Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres

Damned08

Hi all,

Just bought myself a Rav 4.1 swb on a 99 plate. I bought it because I got stuck so many times last year in the snow. Nothing worse than taking 5hrs to get home off a night shift !!!

I need some decent tyres that will cope with snow conditions. The Rav isn't going to be a daily driver, but just a winter run around so don't want to spend a fortune on tyres. What's everyones views ? There are loads to choose from. Been looking at the Falken AT/LA tyres.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarsKy

• CharlieFarlie

• *srjp*

• webleymk3

Get yourself a copy of this weeks Autoexpress, theres a good survey on Tyres,both winter and summer types. Just had quick skite and Continental seem to be flavour of the month.

Regards Clare

Sorry Goodyear not Continental

We got some Nokia WR2 winter tyres last year and they were very good. Have a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk as it brings together tyre reviews from across Europe and has useful user reviews of individual tyres to balance what the technical reviews have to say. There is a section on Winter tyres.

I will be getting ours out of the shed when the first frost comes along.

Need help with Winter tyres.Can any of my fellow Rav4 friends give me some advice on which brands are the best. After last Winter I think I,m going to replace the Bridgestones I have on at the moment for something a bit more adaptable. We don,t get a lot of Snow on IOM but we do get a lot of Rain that turns to sheet ice. My tyre size on the U/C is 195/60/R16 so can you give me ideas on sort and prices.

Regards Clare :help:

Nokian or Falkens would be a good bet. Also Vredstein Wintracs.

Depends what available for your car really.

I use camskill.co.uk. Sure the website is bad (terrible) but the last 3 sets of tyres I've bought have arrived (often overnight) without issue, and I pay £10/corner cash to have them fitted and balanced.

Note if the tyre has a red and a yellow dot painted on it, that means it has been balanced for the valve. The valve goes at the yellow (if memory serves) dot.

I was running Pirelli Scorpion Snow + Ice last winter, coped perfectly well on the roads for daily use although we didn't get a lot of snow to be honest. Useless off-road but maybe that's in part down to the Rav - I think they'd be more than acceptable for the UK roads anyway.

Need help with Winter tyres.Can any of my fellow Rav4 friends give me some advice on which brands are the best. After last Winter I think I,m going to replace the Bridgestones I have on at the moment for something a bit more adaptable. We don,t get a lot of Snow on IOM but we do get a lot of Rain that turns to sheet ice. My tyre size on the U/C is 195/60/R16 so can you give me ideas on sort and prices.

Regards Clare :help:

Okay:

1. Stay away from any supplier who offers an "agressive" tread - they don't understand that it's the tyre compound that is important.

2. Stay away from M+S tyres - they are a gimmick and don't have the tyre compound needed for winter.

3. The Canadians realised M+S as winter tyres were a gimmick and introduced winter tyres with the "snowflake on a mountain" icon as a minimum standard for winter tyres. And it's now being adopted worldwide. That's what you need to look for.

4. I've had Michelin Alpin on my Mazda 6 AWD estate, and Continental ContiCrossContacts on my T180. I recently ordered Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4Ds for my BMW. They're supposed to be better than their 3D version, and the 3D version was winning a lot of awards: see Tyre Reviews The Continentals are also recommended. Always buy 4 - don't skimp on just getting 2.

5. Goto myTyres On their menu select "Complete Wheels" and put in your setup. You can pick winter tyres and alloy or steel wheel packages. You'll get to see the various tyre configurations you can drop down to. 195/60/R16 is not a bad setup as it is, but if you can get narrower widths and a higher profile then all the better.

(Edit2: 163 winter tyres + 16 types of alloys to choose from for the UC!)

6. TyreMen and Performance Alloys are also doing winter tyre and wheel packages.

7. You are correct in not getting fixated on the snow performance. Icy and wet roads are just as bad, if not worse (you can see where the snow is). You will find winter tyres make a huge difference. There will be folk coming on the forum asking if it really makes a difference - it's massive. It's like the difference between plastic and elastic surface when you want grip.

8. "Snowflake on mountain" winter tyres - you won't regret buying them.

Edit1: my insurance company require me to notify them when I put on and take off the winter wheels. They then send out an updated policy. But there's no additional charge.

Edit3: Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D 195/60 R16 99/97 T tyres and DEZENT F High gloss 7.00J x 16 OS 35 alloys. Four off them = GBP 780.00 plus delivery to IOM (even though the 3Ds are M+S rated on mytyres, they have the snowflake).

I agree re the snowflake but won't proper snow tyres be shredded in the UK in no time as a result of it being too warm for them? I understand they shouldn't be used where possible in excess of 7 or 8 degrees C. We had a very warm winter here and I've had to ditch two of my Pirellis as they went from 5mm to 3mm in the space of five months (3k miles max).

I agree re the snowflake but won't proper snow tyres be shredded in the UK in no time as a result of it being too warm for them? I understand they shouldn't be used where possible in excess of 7 or 8 degrees C. We had a very warm winter here and I've had to ditch two of my Pirellis as they went from 5mm to 3mm in the space of five months (3k miles max).

Most of the European brands can be used all year. Continental and Dunlop go out of their way to say their makes can be safely driven in summer.

Ride can be soft, but no significant degradation in performance.

Most of the European brands can be used all year. Continental and Dunlop go out of their way to say their makes can be safely driven in summer.

Ride can be soft, but no significant degradation in performance.

I reckon that even our severest winters (like last two) are pretty mild compared to more northerly extremes and the RAV's 4x4 capability plus any sort of decent M&S tyres are going to be able to cope.I realise that Bridgestone are often thought of as too ubiquitous to be of any use but we've had Duellers on our 5-dr since new in '02 and through last two (severe) winters they've been first class - never got stuck no matter what. And they wear very well into the bargain, Admittedly, I fancy the Continentals next time as I've read some good test reports on them.

I just bought 4 x Hankook Icebear w300's for upcoming winter on a good deal. They get great reviews and my friend uses them up here in the Highlands and really rates them. But IMO you can't go wrong with Vredesteins, I've used them for years on focus St, Mondeo, Golf, T180 never let me down or had any problems. They are good on both wet and dry roads also and tyre noise is not excessive. I have found them to last at least 3 winters. You won't go wrong with them. I would also look at Nokian, I was very tempted to try them out this winter my friend in Norway wouldn't use anything else, the original snow tyre!

Blue

I just bought 4 x Hankook Icebear w300's for upcoming winter on a good deal. They get great reviews and my friend uses them up here in the Highlands and really rates them. But IMO you can't go wrong with Vredesteins, I've used them for years on focus St, Mondeo, Golf, T180 never let me down or had any problems. They are good on both wet and dry roads also and tyre noise is not excessive. I have found them to last at least 3 winters. You won't go wrong with them. I would also look at Nokian, I was very tempted to try them out this winter my friend in Norway wouldn't use anything else, the original snow tyre!

Blue

Blue I've just sent You a PM.. Just posting here in case You miss it .. Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

Blue

Wee Charlie.

I could have sold these three times over! My dad decided he wanted them for the upcoming winter so bought them off me. Couldn't say no as he gave me such a good deal on the T180 to start with.

Blue

Blue

Wee Charlie.

I could have sold these three times over! My dad decided he wanted them for the upcoming winter so bought them off me. Couldn't say no as he gave me such a good deal on the T180 to start with.

Blue

Fair call Mate. I should have just bought them when they were offered !!! Thanks !

Wee Charlie.

Winter wheels are the last thing you wanna buy at the start of summer though. Great investment, my poor T180 was the business in winter last year - nowhere it wouldnt go. Will be missed

Blue

Winter wheels are the last thing you wanna buy at the start of summer though. Great investment, my poor T180 was the business in winter last year - nowhere it wouldnt go. Will be missed

Blue

Blue. I should have bought them and stuck a set of ordinary tyres on for all year use... And only put on winter tyres in extreme weather...... Doh. Bit slow !!!

If things change and they become available You have My number or drop Me a PM ??.

Nice to see You back !.

Wee Charlie.

Blue

Blue. I should have bought them and stuck a set of ordinary tyres on for all year use... And only put on winter tyres in extreme weather...... Doh. Bit slow !!!

If things change and they become available You have My number or drop Me a PM ??.

Nice to see You back !.

Wee Charlie.

Well I might be back with a 4.2 in the not too distant future, perhaps early 2012. Thinking maybe a 2003-05 model XTR or similar as decent second car to run locally, w/e and winter use etc. As much as I miss the T180 my current mileage is averaging 3000/month and would be very costly in the T180.

Blue

Back again same old subject, I,ve contacted all of the Tyre dealers we have on island and they all say the same thing "none instock all on back order". I have been offered a set of 4 Goodyear Blizzards at £120 per corner fitted, is that a good (pardon the pun) price? The main reason I,m asking is that size for my Urbancruiser seems to be a bit of a problem size ( was told this on the U/C forum by another owner). The tyre size is 195/60/16, can you put a different sized tyre on this wheel without it causing problems?

Would really appreciate some help on this one!!!!

Regards Clare

Another place you can look for tyre prices is Tesco tyres http://www.tesco-tyres.com/ .It seems they have teamed up with Blackcircles. I got a quote from them for Yokohama Winter Drive £74.03 fully fitted per tyre. The size I need is 185/60R15 but thats for a Yaris, so obviously they would want more for Rav tyres. Just thought I'd let you all know of another place for trying to get winter tyres, especially as some people seem to be having difficulty getting them. I'll probably get mine from my local Toyota, although I've still to get a price.

My tyres are also on their last legs, about 4mm left at best. I think I ought to replace them before winter but won't be able to afford both winter and summer tyres. What do you think is the best all season choice for about £120 a corner?

It will be 225/65/17 size...

Thanks.

Clare, I'm running a slightly difference size for winter on the Rav4, on the same rims, but can't tell you exactly what is and isn't safe.

215/ 70/ 16 (winter) vs 235 /60/ 16 (summer).

It puts the speedo out by something like 3% according to the online calculators.

225/65/17 Yokohama Winter tyres available from me, early October for £154 plus carriage WHILE STOCKS LAST

I WILL have stocks, already confirmed, the tyre houses will promise the earth but you will be lucky to see many, particularly if we get a heavy fall of snow

I will post up a tyre matrix with prices for all models in the next few days

I also have some options on extra steel or alloy wheels for certain models, for those who wish to keep winter/all year tyres on the original rims

Kingo :thumbsup:

Good point, act now to avoid disappointment.

Another option is to use the Kwik Fit reserve online feature. They know they are getting creamed by Blackcircles/mytyres/camskill, so you can often get large discounts using Reserve And Collect. In fact, you can even reserve from your smartphone in KwikFit Reception ;)

Good point, act now to avoid disappointment.

Another option is to use the Kwik Fit reserve online feature. They know they are getting creamed by Blackcircles/mytyres/camskill, so you can often get large discounts using Reserve And Collect. In fact, you can even reserve from your smartphone in KwikFit Reception ;)

Print-off a list of tyres you like and take the list down to your local Kwik-Fit. They will usually match the price and they often do fitting for free if you blag it.

There was a delay in myTyres delivering - I think it must be Western Europe gearing up for winter tyres, and they are mandatory in Germany. But they are shipping now.

Just in time for a September heat wave in the UK.

Anyone taking bets on the early snow forecast for October?