links